what a beautiful night. it was like deja vu/timewarp night for amy and me as we drove out to russ and christie's saturday night. it was just yesterday that we stayed with them wondering if all our stuff we had stuffed into those pods would be intact, and whether we could weather those two weeks without a home. but we did--in large part due to the enveloping kindness of the frandsen family.all these memories came flooding back along with all the memories i have of the cousin closest to me in age. naomi has always been my unique and wonderful cousin to whom i never tire of talking. she always listens so intently to your thoughts and then returns them to you brimming with meaning and understanding. seeing her with david wasn't akin to my trip to d.c. when she and i sat outside an outdoor shopping mall near her apartment and just talked about random thoughts that floated by--a conversation that i loved. this is one of many good memories of naomi, but the memory of her so happy with david at her side is fulfilling in a whole new way.
one way in which this memory is different, is that i spent much of my time herding

but not to lead you to believe our offspring were dominating the night...the wedding party was resplendent and guests flocked to them throughout the night. it was fun to see friends and family come and feel of this family's warmth. here is a shot i caught of them between well-wishers...
so the cousin with whom i was able to spend the most time talking was one of the hipsters come to grace the west coast with his presence. the girl in the photo with him was a lot of fun and was a good sport as i dominated petey's time with boorish discussions of politics, doctrine and beckham...it was sure fun to talk with him again. he even let me scroll through an email on his iphone before we parted ways (all of us driving suv's in true west coast style...)
but with all the talk of dancing around here, the best dance of the week was seen in lovely la canada on saturday night amongst friends. here is a taste of 'orange colored sky 2.0' (2.0 referring to rachel and eva...:)

21 comments:
I think this is a first for me at being first on your blog. What sweet memories you captured of Naomi. I laughed out loud about your comment of herding (cats) children. Bekah hair looks so long. I miss you kidlins
that first picture is funny. Dave looks a little tipsy...on love? Or what's in the cup? And the girls look like they're thoroughly enjoying the festivities!
All observation leads me to believe that Dave is quite in love... and the cup had little to do with it. Must be Naomi's intoxicating presence. Isn't she beautiful??
Bekah's hair looks long?? Even if it were long, those girls still won't let me do anything with their hair without pulling it right out. Any tips, Jill??
Yes, the reception was a lot of fun... a lot of really nice people, and great company. We talked about needing to get together again... it is amazing how the short distance is still a barrier with busy, busy schedules!
We're glad we stayed to enjoy everyone.
Wow, I noticed the longer hair as well. It is really growing, Amy!!!
And now I have a face to put with the name of Petey. He looks full of personality and hipster...ness.
I think Bekah's hair is mostly shadow in that picture, actually. But I'd bet it is growing... a little!
And yes, Matt. If hypsterness is a word, Petey has it. It was really fun to see him.
Anyone coming out to CA anytime soon?? We're ready for some visitors... Jonny???????
And Dad F... we thought the BYU/UCLA game that you mentioned would be a great time for you to come...
amy, you know i'm coming. but it won't be for a while, you know. i guess you and paul want to come out to nyc, right? i want to be the first to give props to rachel for her amazing dancing.
paul.
is that really the best picture you got of us.
to my own defense, from the moment we showed up there was a sneeky looking pappsy lurking from all angles with his camera. i kinda suspected a picture of two would pop up on the web-log. but really... is that the best one? how about the one where both B&A are totally happy and not squirming at all to be held by their first-cousin-once-removed-that-they-have-never-met...?
Stevie... we'll come alright... just be sure not to move for the next 5 years... we'll come.
Petey... what, you don't like the picture?? Well, if you refuse to pose for one, you can't complain about what "candid" photos taken by Paul the Paparazzo....
...I didn't like the pictures he took of me, either.
I am, however, surprised you didn't have any strawberry juice on your shirt.
Going to San Diego to spend some time with the Petersons! We're excited to get the kiddos together... although we should have left an hour ago...
I'm the one who's waiting, though...
That sounds like us, I went to a cousin's wedding while I was in Utah last month, my Abby poked the cream out of quite a few cream puffs before I saw what she was doing.
I recognize those holds. Abby and Bekah must one too!
Amy, I have to ask...do you dress them alike/the same everyday?
I am such a hypocrite, look at how long this comment is...(smile)
petey: i like the picture i put up. there were others, but this was a great one. this one has you both smiling. i didn't take as many pictures as you may have thought because i didn't want to be lame to the two of you. a few at the beginning and that was it.
amy: it is too tempting to dress them the same. most outfits we have are similar in style but different in color. that allows them to look unique and for nursery leaders or ymca babsitters to tell them apart by their looks and by the color of their clothes. we will work on not buying the same outfits as they become more aware of what they are wearing.
stevie: life is always better when you are around...
petey: what is it you object to in the photo? you have such a cute pose and facial expression..:)
paul.
given the fact that i don't know how we all looked in the other photos, i'll take your editor's preference choices.
its too bad we didn 't get to go surfing.
hey did every one else know libandeej were crashing at our place in SoHo. i was kinda surprised, esp since stevey is nowhere to be found....
no, i didn't know that libby and the deej were going to new york. then again, it doesn't surprise me that i didn't know because i never hear from either of them.
petey: your trust is appreciated. it is too bad we didn't get to go surfing. we just got back from oceanside in san diego with amy's cousins and it was a blast. i bought extra fins for whomever comes out and want to boogey board with me. i almost bought a used 8 footer surf-board for $185, but cooler heads prevailed and we saved the money instead...
Wow... sounds like I have a cool head! What a great compliment, Paul!
Yes, our weekend was really fun with my cousin and his family... more details to follow!!
Libby and DJ are seriously missed in the bloggosphere... What brought the two of you to NYC??
Petey you must be back to being a true NYhipster... I could feel your presence leave sunny CA... too bad we didn't get more time with you.
Amy L... yes... it is so fun to dress them match-y, and occasionally they are matching. I'm indulging it all now so that, in the years to come when they are dressing themselves, I'll have it out of my system. But there are so many fun things about having twins! I love them!!
Paul, what a lovely account of the reception! This was actually the first description and photos I've seen, since my family has been too busy celebrating to fill me in.
We missed you at the Frandsen family reunion (I know you were up there in July, no guilt intended)---I was hoping to discuss Richard Dutcher and Orson Scott Card with you! Look for an email... soonish.
Rosalynde... we missed seeing you and your kids. Your presence was there, however, in the form of the skirts/blouses you picked out for all the sisters. You were also displayed in some of the temple pictures. Looked like such a nice day.
Michael made me look bad today in primary. It was ward conference today, and our stake president was really cute about coming to visit our primary and give a message to the children. His sacrament meeting talk had touched on family goals and habits, and he continued the theme by talking to the children about family home evening, and about how if it wasn't happening in their homes they could help their parents. He encouraged them to make sure they were good reminders to their parents about having FHE.
Michael raised his little hand, and when he was recognized proceeded to give a stuttered-out explanation that included something like this..."W-w-well one Monday it was time for f-f-family home evening, and I told it to m-m-my mom to do it then, but she just really w-w-wasn't ready." All of the adults seemed to think this was pretty funny, as they felt like I had been ratted out.
The truth is, Michael is a very good reminder. I'm glad he likes Monday nights. Sometimes, I'm not quite ready... but knowing he looks forward to it so much helps a lot.
Weekends are great.
Pete: More than a Book of Mormon's space between you and the shoe box lady.
Amy: Go FHE.
Paul: I'm so glad you married a cool head.
Thanks so much, Paul! And now I really *am* logged on to your blog, AND it's in my favorites. It's funny that you should reminisce about our conversations--I was just telling Dave the other day about driving up to Uncle Ron's birthday recital when we were in college and our rapid-fire conversation the whole way. I was still pretty nervous about talking to boys then (yes, even if they're related to me), and you put me at such ease. Thanks so much for coming to the reception--that really meant a lot. Hey, when you go to NYC, take a spin down to Virginia while you're at it!
Paul is fun to talk to, isn't he?? Naomi... how long do you think you'll be in Virginia??
naomi: we would love to spin to virginia...i don't see a trip anywhere east of the mississippi anytime soon :(
i should mention that our pictures don't capture the whole story as abraham, brigham and rachel? were all harmonizing away in the string quartet. christine (sp?) was the first to greet us as she finished putting the centerpieces together. christie was the next to greet us standing in front of a large vat of chicken salad that she had just whipped up. michael just loved the night. he wandered in and out of the crowd throughout the night. he particularly liked playing creative games with brigham and joseph.
gabrielle was of course at work prior to the event taking vanity fair-esque photos of naomi and dave. sort of an editorial shoot if you will...
lots of highlights--including the chocolate fountain that left a coating of pleasure over all edible items.
Post a Comment