Sunday, February 17, 2008

answers to (a)nal questions...

while many of you gave admirable answers here to this question:

358. Which of the following is the most common cause of lower gastrointestinal bleeding in school-aged children?

A. Anal fissures
B. Color of the vomitus
C. History of constipation
D. Presence of high fever
E. Resting tachycardia

all answers were wrong and here is why:

lower gastrointestinal bleeding is uncommon in children and is estimated to account for less than 0.5% of all pediatric emergency department visits. the likelihood of the etiology is age dependent. anal fissures are most common in infants younger than 1 year. it is thought that anal fissures are associated with constipation and the passage of hard stool. these infants typically have blood-streaked stool and pain with bowel movements. infectious diarrhea is the most common cause of lower gastrointestinal bleeding in school aged children. bacterial infections typically infect the bowel wall of the colon and cause local inflammatory effects. because of the vascularity of the bowel lumen wall, bleeding typically accompanies. treatment for bloody diarrhea primarily involves treating any dehydration if present. anti-nausea and anti-diarrheal medications are not indicated and can lead to complications such as excessive sleepiness and bowel hypo-activity/obstruction. antibiotics are seldom indicated in well appearing school-aged children even when a bacterial etiology has been identified. antibiotics prolong the carrier state in cases of salmonella gastroenteritis and increase the frequency of kidney problems in e. coli type infection. only one bacteria known to commonly cause diarrhea is susceptible to a shortened course from antibiotics.

this question was trickier than i realized at first glance.

this is one more reason why going to the doctor to get antibiotics can be frustrating.

thank you all for participating. i'm sad no one gets the prize this time around...we'll try again though. 10 more days of board review till the inservice exam...focus, focus.


and from a canal in st. petersburg, russia, here is amy's requested 'i know you didn't' look:


a look i've come to know and love :)

11 comments:

Amy F said...

Paul: I'm doing my "I know you just didn't..." look right now... and it does NOT look like that.

THAT was the "It is freezing and raining today in St. Petersburg but we are here to see St. Petersburg so by golly I will sit in this here canal boat and float through St. Petersburg even though it is freezing and raining" look.

It is not replicated often... don't worry, folks.

Oh, that was a fun day, though... !!

Paul, I think you have *slightly* forgotten the purpose of this blog.

Still curious about what you would've given away for a *prize*...

Dad (TMF) said...

I remember that look. It was the look of 'twins.'

Amy F said...

Dad F... you know too much.

Aaron Joseph said...

I was gonna give that answer, but I didn't want to show off.......

Amy & fam, thanks for the valentine. Chelsey and I really appreciated it, and Michael's message has found a perfect spot on my wall. When I read it aloud Saturday, the whole room was in stitches.

Christene said...

Congrats on the little girl, the birthdays and all! Good luck on the test as well. Hope you are all doing great!

Stephen said...

amy: what is the purpose of this blog?

Amy F said...

And I quote: "to update, dote and communicate with you..."

petey said...

i guess we're all losers...
thanks for reminding us paul.
(except you aaron joseph. good work)

paul said...

no one loses here in california...

petey said...

except for mitt... ;)

paul said...

that's true. mitt and barack lost here.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails