
"100 points will get you a sexy lady!" followed by many ha ha ha's from him and his friends...
!!! What?? My ears perked *right* up to listen in to what was happening. Another boy said, "1000 points will get you a fashion model." !?!?
I gave Michael a *look* and he looked back with wide eyes. It was completely apparent that he didn't know what he was saying.
From what I could gather they were keeping points for something and were giving "rewards." The teacher didn't hear, but transitioned to a new activity soon after that.
So tonight when doing standbys before bed, I told him: "There's something I want to talk to you about."
Michael: "Is it about sessy lady?" (he pronounced it a little "off"... further indicating that he had NO idea what he was saying)
Me: "Yes. It seems like you know you were saying something inappropriate."
Michael: "Yeah. But I don't know why."
Me: "Then why do you think you said it?"
Michael: "Well, Bowman just said it. And then Tanner said it. But I didn't know what it was all about."
What followed was a conversation about what the word really means. How it is not the way Heavenly Father wants people to see his daughters. About modesty and how bodies are special.
We figured that Bowman and Tanner probably didn't know what it was all about either, but probably heard it from an older brother or something.
I've actually been waiting for a conversation like this. A chance to be a little more frank than just the "if you see anything that makes you feel uncomfortable..." thing. When talking about pornography, a mother I really respect once told me "it isn't IF our boys will see it... but WHEN and HOW they will choose to react to it." So scary and so true.
So we talked about how there will be times in his life when he will see, on TV or on the internet or in things that people show him, pictures that are "sexy." I was fairly open. I explained a bikini. I used the word naked. But we talked more about his spirit and knowing right from wrong. And we talked about the "sneaky" feeling that he might have--a sure indicator that it is wrong. We talked about how he might feel like he should hide it or try and forget that it happened. But that he can always talk to us about it and we can figure it all out together. That we will always want to help him.
We talked back and forth for a bit. Then I asked him if there had been another time when someone did or said or showed him something that made him feel uncomfortable in this way.
Michael: "Yeah," he said. "A couple of days ago there was a kid in another class who said something that made me feel that way."
Me: "Really? What did he say??"
Michael: "Well... It was about BYU."
He was very serious and I could tell he was disturbed.
Me: "What was it that he said?"
Michael: "He said 'BYU is P-O-O'. "
I almost laughed out loud, but maintained a serious, concerned face.
Me: "And that made you feel uncomfortable inside?"
Michael: "Yeah."
Sweet innocent Michael. May you always be so sensitive and open with me.

I am so glad for your strong sense of right and wrong. I am so glad you talk to me. I hope I didn't overload you tonight. At the same time, I never want to be too late to warn you. To prepare you. To give you the tools to keep you close to the Spirit, your Savior and Heavenly Father, and your parents who love you so fiercely that we would do anything we could to keep the bad away. To preserve your special spirit.
Please keep telling me the things that make you uncomfortable. I want to always be open with you, and I hope you will return the gesture. I want to be in the fight with you... the fight to keep your innocence and tender-heartedness. There are so many influences wanting to steal it from you. Stay away, Michael. Stay so far away.
And while you're at it... you can stay away from the little turd who says BYU is poo, too.

7 comments:
Amy, I am so with you on this one! We equip our kids with all kinds of knowledge: how to brush their teeth, search the scriptures, play basketball, but when it comes to these topics, it seems like so many parents (mine included) cross their fingers and hope their kids are living in a bubble and won't hear anything. Satan is trying to beat us to the punch these days, and unless we establish these things in a positive, sacred context, Satan will get to establish them in his. I want what Ash and I teach to be first in their minds, not last. We have to empower our kids with knowledge about something so incredibly important. I just love you! Call me sometime. 801-253-5183. xoxo
I love this post. it scares me a little bit that at 7 years old boys are already conditioned to see women in this way (even if they don't know exactly what they're hearing or saying), but I love the way you handled it. AND, I especially love that michael was so sweet about everything.
I wouldn't like someone who said BYU is poo either. NOT NICE.
Isn't it such a blessing to be a mother. I love the opportunities that I have had to talk openly with my girls about things like this. I love that they are still open and honest with me and they feel they can come to me. I hope that continue as the teenager years are quickly approaching. Oh boy!!
You handled this situation beautifully. Michael is lucky to have such a great mom!! I love reading about his love for BYU. I've never seen anything like it. It's awesome!
What a great mothering moment, and what a sweet boy to talk with you so frankly about it all. This surely will be a "not if but WHEN and HOW it will be handled" topic I will encounter in the future. Thanks for your example. You know, sometimes we think we have to do so many extra things to help our kids be "successful" in life, but I think moments like this are really what it's all about. Being there, being ready to talk about it...helping your kids learn how to confide in you and share their feelings. Way to be there Amy. :)
It's scary, isn't it? To think of all the things our innocent children will be exposed to. It's nice to know there are other mothers in the same boat, fighting the same battle to prepare our children for the temptations and trials that are ahead. I'm glad you wrote this conversation down. And I like the way it ended too. :)
Oh, Amy, your post made me laugh! It also made me nervous for when I need to start talking to my boys about this kind of thing! I think you handled it wonderfully!!!
Would it have made any difference if his friend had been talking about the 'U'?
Post a Comment