We are learning the twinkles right now (variations of twinkle twinkle little star), and for the recital they had "polished" some pre-twinkle songs: The E String and A String Concerto, and "I'm A Little Monkey." What fun!
They loved practicing for the recital. They would walk in from the other room... with a very serious face, announce the piece, and play it with various degrees of refinement, and take a deep bow to my applause. It was fun to see the fruits of practice and anticipation displayed on the stage of this little recital hall.
They are lucky enough to have a daddy who can accompany them. They love playing with their daddy.
I was sitting to the side, and should have moved to get better video. You can barely hear a little voice announcing the songs, then Mrs. Stirling (who is sitting right in front) gives them reminders about their posture, etc.
Here is Bekah playing E String and A String Concerto.
Bekah playing I'm a Little Monkey
Abby playing E String and A String Concerto and I'm a Little Monkey
Grandpatty came, and so did Aunt Melinda and cousins Aaron and Baby J. It is always fun to have a cheering section.
As practicing with the kids takes up more and more of my time, I am realizing the value of having this one-on-one time with them. Time working toward goals. Time being productive. Time doing hard things. Time to motivate and inspire, and exercise patience and long-suffering. It is bonding and it is meaningful.
It varies in success. Sometimes there are tears and grumpy faces, but often there is willingness and excitement. It is always work for me. It is usually emotionally draining. It is always hard to fit it into the schedule... between Michael's cello and piano, and Abby and Bekah (who need separate practices now) it should all take around 3 hours out of my day--and some days it just doesn't happen. Because sometimes we skimp... and sometimes we just skip. But I am always remembering the scripture that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass (Alma 37:6).
I love seeing their confidence bloom. I love cheering for them. I love sharing hard work and success. I love that they love music. And I love that they can make music.

5 comments:
I love it! Although, I really wish I could see the videos... it just says they're private... any ideas?
should be fixed :)
awe. loved being there. love them.
Yay! That is so awesome. They have great technique! I didn't realize they were taking violin...Austin has been taking for about 6 months and just had his first recital in December. I have a couple pics up on my family blog...although I haven't been able to figure out video yet...
Nice job girls! The technique sure is coming along well. I love the cute recital dresses too.
Post a Comment