Wednesday, July 15, 2009

"Send"...

Ugh.

I am still amazed at the chaos I created last night with the click of a button.

I was up late at night gathering and preparing things to send to our agent for our refinance. Bank statements, W2s, Paul's job contract, social security numbers, etc. etc. etc. Basically every financially personal piece of information.

I attached all the scans and documents to an email to send to Paul's email, typed "paul" into the "To:" bar, and pressed "send."

Paul's email address is his last name .dot. first name. I was soon terrified to realize that the "helpful" auto-fill-in feature put in his first name .dot. last name... which happens to be a different working email address sent to some other person.


All that information has been sent to a complete stranger! Who most likely has my husbands same name!!

To save you the headache of googling, sending the gmail staff frantic emails, live chatting with computer techies after midnight, and waking tired family members in the middle of the night... I'll tell you now that it is impossible to retrieve/intercept an email once you have pushed "send."

(Unless you've had the foresight to pay for a program that delays the sending of your emails... or have enabled the "undo" feature in gmail which allows you 5 seconds from the time you press "send" to "undo" the sending of the email.)

So beware!

In my shame, I sent another email to the stranger asking him to please delete the other emails and let me know they had been deleted, so that I could sleep better at night.

No reply yet.

Maybe no one uses the email address?? ;)

Today was spent calling banks, closing accounts, opening new ones, rearranging finances, and telling myself that that person with my husbands same name is probably a good enough person and won't use all of our personal information fraudulantly. Or dishonestly. Or creepily. Or at all...?? Pleeeeease????

On Whitepages.com I looked up Paul's name to see how many others there are. 21. Should I call them all? "Hello... what is your email address?? Did you get all our financial information sent to your inbox last night?? Will you please delete the message and erase any evidence...??"

I think I might...??

But what are the chances... right? I'm telling myself they're really, really slim so that I can sleep at night.

Really, they are slim. And I probably don't even need to worry. But just the thought of it all makes me nervous.

But what are the chances??

Phew... glad I got all of this frustration out in the open.

I feel much better now.

And please tell me you've pressed "send" when you shouldn't have... this stuff has happened to other people, right??

9 comments:

Stephen said...

i've sent some text messages to a few people I shouldn't have....

in other news, Amy, have you bought your ticket to New York yet?

oh. and first.

libby said...

Wow. That really does sound awful. What a horrible feeling. The name "Paul Frandsen" sounds honest, so he's probably a good guy, right?

You're going to New York?? WHEN?!? Maybe I can come out and meet you! And, will you be coming to Pittsburgh at the same time?

Jenni Coberly said...

Amy...I'm SO sorry!! I have pushed send when I didn't mean to. I can't even imagine the stress that this has caused you. It would have done terrible things to me!! It will be okay...it will. I hope you are able to resolve things quickly in order to put your heart and mind at ease. Good luck.

Matt said...

Blastoids

Joe and Amy said...

How frustrating!

I haven't sent an email, but in a hurried moment I purchased what I thought was my Norton Anti-Virus renewal. My credit card was compromised and it really messed up my computer. I had to change my number, which wasn't a big deal, but we do all of our bills online and we pay some of the bills for Joe's facility with our card, so having to call all of the merchants and having to make sure I had authorization from him was a headache, all while making sure the timing was all right so that no bills were missed. No fun! Good luck, you'll get through it! Hoepfully speedily, but don't you hate these road bumps!

Allan said...

luckily you immediately realized the problem, and you probably changed everything before the other person even realized a mistake had been made and had a chance to misuse the information. Can you imagine what could have happened if you had realized the mistake next week, when unusual financial transactions started to show up?
Besides, every Paul Frandsen I know is a nice guy.

Saysha said...

Oh Amy..I am so stressed for you!! Although I've pressed send and gotten myself into some tangles before...it was never anything like this!! I am so sorry...I hope that it is someone's old email...or that they are honest like you are hoping! You are MUCH too amazing a person for anyone to take advantage of that situation...they BETTER realize that! Miss you, glad you made it to Utah, hope you're getting settled in!! We were there for a month for weddings, and we'll be back in Sept. for my mom's so maybe we'll swing by and say hi :o) Good luck with this all...I am so sorry again..I can only imagine! Sheesh.

Carolina said...

Amy, maybe I can give you a little relief. I have been on the receiving end of a great deal of personal information. With a name that appears to be the Spanish equivalent of Jennifer Smith, I should have known not to open a gmail account using my unaltered name. I end up with photos, university grades, financial info., etc., that should have gone to Carolinas from Uruguay, Chile, Mexico, and Spain (so far). Anyway, I used to try to find the person to whom it was supposed to go (by replying to the sender), and if I couldn't get the issue resolved, I deleted it. Now I just don't use that email address, except for google-related services. I don't even open emails that arrive there. Just assume that is exactly what Paul #34798 will do.

Aaron Joseph said...

Why not hire a bounty hunter for this "Paul"?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails