
well, it looks like the rom is done.
it looks like the republican party has chosen mccain.
i have always admired mccain's willingness to take a stand for moderation when he felt compelled regardless of what the party hardliners thought. however, with his temper and his stance on the war (i want to stay so our 19 year old boys can say they won)...it's looking like i will vote democrat unless he changes his tune over the next 9 months and the democratic candidate makes a big enough case that they are going to really botch healthcare...
it was a run while it lasted mitt. you didn't run the perfect campaign, and would probably have won more votes if you'd spoken your mind more often. but it was fun thinking that we would have a really intelligent president of integrity working on the complex problems we face...
i felt better reading my cousin gabrielle's email venting her frustrations. i could take heart in some of what she says, but it is a pretty critical time in our nation's history and having someone with romney's ability would have been pivotal. but what can you do? it looks likes we'll have a 'community organizer' as president and i will probably have voted for him...
last night i spoke with rob, a friend from medical school who is a stanch ute and he said after florida he felt in a funk like after a loss in a byu/utah game. that was certainly what i felt then and what i'm feeling now.
amy didn't love that fact tonight since we were celebrating the girls two-year birthday, but we got some good pictures and they couldn't tell the frustration i felt as they blew out the candles.
after the crappy results i went up and read the final two chapters of 'where the red fern grows' to michael and he was wiping tears off my cheek as i finished the story. i don't think i've cried like that in years. amy slept through the final moments of the book...but she hasn't been reading it with us and was exhausted from the party preparations. so she is excused, but she did miss seeing me cry outright...something i haven't done for a very long time...
but please don't misinterpret. i didn't cry for romney...i cried for billy, his dogs, and his ultimate faith in god through adversity.

15 comments:
I thought their birthday was today! I have been planning my birthday phone call to them for days! Did I really miss it? Isn't it Feb. 6? I am a bad aunt... really...
I must say I was a little depressed as I sat in front of CNN last night watching the results come in. DJ was sulking around the house for a couple hours, and decided he needed to go play tennis to get some of his frustrations out. I do have to say that I hate Huckabee with all of my little heart. Just wanted to throw it out there.
Does anyone else think there is a possibility there is room for a third party? I feel like the probable nomination of McCain leaves a huge block of voters who don't have a candidate that truly represents them. ...maybe the conservative party?...
My sentiments are similar to Libby's, but it is a two-party system and always will be. Mitt would just be going 2 vs. 1 again, with the same probable results.
Don't know if I can call myself a republican anymore, though. The party has obviously become a machine willing to leave a large part of its constituency behind.
But take heart. Mitt is still young (relatively speaking). In 76' Ford took the nomination from Reagan only to loose to a pathetic Carter white house that was ousted after 4 years. We all know what happened from 80' to 88'.
Happy birthday girls!
#1: if hillary and mccain take the nomination, bloomberg may jump in the bunch. i myself would be happy to cast a vote for bloomberg over either of those two as he represents my stance on both social and fiscal issues.
#2: we will have a president who is competent and full of integrity: barack obama.
#3: I too am sad that mitt didn't do better, as a mitt win would guarantee a democratic president. with mccain winning (if hillary wins too), i'm afraid there is a slight chance we will have ANOTHER republican in the whitehouse.
#4: i would be even happier to see huckabee somehow win as it would probably be the first time in 100 years that utah would go democratic.
#5: paul: it's good to hear that you can still cry.
and if you're wondering why the return came back like they did last night in california, please see my web log.
Today (the 6th) is the girls' birthday... you are right Libby, not mistaken! We celebrated it yesterday because Paul works all day today. It was fun and I'll be posting pictures, etc. when I can get around to it (hopefully today!).
Perhaps we shouldn't have planned it for Super Tuesday. It proved to be a dichotomy that was hard for us (especially Paul) to balance.
Whatever happens/happened with the republican nomination, the general election seems to inevitably belong to the democratic party this year. Don't mean to sound faithless and dooms-day-ish, but this general election belongs to the democrats, anyway.
The country is ready for a change... so is the republican party. The numbers are overwhelming when you see how many democrat voters turned out at the polls as opposed to republican voters. People are just excited about "change"... and that seems to mean "democrat" to many in America.
Is there any chance for an Obama/Romney ticket? Then we could have all the grace and charm of Barak and the brains of a health care plan that isn't suffocating and some actual plans for the economy.
Oh, well. Let us lick our wounds and hold our heads high until 2012 when republicans can come to their senses once again and have a sensible nomination.
Well, I will refrain from responding to Stephen.
***will power***
Paul, I just finished Where the Red Fern Grows with my boys on Monday afternoon, and was bawling all through the last two chapters. I don't know if my boys could even understand me!
I think I need to go out and see a really good comedy. Something to smile about! Any suggestions?
And, happy birthday to your girls!! I think you are over the most difficult part of having twins (if mine are any indication), at least, until they are both teenagers!
happy birthday girls! I can't believe they are getting so big!
gabrielle, please don't refrain. we welcome an honest and open dialogue on this web log, isn't that right paul?
amy: i tried calling to wish the girls a happy birthday, but couldn't get through. give them my best and let them jump off some tables into your arms for me.
libby: you definitely didn't miss it. good aunt status is no predicated on calling on a niece or nephew's birthday.
matty: mitt surely young. he is certainly intelligent. he also carries some difficult, hard to elect baggage--flip flops and mormonism...
stevie: silly stevie.
stevie: open and honest. that's all i ask.
amy: a dichotomous day to be sure.
gabrielle: i had the same thought about michael being able to understand through the tears and the cracking voice. how did your boys take it? michael will be 5 in july and while he latched on to billy and the dogs in a general sense. the tragedy at the end escaped him (which may be good).
a good comedy? 'juno': a simply outstanding, heartfelt, warm, laugh out loud coming of age comedy.
Just watched Romney's speech as he suspended his campaign. Unfortunately, as Paul said, the writing is on the wall and the numbers are just stacked against a successful campaign.
Here are the numbers:
McCain = 720 delegates
Romney = 256
Huckabigot = 194
Ron Paul (as abandoned by Stevie) = 14
1,191 delegates are needed to win the republican nomination.
As Romney stated, he doesn't want his campaign to aid the Barak/Hillary movements:
Barak = 838 delegates
Billary = 834
2,025 delegates needed to win the democratic nomination.
So the republican side is basically decided. What remains to be seen is who McCain decides to string along as his seedy sidekick.
It will be a straight up boxing match between the democrats. Lots of exciting debates to be seen.
But during Romney's speech, I had a lot of feelings... mostly feelings of gratitude. He talked about the culture of America and spent a lot of time defending the values of family and marriage.
He powerfully talked about the need children have for both a mother and a father in the home, and that our country is suffering because of unwed parents. What politician comes out to defend such things?
He spoke against legislation that will tear at the fabric of traditional marriage.
He also spoke of the selfless sacrifices of our country in the past in defending liberty, our families, and our freedom... that our country defends liberty throughout the world without the taking of land, etc. as a reward.
I hope he remains a strong, strong political force. The republican party needs him, before many of these values are compromised or lost.
You have inspired me. I think I will get a copy of "Red Fern," and read it to Farcles.
Mitt? I am kind of glad he isn't going to be subjected to the Billary slime machine.
if you get farcles to cry at 'where the red fern grows' after making a manly craft with him at home depot he may curse the day i married his sister...
paul i think ure pretty crappy to
p.s this is lafe
thank you lafe. i'll take that as a compliment. i'm glad to stopped by to comment...
Post a Comment