Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Let the Temple Touch Their Hearts...

Some of my most treasured memories of the summer involve the LDS temples in Utah Valley. When we first moved, the Oquirrh Mountain Temple had been built, but was not yet dedicated. (Temples are dedicated for official work and worship by temple-worthy members of the LDS church. Before temples are dedicated, it is open to the general public to walk through and see during an open house.) This meant we could take the kiddos to walk through and see a temple. It was really meaningful, because they hear about how sacred and special temples are to us, but never really get to see why.


They absolutely loved it. The girls were captivated by the sparkly chandeliers and thrilled with the bride's room for girls preparing for their sealing (wedding) ordinance. Abby counted every stair she climbed, and Bekah declared "I will come here to get ready to get married." Michael intuitively felt the reverent nature of the temple, asked many mature questions, and loved the feeling of the celestial room--which represents eternal life with Heavenly Father. He said later that "I want our family to be together forever, just like in the celestial room."

(this picture was taken in the visitor's center after the tour of the temple)


It was so good to have my family there together. It strengthened even more my desire to have us all gather in the temple's celestial room and in the eternities. It is worth all my effort and energy as a mother.

The Oquirrh Mountain Temple in situated on the southwest side of Salt Lake County. The site of the temple overlooks Utah Valley, and from the eastern side you can readily spot the Draper, Jodan River, and Salt Lake Temples. My first thought was... 4 temples within eyesight of each other is crazy!! Then I thought... I need to take the kids to see them all.


Several weeks later, we spent a Sunday afternoon on a "Tour of Temples." We were going to family dinner in Spanish Fork that evening, and I figured that if we started at the Salt Lake City Temple, we could drive south and hit the Jordan River, Oquirrh Mountain, Draper, Mount Timponogos, and Provo temples. That would be 6 temples in the course of a couple of hours. Unbelievable.

Unfortunately, our "Tour of Temples" had to be cut down in the interest of time... but we still got to three:

The Draper Temple

The Mount Timponogos Temple



The Provo Temple

When I attended the temple dedication for the Oquirrh Mountain Temple, I was so touched with how much the prophet and other speakers talked about bringing your children to the temples and allowing them to feel the special spirit that is there. They encouraged us to talk about the temples, let them know when we attend the temple and how we felt there, and express testimony about the truth of eternal marriage and families.

My mind and heart affectionately recall a phrase said by our prophet, Thomas S. Monson. He said that as we take our children to the temple and let them touch their walls, we also let the temple touch their hearts. What a special opportunity I have as a mother, surrounded in this Valley with such beautiful temples, to allow the hearts of my children to be touched by such an eternally important goal.

I love the temples of the Lord. I love how serving in the temple allows me to put life into perspective... remembering the things that are eternally important allows me to put the less-important parts of life where they belong. I love my family more, I want to love others more, and I love myself more. The unnecessary fades into the background and I can focus on what is truly meaningful.

I am grateful that my parents' love for the temple was so apparent. It is a legacy to pass on to their grandchildren. I hope to have many more temple-touching trips and visits so that the temples will be intertwined with fond family memories.

4 comments:

Mikey said...

That was a great post Amy. I always say how hard it is to get to the temple because we can't find a babysitter, but who says we can't just make a trip to the temple with Lillie just to visit. We now have a new family activity. Thanks Amy.

Jill T said...

Yea, a new post, finally! :) Thanks for reminding us about the quote from President Monson and touching their hearts. And...I think we got some workable stuff tonight! :)

WalkConkies said...

Amen, Amy! I've been meaning to post some pictures of our temple visits this summer too. Way to be on the ball and thanks for the sweet post!

petey said...

i grew up in salt lake and it still blows my
mind that you see 6 in a couple of hours.

that looks like a pretty sweet family fun trip.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails