Sunday, December 21, 2008

two killer albums...




two new albums from two of my favorite artists within weeks of each other...it must be christmas.

those of you who haven't yet discovered the killers...now is the time. goodness awaits in the form of 4 solid albums. this latest album is more of what you would expect from the killers...soaring vocals, witty and probing lyrics with guitars and strings blended seamlessly. and did i mention brandon flowers is mormon?

i came late to the world of kanye. but since beginning a journey through his music over the summer, it seems i've been ushered into a world worth knowing. he puts an originality and spin on the rap genre that is innovative and palatable (unlike most other raps stars work...) his prior albums gave me a glimpse into rap culture that was intelligent, informative and satisfying. however, this latest album is a departure for him. it is meant as a pop album and is in a different vein than his prior work. those put off by the language in his earlier albums will be happy to know all these songs are void of profanity. he uses the auto-tuner (voice modulation) too much and it softens the edge of his more poignant songs. but it is overall a nice 4th offering from mr. west...

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard some stuff from the killers and like what I heard. I think it's much better than what I used to listen to in high school (Korn, Disturbed, Limp Bizkit). Those were the crazy days, expecially after concerts where I would leave the mosh pits with cuts and bruises.

paul said...

mikey: good points. sometimes crazy days were good days. and the last two concerts i attended (weezer and white stripes) i kept yearning for someone to at least bump into me so i could bump back. no cuts and bruises...just some innocent pushing :)

with disturbed...the occasional listen is like leaven in your musical mix...a steady diet..?..disturbing.

Stephen said...

paul: we need to get you to more concerts...

a new york trip perhaps?

Jenni Coberly said...

I've loved West for awhile now. I have a lot of his music on my ipod. I too am excited about his new album. I also really like the Killers. Good music choices Paul. I have a $15 iTunes card just waiting to be used. I think I will have to download these songs.

I think West uses the voice over mechanism because he really can't sing. Sad, but true. It's not going to stop me from listening though. They are good tunes.

paul said...

true jenni, his voice is not the best. he is a good listen though. i'm glad we agree on music. now i just need to get my hands on the new britney album...

stevie: not all of us can be hipsters like yourself. if only i could...

paul said...

here is a great article about the killers latest.

here is a fun mormon take on nevada, mormonism, brandon flowers and the killers.

fun that brandon's son is named, "ammon".

paul said...

i work 9p-7a that night stevie. i would love to go with you. i would trade the night off, but amy might have a few words to say about me buying a plane ticket to attend a sunday night concert...

bex said...

don't worry. i went to a party last night and all the Killers were there. and brandon flowers wasn't drinking water. Also, they looked very human. No dancing.

paul said...

very nice becca. they have a concert there tonight? was brandon wearing eyeliner? I take it this wasn't a party of your single's ward..:)

Jenni Coberly said...

I'm not sure if you are implying that I like Britney, but it's funny that you say that. For the first time in her career there ARE a couple of songs that aren't that bad. I've almost downloaded one of them and then had to refrain. :)

paul said...

give in jenni. give in.

Wakan Family Blog said...

Paul,
I will check out Kanye for sure, I do like his sound, funk and spin as well. If you say the album is good, I will have to check it out. My native/white kids need to have some rhythm & bounce put in their blood. Maybe this will help out.

petey said...

paul: reminder. check out band of horses

paul said...

thank you peter, i will. i was trying to recall their name from the conversation we had...this helps.

Dad (TMF) said...

Paul and Amy: I just went through all of your posts since November. Great posts. I would think you would have had 14 posts on each of those rather than this one about music. Where are people's priorities? My grandkids should be first!

Stephen said...

time for a new post...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails