Paul was working extra hard to make room at the end of the month to visit our families. So with him gone so much, most celebrating was done by the kiddos and me in simple ways in our home. And we had a delightful time...
So here is my journaling of some of my favorite parts of the pre-Christmas spirit that was in our house during the holiday season...
The Christmas tree. The kids were excited to get our tree, which we did the first night Paul had off after we got back from Thanksgiving.



The kids loved picking it out, and when it was home they loved smelling it over and over and over.

Fascination with the tree stayed throughout the month... often taking the form of broken ornaments and oodles of needles on the floor.
The Nativity Story. For our first family home evening of the month, we did the felt story of Jesus' birth. The girls were enamored. We wrapped and gave the kids each a little nativity set, which they played with constantly throughout the month. Abby, especially, carried them everywhere. MUCH to my surprise, she didn't lose a single piece.
The nativity was truly an intricate part of our month, as the kids weaved it into their play, songs, and prayers.
Bekah particularly loved the Angel, and as she pretended, would exclaim--"Mary, you're going to have a baby!! He will be Jesus!" The dress up clothes always helped her in her role.
Abby's part was usually baby Jesus. She would do these quiet, sweet, high-pitched babbles and cuddle and curl up to us. So cute. One morning, Bekah and Abby were playing and I heard a series of comments from Bekah... "Oh, baby Jesus. You are so sweet." "Oh, baby Jesus. Are you happy?" "Mom, baby Jesus hurt me!"
Christmas Music. Once we got home from our Thanksgiving trip, it didn't take long for me to resurrect the Christmas playlist, and the kiddos caught on instantly. There was always Christmas music going in our home, and when it wasn't playing it was being sung or hummed. In fact, Bekah perfected her "L" sound while singing "fa la la la la" again and again. I love Christmas music.
The Christmas Parade. We went to the city Christmas parade with the Rowleys. Pizza and hot cocoa on the curbside in (low) 60 degree weather. Christmas parades don't get much better than that.

I had Ella semi-bundled up, but ended up taking off her hat off so she could see...

Christmas Lights Drives. One of my favorites. I took the kiddos on many night-time Christmas lights drives. Paul worked so many nights that month, and there were many times that, after a hectic day, all I felt like doing was driving slowly and delaying the bedtime routine a bit longer. That, and... without snow and cold weather, it is one of the things that really helps me feel like it is Christmas around here. It ended up being a highlight for all of us and I'll never forget how fun it was. Their favorite sayings were "Holy Kookahookee" "Holy Patoot" when they saw well-lit homes.
Once the kiddos got into Christmas lights, they provided the extra encouragement for Paul to put up our own lights outside. They were soooo excited that their own house had Christmas lights, too!
Michael's School Snacks. We brought snack twice during the month, and Michael and I had a special time thinking about them and creating them together. I especially love when they are HIS creations.

Michael's Thoughtful Presents. Michael made CDs of his favorite Christmas songs for his friends. He picked out the songs, graphics, and labeled the jacket cover. I love how deliberate and thoughtful he was through the process. Then we made chocolate-dipped peppermint marshmallows together... I love doing projects with Michael.
He loved picking out presents for his dad and sisters. I loved his excitement, especially, as he picked out the princess Minnies he gave to Abby and Bekah.
Our "Gingerbread House in a Box." We saved it for an evening when Paul was home.
My picture-perfect expectations of family bonding were far from realized, but a good time was had by all. I loved Michael's excitement for the whole process. Abby amazed me with her patience and attention to detail. Everyone just had to deal with Bekah snitching off the gingerbread house over, and over, and over. She thought she was being so sneaky.
This did help renew Michael's love affair with candy canes.
Don't ask me why, but my husband loves High School Musical. It was his insistance that got our family to the theater on opening weekend of HSM 3. The kids loved it, and Paul downloaded the soundtrack right away when we got home. So the holiday season was full of High School Musical dance parties.
12 Days of Christmas. Michael chose who we would do our 12 days of Christmas for this year. We did our "California Grandma," Roma (repeat from last year... but she LOVES it), and the Rowleys (our bestest friends across the street). Ringing and running each night with him was so fun. He is so good at being sneaky! Cute Roma knew it was us, but for Michael's sake would open the door and loudly ooh and aah and wonder who was leaving such wonderful things for her! We love Roma.
Christmas books. Thanks to Paul's mom and my own obsession with Children's books, we have quite the collection of them. I loved reading each of them several times during the month. I saved some of the more serious ones for bedtime with Michael, and he listened sweetly as I cried through "The Miracle of Jonathan Toomey," "The Three Trees," and "Christmas Oranges."
Again, the books were woven into daily activities. I loved Abby and Bekah's squeaky voices pretending to be "Ginger-Cookiebread" Men... running, running as fast as they could. And "Twas the Night Before Christmas" taught Abby that Santa comes down the chimney. She spent some significant time yelling up the chimney: "Santa! Are you there??!!?"

Remembering Christ. I found this scripture advent countdown with different names of Christ. Michael loved listening for the name in the scriptures and looking for the piece to tape on the tree, and I had a few special personal reminders while we read the scriptures about the amazing miracle of our Savior.
I love Christmastime. It is always hard to see it leave. But a new year is refreshing, and holds the promise of another Christmastime to come. I can't wait for it. Christmastime just gets more and more fun...

6 comments:
First! Amy, when are you going to add me on facebook?
What a fun, busy, special, exciting, memorable month you had! I'm glad we got to see you again over the holidays. Good luck settling into the New Year! I still need to take Christmas down...
Sweet post Amy. Kiddos make Christmas so much better.
I love imagining what Abby's baby Jesus voice sounds like. The personal nativity gift is a great idea.
Michael, Aaron loves his Christmas music CD and can't wait to listen to it again next year! Next year we'll have to do a few Christmas light drives together. Oh won't that be fun!
I finally have Christmas down...on the main floor. Lafe was really sad to take the tree down. He wanted to leave it up all year and just put new ornaments on it for the different holiday. I actually considered it for a whole day, but daddy didn't like the idea too much.
I have found most all of the little dickens people except for the skating couple. Do you think Bekah or Abby might know where the skaters are? We are glad all those dickens people got to surround baby Jesus and remind us all what Christmas is about. We miss you.
Your picture at the top of your blog is so cute. Did you watch Extreme Home Makeover this week? They had twin girls on there named Abby and Bekah.
Love to read your sweet stories about your cute kids.
Post a Comment