
linked here are two great articles.
first about the shape of our current energy problems (and the absurdity taking place on capitol hill--lieberman blaming speculators, mccain offering to drop the gas tax and obama offering a charity tax on the oil companies to help the poor...) prices are high because demand is up and not enough oil is being pumped. inadequate oil pumpage is probably more likely because of infrastructure inadequacies than greed and politics...
and
second about the possible shape that future energy options may take. i've always felt optimistic that when the demand was great enough and the developed world's corporations and start-ups found enough motivation (money) in the prospect, that they would find economically and scientifically viable energy options...
meanwhile, we need to decide whether to upgrade to another pilot.

12 comments:
paul.
i here the next gen pilot is pretty amazing.
i personally need to decide whether to upgrade to the next gen iPhone.
oh what similar/different lives we lead...
i'll give your articles a read when i get more time.
decisions, decisions...
Ah yes, decisions decisions. :) Meanwhile, just in case you haven't checked Mikey and Anna's blog lately, they got into med school at George Washington!
And I just can't wait to see beautiful baby Ella and her sweet family. What a fun weekend this will be.
whoa.
did i really type here instead of hear?
hear here.
Save the prairie dogs!! :) This is a huge issue here in CO. Don't even get me started.
I drove my friends Pilot once and it was okay. I have to say that the minivan rocks!! It's the best to travel in. I know that some people get concerned about the coolness of it, but I tell you, once you drive one you won't go back. They are so comfortable and practical...and mine gets great gas mileage.
i love prairie dogs...
hmmm, just okay huh? didn't you and chris have an armada for a while? did he feel the move to the mini-van was good for him too..?
Chris is actually the biggest fan of the minivan. I love the new GMC Acadia. I love the way they look. He did have an Armada for work purposes. It was terrible for gas mileage and drove really bumpy....like a truck. We sold it right before our move here.
i agree on the acadia.
some good food for thought...
We clearly have an energy crisis. However I am one that does believe that the speculation is the cause of the big jump. We have seen a 40% jump in oil prices in the last 6 months. There has not been any major interuptions in the supply nor a big enough jump in demand to justify the current price. OPEC has come out and said they think supply is adequate so something else is effecting the market. I hope it is the speculation and that this bubble bursts soon. One positive is that more people are getting more serious about alternative energy sources.
Darin
darin: if you're talking about the oil futures market then i disagree. the oil futures market is not hoarding enough (any) oil to cause inflation in price.
i would love this to be a bubble that bursts.
there are better ways to force alternative energy technology than a crash/recession in the world economy and instability, hunger and death in the poorer economic areas of the world.
mccain has consistently pushed for cap and trade in recent years...
If you look in to the minivan idea - be really careful about what brand you choose. We had some good friends get t-boned a couple of years ago in a Chrysler Town and Country, and the thing completely broke in half. Luckily her kids were not in the car, or they would have been dead. I've heard other similar stories, this is the only one that I know about first hand. Just be careful and do your homework...which I know you will.
Post a Comment