*****if coming for a fire update, please see the thread below!*****
we are resurrecting our music sharing experiment. those of you who haven't shared please do so! there are many of you from whom we are still excited to hear...
and don't forget that i've added every song i could find to the playlist on the sidebar to the right...enjoy!
and don't forget that i've added every song i could find to the playlist on the sidebar to the right...enjoy!
incidentally, did anyone see toby's masterful teaching on prepositional phrases..?

from general conference to giggling girls and gays it has been a big month here in california. we have officially had more visits to the bloggert this month than any in the past year...and i have really enjoyed interacting with you all and hearing your thoughts.
one recent addition around here is the jukebox. and the jukebox is the point of this most recent post.
music has played a very important role in my life. i love music. it does things to my mood and takes me to emotional spaces i can't reach on my own. there are innumerable instances of significance in my life where music has been the catalyst. and with the event of ipods i am able to take control of my musical life as never before (did that all sound a bit melodramatic? yeah).
what i would like to do is give you three situations. for each of these situations i want you to think of the song you would turn to. if you list your three songs in a comment, i will attempt to locate the song and place it on the jukebox. this will allow you to share songs that are currently enriching your life and that may benefit others.
a caveat...don't think too hard. find songs you have seriously listened to in the last day, week or month. we're not looking for a groundbreaking selection, but more of a snapshot into your current life and what is shaping it. still too heady..?
okay, here are the three situations:
1-you are starting to fix dinner. you are tired. you need a pick-up to help your motivation. what song do you turn to?
2-you have had a stressful encounter. you are feeling anxious. what song do you turn to for a return to serenity?
3-you are on a walk, in the tub, on a jog or a bike ride and you want to be introspective. what gets your meditative thoughts flowing?
and if you're really into this a fourth..:)
4-you are at the top of a powder run, biking a black diamond chute, taking your kick-boxing class to town or pretending to be rocky on your treadmill. what song has the beat and energy that fires you up?

62 comments:
oh, if you have a friend or family member you want to invite to this blog that i have left out, please email me their email address at pogi_frandsen at hotmail dot com.
don't make this hard. leave one at a time if you want if you only have a minute and come back later for more...
you can copy and paste this template to remind you of the three choices when you leave your comment:
1-a pick up:
2-for serenity:
3-introspection:
bonus-fired up:
(incidentally, the email above is not my primary address...don't use it if you want to get a hold of me in the future since i sign up for all the free promotions with it and don't check it that often...but i will check it often in the coming days to get anything you send me)
Has this month had the most comments because you always comment 3 in a row all by yourself? Just kidding.
It's late and I'm not thinking straight, but for number 2, lately in the car I've been listening to 89.1. Classical, opera, a talk by Orson Scott Card today. I NEVER thought that would be my station of choice. But sometimes after listening to noise all day long (not that kid noise is bad,) but sometimes it's nice to not listen to words for a little bit. Some days I even drive in silence. That doesn't contribute much to your wishes for particular songs, but that's how it's been for me that last week or so. Ask me again on another day and I'll probably have a different answer.
I often feel the same way, Jill. Lately, I've been loving cleaning the house to podcasts. It's usually late at night when Paul's on call and I haven't heard much adult conversation during the day. Helps me think a little deeper than the--change diapers, drive here and there, make food, kid talk, etc. etc. etc.--of the day. It is all good, but both is nice.
Anyway... here is my list. I couldn't limit myself to just one per category... sorry. Music is a big mood-setter/maintainer for me, too. I love having music going at our house, generally. But here are the specifics:
1-a pick up:
Suddenly I See—KT Tunstall... makes me happy.
Dreams—The Cranberries... a fav from high school.
2-for serenity: (these songs are must be full of emotion)
Apologize—Timbaland... not because I'm not accepting any apologies, but because I fell in love with it when I saw it here. (Danny should've won.)
Listen--Beyonce... loved ever since seeing such an emotional performance on the Oscars.
3-introspection:
Fields of Gold—Eva Cassidy... ever since Michelle Kwan's final individual ice skating performance at the 2002 Winter Olympics.(anyone else remember?? that was a sad/touching moment).
Somewhere Over the Rainbow-- Israel Kamakawiwoole... just makes me happy
bonus-fired up:
The Sweet Escape—Gwen Stephani... don't laugh. In my aerobics class, it is a song toward the middle of the class when I get especially into it. No, you can't come.
Feel Good Inc--Gorillaz... our ringtone.
I asked Michael the questions this morning… and he was actually quite thoughtful and picked out his own songs… without any prompting from me at all.
1-a pick up:
Real Gone—Sheryl Crow (“That first Cars one”)
2-for serenity:
I’ll Follow Him In Faith (“I’ll Follow Him In Faith the primary one”)
3-introspection:
The Corner Grocery Store—Raffi (“The one about the things at the grocery store”)
bonus-fired up:
Crazy—Gnarls Barkley (“The one where he thinks he’s crazy”)
Feel Good Inc--Gorillaz (“The no-stop-spitty-ditty one)
Route 66—Chuck Berry (“The Cars song that talks about Arizona”)
No Question Here!
1-a pick up:
Me and Bobby Magee--Janis Joplin
2-for serenity:
Me and Bobby Magee--Janis Joplin
3-introspection:
Me and Bobby Magee--Janis Joplin
bonus-fired up:
Fun Fun Fun--The Beach Boys
I hope this doesn't cheapen you blog. You have to consider that we only have a piano (not a grand), several guitars, a ukelele, and an old trombone (just like Labomba!) in our house.
thank you for our first set of suggestions. i have added the tracks according to who made their suggestions first. i will rotate them around in the coming days so no one gets left out.
jill: thank you for mentioning orson scott card. i tried desperately to find a streaming talk by him to add, but couldn't. i did add turandot in honor of your opera listening lately. is there a classical choice you would have me add. i figured you knew turandot since your mom mentioned it the other day. i discovered pavarotti's rendition on my mission and immediately fell in love. it always inspires as the song builds to the climax. and in honor of pavarotti's death we had to include it.
amy and michael's songs i am well acquainted with and hope you enjoy them.
dad r: i've heard lots about janis joplin over the years and have never given her a chance. well, you've now given me the chance...thank you.
and the beach boys greatest hits was the album we listened to when my dad bought the dodge intrepid...our first car to have a cd player in it...
jill: and my multiple comments have bloated our comment count without doubt:)
freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose.
Okay, you ready?
From Christene:
1 - Where the blacktop ends - Keith Urban
or Magalenha from the "Dance with Me" movie
2 - I don't want to miss a thing - Aerosmith
or Baby Mine by Alison Krauss
3 - I believe by Diamond Rio
or In my Daughters eyes by Martina McBride
4 - Kryptonite by 3 Doors Down
Jan's list:
1 - Dream Big by Ryan Shupe & the Rubberband
2 - Gravity by John Mayer
3 - I believe by Brooks & Dunn (different than my song)
4 - Hero of the day by Metallica, Loose yourself by Eminem, or Thunderstruck by AC/DC
Thanks! That was fun. Ask more.
jan & christene: i added most of your new music! who would have thought the first country would come from the southern californians.
the format changed a bit. i decided to add a song from each of you at the top of the list depending on when you sent in your entry. your other songs fit into the playlist lower down so everyone gets at least one song close to the top with enough exposure that people might try it out before getting tired...i play with the order of the rest of the playlist another time.
thanks for your suggestions!
i couldn't find an edited version of loose yourself...but i'll keep trying, i'm a fan :)
Looks like you need some musical theater... :)
1. Pick-up: Lauren Kennedy's 'I Will Follow"
2. For Serenity: 'If I Didn't Believe in You' from Jason Robert Brown's "The Last 5 Years"
3. Uh... I guess I don't introspect.
4. Fired Up: 'Footloose' the theme from "Footloose"
Turns out I do introspect...
'This Side' by NickleCreek
paul: i don't think my listening habits coincide with yours. but i will give you a list. i guess you probably don't want me criticizing any picks already posted? but I can say that i love Allan's pick.
1-the white stripes: conquest
2-Robert Plant & Allison Krauss-Rich Woman (yes-that is robert plant from led zeppelin)
3-keren ann: not going anywhere
4-madonna: like a virgin. yeah...that really gets me fired up.
thank you libby and stevie. i am at work and can't add your stuff till later tonight.
stevie: i'm not sure why we don't coincide, i'll be adding a white stripes of my own later. and is it, 'like a 40-year old virgin' that gets you fired up?
i enjoyed the janis joplin too. i felt liberated after only a minute.
i will have to dig for your songs libby and stevie. if i can't find the exact song i will add a different song from the same artist...
paul: i think our tastes in music coincide, but maybe not our reasons for listening (needing to get pumped up before making dinner, being introspective, etc.).
i think i got at least 3 out 4 songs for everyone that gave suggestions.
give them a try!
what are your favorites that you hadn't heard before.
i love the keren ann song...very soothing.
ryan shupe is always goodness.
i couldn't find 'rich woman', but i did include a different plant and krauss duet...does it do their partnership justice?
i'm talking a lot.
'conquest' is a favorite of mine from the new white stripes album. second probably to icky thump.
the plant/krauss duo does do it justice. everyone hear about the led zeppelin reunion concert? are you as excited as i am? did you know you can buy the entire led zeppelin collection on itunes? if you have not yet had your led zeppelin time in life, please make that time now.
paul and amy: how are the fires in sunny s.c.?
fires as described in the most recent thread. it's a strange feeling.
nice of you stevie to not make fun of us lay musical people.
when i joined the risenmay family, matt (amy's brother) and i were talking and i told him there was a lot of overlap in our musical tastes. in passing i mentioned that apart from a few of the older bands like led zeppelin our tastes were nearly identical.
he stopped me right there. he informed me the led zeppelin is the key. led zeppelin is the foundation and that we did not therefore overlap in our musical tastes.
despite that, i haven't delved in yet the plant and buddies. maybe now is the time to start.
did you get to the stones most recent concert stevie. i heard is was one of the highest grossing concert tours to date...
stevie: what are instances where listen to music. if you were to pick 2 or 3 moods or reasons for listening what would they be?
Daddy Allan... after listening to your Janice Joplin song, I can't BELIEVE you think Norah Jones (one of my fav's) has a "grating" voice! Humph.
And Christine... thank you for bringing up "baby mine"... a song I've heard once or twice and forgot to find on my own. Love it... if I made a nifty baby video, it would be to this song!
the experiment has been a success for at least one person. michael was listening to janis joplin and said, "i like this one. it's a crazy song and i like crazy songs."
my picks:
1-a pick up: body movin' (fat boy slim), the beastie boys.
sound of silence, simon and garfunkel.
down on the corner, creedence clearwater
bet on it, high school musical ii :)
2-for serenity: marching bands of manhatten, death cab for cutie.
those to come, the shins.
look what you've done, jet.
3-introspection: fix you, cold play.
pardon me, weezer
travelin' soldier, dixie chicks
bonus-fired up: blue orchid, the white stripes.
don't let go, weezer.
icky thump, white stripes
roots radical, rancid
Okay, we;ve been baing and cooking up a storm in our kitchen today getting ready for a couple of fall parties tonight and this afternoon...this was fun to talk about together....sorry, we couldn't limit ourselves to just one.
Here are Joe's answers....and we don't expect you to put them on....I chose the music for our blog for obvious reasons :)
1. pick me up - This Love by Marroon Five, Love and memories by OAR, When You Were Young by The Killers, Over It by Sarah McPhee
2.Serenity...Any Hymn
3. Introspective - Anything from the Braveheart or Gladiator soundtracks.
4. Lose Yourself by "Not one of your favorite artist" (Joe's words to me). Heart of a Champion by Nelly, Living on a Prayer and You Give Love a BAd Name by Bon Jovi
Amy's answers - I discovered I have alot of overlap
1.Pick me up -Anything by Keith Urban, Rascal Flats, Michael Buble, Josh Groban, Five for Fighting
2.Serenity - MoTab "Consider the Lilies" CD especially "This is the Christ" also anything from Dish Networks classical music station
3. Introspective - Jon Schmidt, Yanni - This one was hard, silence is usually what I have when I am introspective.
4. Poison by Groove Control - If I'm running on a treadmill this is the last song I listen to before I am done...this is the point where everyone in the gym turn their heads in fear that the machine might break... I turn it up to 10mph and look like I am running away from my demise in an anaerobic state. I think they are waiting for the floor to cave in or me to fall and break every bone in my body.
And I also like Training Montage from the Rocky 4 CD and Just the Girl by Click Five hmmmm I think I'll stop there...
This was fun to do...now I'm excited to see what everyone else wrote...will their be repeats?
I'm a talk radio junkie too! I never thought about the lack of adult conversation being the reason, but it figures.
Groove Coverage...sorry, the name just came to me.
joe and amy: thanks for the great song selections! i won't be able to add them to the playlist till monday since i am in the hospital over the weekend...i especially like that joe is a fan of the song by the artist who must not be named. i will have to work harder to find an edited version as there are now two requests for that song.
my favorite new song by far is the keren ann selection. the plant and krauss duet is also a lot of fun.
i feel like a hippie listening to janis and i like the feeling.
it's definitely good to have ryan shupe in the mix. way too many good memories dancing to his music on BYU campus. not mention by nyc hipster brother jamming with him in provo.
anyone else with new music they hadn't tried before that they enjoy. anyone cry when they listened to pavarotti sing?
I listen to music all the time, but it's never the same stuff, but I'll try to come up with a few favorites.
1- Apologize - Timberland (I know this is one of Amy's favorites)
2- Stay- Allison Krauss and the Union Station (I really like to listen to any of her stuff)
3- I have two for this one
You raise me up- Josh Groban (I always listened to this one in AZ when I would go on morning walks around the neighborhood. I always loved it when the sun would rise above the golf course. It always made me think.
Let Them Be Little -Billy Dean (I grew up with this artist and recently downloaded his greatest hits on Itunes. I really love his stuff)
4- I have so many for this one.....Here are a couple
What goes around- Justin Timberlake (clean version of course)
Hey Ya- Outkast
hey. i don't have any more music. but come visit my until-now-latent web-log.
Jenni... "Stay" almost made the cut for my songlist, too. Also "Forget About It"... love Allison Krauss, but don't love when Union Station joins in, unfortunately.
I'll be interested to hear some of these picks once Paul gets home tomorrow. He's got his work cut out for him, but I'm sure he'll manage...
anything mozart or beethoven
Okay, so I have to clarify the Poison song. Joe downloads all my songs for me, so I blame all corruption on him :). The Poison he put on is the Short Club Mix version by Groove Coverage, the really fast version. He played for me the Alice Cooper version (I have no clue who he is, but Joe says it's best I don't) it was really creepy. Groove Coverage does normal one that is fast, but still a little creepy, somehow the really fast club mix one doesn't seem so weird.
i found the club mix...it helps. it also helps to know the song originated with alice cooper (wasn't he a mormon..?)
anyway, i can see myself running away from my demise while listening to it...and if it helps with the workout, that's what matters:)
on a lighter note, i was happy to move superman up in the playlist since it's a favorite of mine. and i even added some country music for all the country fans...
very fun to listen to everyone's additions so far.
i added some beethoven for my father and all others who mentioned classical music...it is twelve minutes and i just want to remind you about the skip button if you want to move to the next song...or if you want to listen to it twice..:)
i've spent to much time on this, and for all i know none of you will listen to this playlist.
regardless...i placed the more 'family friendly' songs at the top fo the playlist. the 'harder' songs start with 'the killers 3/4 of the way down. then there are 'eclectic' and miscellaneous at the bottom of the list. so depending on your mood you can start at different spots.
an incidentally, i placed at least one song from everyone at the beginning of the playlist...meaning if 15 of you have given recommendations, then each of the first 15 recommendations are from a different person.
enjoy.
let us know if you find new music that is a keeper and why.
on the flipside...try not to make fun:)
and pachabel's canon is by pachabel (sp?) not mozart :)
Thanks for all of the hard work. I am listening to the songs right now. I had forgotten about Over the Rainbow - I usually enjoy any version of that song, but this one especially. My other favorite is by Eva Cassidy.
I am proud to be the first one to mention any country. Actually, I probably would have chosen mostly country, but thought your other listening audience would not appreciate that. I grew up on Country, which is what I love. My favorites are Chris LeDoux and George Strait. I am sad that Chris LeDoux has passed away - his concerts were absolutely the best!
My favorite "LDS" album - Primary
Colors by InsideOut.
christene: your sensitivity for our audience is appreciated.
we love the primary colors CD.
Perhaps a little late:
Pick up:
Over the Hills and Far Away, Led Zepplin
Serenity:
A Plain Morning, Dashboard Confessionals
Clarity, John Mayer
Soul Meets Body, Death Cab
Introspection:
Thank You, Led Zepplin
Fired Up:
Hands Down, Dashboard Confessionals
Read My Mind, Killers
District Sleeps Alone, Postal Service fits in somewhere, because I listen to it so much.
Franseypants has introduced me to so much good music that I can no longer claim Led Zepplin as the basis of all good music and also say that there is quite a bit of overlap between us.
nice song choices matt...i'll add them later.
i figured your original answer to my musical query was informing me that i couldn't be 'one of the guys' in your family that easily.
maybe your most recent answer means that hopefully i have arrived to some degree :)
i look forward to sampling your led zeppelin choices.
what do you think of the plant and krauss song?
I have to admit I got on here thinking I would see halloween pictures :) Hope you had a great night!
good picks matty. i think i got them all.
1-a pick up: "Soul Man" by the Blues Brothers and "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" by Aretha Franklin
2-for serenity: the entire "Peace Like a River" album by the MoTabs
3-introspection: a generic zen tape she has
4-fired up: ZZ Top: "Every Girl's Crazy "Bout a Sharp Dressed Man," and "Moni, Moni," by somebody
this is a momentous occasion. our blog has arrived with the advent of a comment from my mother-in-law. great to have you!
i'll add your songs later (we've maxed out the playlist at 60, but i can shuffle a few songs out).
Hey look everyone! My wonderful wife changed my avetar for me!! Isn't she great???
Love that gal!
1-pick up would be Space Cowboy-Steve Miller Band
2-for serenity a classic Let it be-beattles
3-introspection is Peices of you-Jewel
These are Siobhan's picks.
Nice to see Siobhan commenting... Paul is excited to add the new picks.
Don't worry... we'll post Halloween pictures. It's just taking a little bit...
Some of these songs are interesting versions that I haven't heard before. Are there multiple versions available with this player, or just one that you have to select. For my picks specifically, Over the Hills and Far Away, Clarity, and Hands Down are all different (and not particularly my favorite) versions. How do you get the playlist up on your site?
amy posed as me to add my new avatar that she chose for me (and that won't last for long if i have anything to do with it...)
anyway, that wasn't me who said, "Love the Gal!"
i don't think i have ever used that phrase and i don't ever plan to...
welcome to our blog siobhan!
i'm still working on adding siobhan and mom risenmay's picks...
matty: the 'project playlist' player is googleable under that title and will guide you to adding it. as far as the songs and version available...you are at the mercy of the songs already streaming legally on the world wide web that have been found my project playlist users. so that is why many songs cannot be found and those that are found are wierd versions. if i were more savy (and i tried for a few minutes to do it mysefl) i would just stream songs from my own collection somewhere and link to them...but i am not that savy.
if you want to add this specific playlist to your website you can go to this address:
http://www.projectplaylist.com/node/16257678
and then generate code to add it! (let me know if that doesn't work...)
i added the new songs and had to delete a few long-time songs...
THANK YOU so much for the new avatar. Paul, this has been a great experiment-lots of fun. Some great songs and memories, and I tried some others, but I have my limitations. I just got another AARP application in the mail yesterday.
Sorry, Paul. I know it sounds like a contradiction, but I believe Mozart composed his own version of Pacabel Canon. I didn't know this from my native vast knowlege of classical music. I have been reading about the "Mozart Effect" and epilepsy this week.
wow, i didn't know this about pachabel. i'll have to look into it... what have you found out about the mozart effect?
Mozart Effect - in particular: Piano Concerto No. 23 Adagio
Something about the meter and range and calming effect. It has also been suggested that listening to this piece of music can be helpful in childrens' learning process.
Einstein said that he felt this was Mozart's most mature composition.
Off the subject, but another cool Einstein quotation I came across recently:
There remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable. Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.
Post a Comment