Sunday, February 20, 2011

New Year's with the Frandsens...

The day my family left we started a packed few days with Paul's family.

Our time together began solemnly and sweetly. Just after Christmas Paul's Uncle Ron passed away. It was expected, but sudden. He had ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) and had been slowly declining, but we all simply thought he had more time than he did. As his son said, he left on his own terms... without the need of a ventilator, feeding tube, or hospitalizations. He passed away just after a Christmas holiday when he was surrounded by those he loved the most. He had spent time with each side of extended family, and had all of his children and grandchildren in his home Christmas Eve and Day. The tender mercies that surrounded the circumstances were faith promoting, as were the words and attitudes of his family.


I have experienced loss with my grandfathers, and I simply cannot imagine reasoning death without the knowledge of Jesus Christ. Knowing that there is Life after death, and that there is a way to have eternal happiness with our family members, our Savior, and our Father in Heaven helps takes the sting out of death. For those left behind, it will always be hard, but at least there is true hope with this faith. Paul and I love Ron's family so much. They are good friends and we look up to all of them in so many ways.

Paul's dad and Aunt Shauna


I will never forget the sweet spirit in the funeral service as Shauna and her three children Jill, Nick, and Peter all shared their love and fond memories of their husband and father, and the journey they traveled together through this experience. From sorrow came inspiration and powerful testimony. I am so grateful for the gospel and a Savior.


It was truly bonding talking through it all and feeling the emotions and spirituality with Paul's family. That is the wonderful thing about funerals and coming together to grieve and hope. I think it makes those left behind closer and gives clarity to the purpose of life. And there is much to be learned from a life like Ron's.

The funeral was on the day of New Year's Eve, and there was definite soberness as we gathered at Paul's parent's house. We didn't throw the New Year's bash we had previously planned with balloons, noisemakers and firecrackers... but sat down to a thoughtful dinner.


We went around the table and shared our favorite parts of the year, and had the "unveiling" of a new family theme: "We Are All Enlisted" in God's army... complete with t-shirts and dog tags. We quickly put the kids to bed, and stayed up and talked about parenting, family, and plans. Paul's cousin Gabrielle was there to add to the dimension of the conversation. Luckily Stephen gathered noise making apparatus so that we could properly bring in the New Year.



I definitely have more pictures of this gathering. It does help to have a professional photographer for a sister-in-law who kindly sends a cd of all the pictures to us. (THANK YOU Libby... every picture in this post is from you!)

The next morning, Paul's mom designed to have a New Year's morning of opening family presents together. But make no mistake... With a big yummy breakfast and all the feelings and joy of giving and receiving, it was just about as exciting and special as Christmas morning itself. Minus the Santa stuff. :) I love the thoughtfulness of Paul's parents and siblings to each other. So much love is poured into each gift. It was a fun morning.

We enjoyed watching our nephews, and the kids basked in all the attention of beloved aunts and uncles, Grandpatty and Grandpappy.

Cute Aaron and baby J... I love that you can still see the hospital band on Jonny's wrist, even though baby J is over a month old. :)


The girls loved these headbands that were part of a new outfit...




I wonder how long we were there all together just opening presents and enjoying them together??







And the girls all got new boots from Hannah and Lafe. Oh, the excitement. They also got Michael a byu ball set and a Jazz wristband that he wears every day. So thoughtful.


Later that day, a birthday celebration for Libby Lou.


Sunday we celebrated the newest addition to the family. Sweet baby Jared. Can you believe these precious cheeks?? He is a sweet little man, and Jonny and Melinda are genuine, purposeful parents.


What a sweet experience to gather with the same extended family that just grieved the loss of one member, to now welcome the newness of another. It was a poignant way to bring in a New Year.

Four Generations of Frandsen Men. A Force to be reckoned with... :) DJ fits right in, of course.


And Four Generations of the women who love them. Guest appearance by Hillary, whom Ella absolutely loves.

(Yes, I feel sheepish that my girls are without tights and shoes in this important family picture. But all I can say is that they had switched to dress up mode (dance costumes and animals...) so we are lucky we got their dresses back on... )

And I love this picture of my girls getting loves from Great-Grandma Frandsen and Grandpatty...


What a wonderful holiday season we had this year. Filled to the brim with family and experiences together. Between Christmas and the New Year, we felt a whole lot of love.

Does it get any better than this?? I always want to be surrounded by family during the holidays.

1 comment:

Dad (TMF) said...

I'm crying again. THanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails