Wednesday, October 24, 2007

California Fires...

Many of you have been asking about the California fires and how close we are to them.

Here is a map to show you... you have to zoom it in yourself for Redlands to come up. We are to the east of LA, and slightly northeast of Riverside. We are to the south of the San Bernardino fires.




As you can see, we aren't immediately close to the San Bernardino Mountain fires that are affecting Lake Arrowhead and Running Springs. The base of the fire in the mountains is around Arrowhead Springs, which is about 15 miles from us. Once it got dark, I could see the flames from the little park across from our backyard.

Here are some of the minimal affects it has had on us:

It's smoggy and smelly. It just looks gray everywhere and smells like fire all day. Looking to the North of us... where we can usually see the San Bernardino mountains there is nothing but smoke. You can see some small particles in the air.

Air quality warnings. There are warnings about the air quality and doing outdoor activities. Michael's preschool stayed indoors today, where they usually spend about 1/2 the day outside. I've been keeping the windows closed and recirculating the air.

School closings. Our school district has canceled school tomorrow. Our missionaries are also staying indoors. The Highland missionaries have been moved temporarily.

The conditions in Southern California make fires a major concern at this time of the year. There is only 3% humidity in the air. Temperatures are in the 80s-90s. And worst of all, the Santa Anna winds (which are seasonal, started last weekend and will last for several weeks) are strong and unpredictable. On Sunday, the winds here were consistently about 30 mph with gusts of 40-50 mph. Most of these fires have separate causes like a spark from a telephone line, spark from a construction zone, and even a case of suspected arson.

The scary thing is that, in these conditions a fire could happen anywhere and spread fast.

So I'm not one to worry a ton about things I can't control. But I do think it is prudent to stay updated and take some precautions. I spent tonight doing a MUCH needed consolidation/organization of our files and records. I'm putting those "must take" things in a central place in our spare room. The gas tanks are full, and we have a standing reservation in Spanish Fork, if needed (and/or wanted!... it would be fun to visit...). And I might just keep up with my laundry this week. I think it's just good to think about these things.

But what I'm really thinking is that we have nothing to worry about when you consider how many people are devastated and/or displaced.


We are keeping posted on my Aunt Sarah and Uncle Eric Peterson in Fallbrook who have been evacuated from their home.


Jan and Christine's home is next to theirs... but they are living in Rexburg for the winter. Eric is the bishop of his ward, and he has been helping provide and protect his ward members. Some of the homes in their ward have been burned down, but Sarah says that miracles are being witnessed as well. They expect to be out of their home for at least another 2 days.

We are keeping posted on our good friends, the Rowleys (Emily and Caleb are Michaels bestest friends... and we're pretty fond of Missy and Brian, too... ;) ), who live in Lake Arrowhead where 400+ homes have been lost.

They left Monday morning, packing up a (very) few essentials... not thinking they needed to be too worried. They are staying with his parents, realizing that it is more serious than they imagined. It might be weeks before they can return. They are hoping for the best.

So keep us Southern Californians in your prayers. We love you all!

15 comments:

patty said...

You are in our prayers. We would be so happy for you to come to Utah. Lafe asked while we were looking at the map and discussing your predicament, "But what about Paul.?"

Amy F said...

Paul is fine, too!

I heard from Aunt Sarah this morning. She said it is amazing, but they only lost 3 homes in their ward (so far...). Of church members in that area, there have been 9 homes lost. They are doing well and staying with a friend's family in Merrietta (sp) which is between San Diego and their work in Riverside.

I'm so glad they are doing alright.

libby said...

What is the feeling like there? Are people going about their normal lives?

Jenni Coberly said...

I have been very mindful of all of you in southern California. My in laws are there, and my mother in laws dad lost his home in Lake Arrowhead. Luckily it was a second home, but still it is devastating. I do hope that the fires stay away from you and you are all in our prayers.

MBLI said...

Come up to Utah. I pray that the situation only gets better, but it would be nice to see you guys up here. You guys and all other relatives in Southern California are in my prayers.
Paul R.

Aaron Joseph said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aaron Joseph said...

Your news is a huge relief. I sure have worried about our family lately. Thanks for filling us in, Paul, and I am so glad to hear that you are staying prepared.

paul said...

thank you for your prayers everyone. we have felt very safe throughout the ordeal.

our thoughts are with sarah and eric as they have been evacuated. the news said last night that the fallbrook evacuation might end today.

amy and i were saying last night that with the amount of fires and the number of fires suspected to be arson, that it feels fishy...it has been bizarre to have all these fires all at once just with some wind, heat and low humidity...

Joe and Amy said...

Thanks for the update Amy. I came specifically for this purpose, so I'm glad you posted about it. Wow, it must hit home when there are people you know well affected by it all. The map is very helpful, I knew there were lots of fires, but didn't know there were so many. Good luck, you and your loved ones are in our prayers.

Jill T said...

Thanks for the update on your area. We've been following the fires closely too because Steven's brother's fam lives in San Diego. Half of their neighborhood has been evacuated and the kids have been home from school all week. They have all of their essentials packed up and ready to go if needed. Scary stuff.

Amy F said...

I didn't realize before that the google map I posted updates itself. Pretty cool. The green fire pictures mean that the fire has been "contained"... and it is so good to see more green than red. It seems like today has been a turn-around day for the area. You can feel the relief. Some areas are still being evacuated, but there are some also returning to their neighborhoods.

I haven't heard any news from the Petersons today, but they released information about areas that can be returned to, and it mentioned their road. Not sure if it was their particular section of the road... I hope so, though.

The Rowleys are still out of their home... so far, they still have one to go back to. In the meantime, they were able to re-join our primary for our Halloween activity today. As I gathered Michael from their car (he loves to jump in with them) I saw their computer server and scrapbooks in the back. Sobering. Little Caleb was dressed as a fire fighter... a true hero.

Michael's preschool was canceled for the rest of the week. The air is still quite smoky. Our friend's son who has asthma has been having a hard time because of the air. The sunset was striking tonight... a reddish-orange sun blazing in the sky.

Joe and Amy said...

We're back......Joe wanted to see a map tonight and I told him to check your blog.

Jill - Is that Mark and Terresa your talking about? Hope things turn out okay for them.

Amy F said...

Oh... another great thing about this map that Paul showed me is that you can click on the "fires" and it shows up-to-date info and stats so far.

Jill T said...

Amy-
Yes, it's the Mark and Terresa family. Did you know she's pregnant with baby girl #4?

Joe and Amy said...

Jill - Yea, she sent us an email a while ago, but I couldn't remember when she said she was due. I loved the way they told their family. They are such great people.

I want to answer the music questions, and I want Joe to do it to, so...in keeping with the spirit of our great governator... "we'll be back"!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails