
so this weekend we were graced with the presence of the isaac women. i was on call and only saw them in passing the first night they arrived. michael was sick with the stomach flu the next night and they saw amy only in passing on saturday night as she was tied up succoring our michael's first serious bout with unremitting vomiting...we were very happy to have visitors and thoroughly enjoyed their company limited as it was. amy was particularly excited to see melinda's belly.
for michael there were several highlights. he was interested in the names of melinda's family members, and while he didn't get to use their names in his limited contact with them, he could have if called upon.
there was a package from granpatty that michael loved...the arrival of the big river cd has brightened our weekend. despite little sleep, i came home today for dinner and settled into the warmth of this sweet broadway musical and felt a flood of emotions as nearly each song recalls a story in my life...trying out for the high school musical with 'river in the rain', singing 'maybe leavin' with elizabeth for the talent show, practicing 'arkansas' with matt taylor for his tryout, singing muddy water, river in the rain, world's apart with my little brother, jammin' with my siblings to 'waitin' for the light' with our clarion band, singing many of the songs at the olympics in front of an international audience, seeing the show at timpview high school with our family, and hearing mom complain about the RM smoking on stage during the production (a former student of grandpa evans was the director), listening to all the songs together on road trips.
another funny memory was made tonight as michael was in the other room with the stereo flipping through the songs. i was on the phone with stevie and amy was tied up with the girls. michael found the song, 'waitin for the light'. the introduction starts out with huck finn saying, "all right i'll go to hell...". michael heard this introduction and was fascinated by the introduction (huck puts a lot of emotion into the statement)...he played the intro over and over and over and over and over (10+ times) before amy was able to jump to his side and discuss the nature of the introduction and why it was probably not appropriate...great times.
so here is his encore singing along with the soundtrack that granpatty greatfully sent us...thanks for the thoughtful gift!

15 comments:
my hairline is receding just like stevie's! i've always wanted to be just like him.
Amy - Thanks for the comment about the pancakes...I'm glad you enjoyed them. Sorry about Michael, sick kids are not a happy thing!
Paul - I have been sitting here by myself laughing uncontrollably because of a funny memory your post reminded me of...it must be late because as I think of it, I wonder, is it really that funny? Anyway, speaking of 'Big River" I remember in 8th grade trying out for the drama club. You sang the "Huckleberry Me" song from Big River and I remember thinking, "Wow he is really prepared for this.." and then I got up and sang the "ABC's" Talk about preparedness. Somehow I made it...? Not to mention I was the lead in the fall play. Luckily there was no singing involved.
amyjo: what was the fall play that year? princess and the pea? that play was the worst because of those dang tights most the guys had to wear...
jonny: i think it's a great picture.
I can't remember the name of the play, but I remember I was the Mom......of course I was, being the tallest seemed to always land me those rolls in Jr. High.
I hope Michael is feeling better. The flu is always hard. Amy, are you sick of doing laundry yet. For me, it feels like all I do when the kids are sick is help them run to the toliet, hold back their hair and then start another load.
receding hairline????? i beg to differ.
amy, what exactly were you laughing about? not the big river tryout i assume?
jonny: how was your iowa interview?
jenni: i vaguely remember that play, but don't remember if i was in it...
Stevie... you mean your hairline has always been up there??
Thanks for being such gracious hosts! I'm just sorry our interactions were so fleeting and strewn with either spilled bubbles or throw up buckets. It was so nice to be around for the fleeting moments we were there. Thank you!
Mel and "the girls"... beware! It seems that Michael's sickness is viral. Two sweet sisters woke up and stayed up late with their mom and daddy tonight, throwing up intermittently. I was again reminded that I married a great man and daddy.
But the house smells like throw-up (or maybe it is just my shirt), and as Jenni warned, the washing machine will be going for hours yet.
I sure hope our visitors didn't take the bug to Utah.
stevie: embrace it brother.
iowa was awesome.
Sorry to hear that Amy. I hope you haven't vaccuumed yet. When our triplets turned one, the weekend of General Conference, they were all throwing up too. It was crazy. We'd clean up one mess then have to move on to the next. THANKFULLY Steven was home with me that weekend. Anyway, we vaccumed and it was a bad idea because for the next while, each time we used the vaccuum, it smelled like throwup. Ugh...
Get well soon Melinda!
Gross, Jill. Thanks for the warning. We were lucky enough to catch everything in towels... and I think I just put the last load of laundry in the dryer. The house did smell for a full day, though... ugh.
Everyone is feeling much better around here... it didn't last too long... just so you know, Mel. I'm glad to have the kiddos back to their cheerful selves.
last night michael informed us he was too big for the upstairs toilet...he told us he was too big because his bottom his the water while 'going stinky'.
mom inquired as to his use of the 'big seat' and he said, "ohhhhh." he is too big after all.
Oh, your Big River memories do bring back fun memories. I am sorry about that, Alright I'll go to..... Paul would always just yell beep or some other word so we couldn't hear it.
Michael, I can't wait to see you at Thanksgiving. Can I have a personal performance of all the cool songs you are learning?
That is such a cute picture of my Stevie. I do embrace your receding hairline as much as I embrace you as my sweet son.
Post a Comment