But I've been going through pictures to organize them a bit, and the California memories are reminding me of the things I miss.
So here is a little list of my favorite California things... the things I am missing most:
- The Rowleys. Places are just places without people. The Rowleys were a huge part of our California experience. They were instant friends when we first moved there... and we were lucky enough to have them move right across the street during the last year we were there. They were truly our California family and meant so much to us during those three years.
I miss our mommy preschool, movie nights, late-night safety checks (did you hear/see that??), proxy store runs, pool times, dinner-trades, emergency borrowing (of all kinds!), talks about kids and finances and politics and... everything, Disney days, and the few times we got out on a double date without the kiddos in tow! The Rowleys are irreplaceable, and we will never give up trying to talk them in to moving to Utah. (the house across the street is still for sale!!)
- Other people who watched over and cared about our little family. Like Roma, our "California Grandma", who never missed a birthday of ours, delighted in my children, and was the person we visited whenever we took a walk in the neighborhood.
Our neighbor, Karen, was our other California grandma, who showered the children with goodies and love and was always around to help. Emily, our favorite babysitter, who came to know the kids and their bedtime routine so well. - DISNEYLAND. Our annual passes to Disneyland were well-used and well-worth it. Many of Paul's days off were spent in this truly magical place where dreams of true relaxation and carefree time with the family came true for us. It was our escape from residency and cares at home. We are still passholders for the next year, and plan on taking a few trips to use them wisely.
- The neighborhood pool. It was so nice to fall out of our door and use the pool or jacuzzi. Oh, and the Rowleys were always there.

- Constant blue skies and warm winter days. The weather was mostly amazing (aside from a scorching July and August), and we were almost always able to fall outside for some playtime. When the Utah winter starts showing its ugly face, I will be scrambling to buy up enough winter clothes to keep this family warm. I will have to actually wear socks again and find my kiddos some coats. Rats.
- Orange groves. Everyday, I drove down streets lined with orange groves. I will especially miss them in the spring, when the fragrance of the orange blossoms fills the air. Fantastic.
- The Beach(es). We lived an hour from the beach. And although we didn't go as much as we had imagined we would (and Paul's boogie boards weren't used as much as he had hoped), we had many wonderful beach days.
- Our Private Park. A friend told me about this park that was connected to physical therapy and rehabilitation center. It is fenced-in, wheelchair-friendly (aka stroller-friendly), has super-fun equipment and a grassy area, and... best of all... was almost always empty! We felt like it was our private park, and... since it was fenced in... were able to go here to let the kids go and just sit and relax a bit.

Too bad I found out about it AFTER Abby and Bekah went through their major run-off-in-opposite-directions-when-out-in-public phase. But better late than never. - Having family and friends visit... and stay for a while. We had so many fun visitors come to see us and do fun things while we lived in California.
I hope we'll still get a bit of this and that you'll all still come and visit, and perhaps still even stay for a while. We love having houseguests. :) - Life's lesson: Simplify. From the example of my friends and the other moms around me, I learned the value of focusing on what really matters and letting everything else just go. My time and my season right now it raising 4 young children and creating an enriching, positive, and spiritually rich environment for them. My husband had a busy schedule, and things were easier when I was able to keep things simple. As a consequence, I learned that I don't need to be super-scheduled, and my planner doesn't have to be bursting at the seams for me to feel fulfilled. When I slow down to really enjoy and tend to things that matter most, we are all much happier. Such a valuable lesson that I hopeI never forget.
I'll always have fond memories of our 3-year "vacation" in California. While Paul's schedule was often horrendous, it didn't seem so most of the time because we were so happy. As we were moving out, I teared up many times walking through the house where our children grew so much. Abby and Bekah were just 5 months when we moved there. Michael was barely 3.

My how we've grown and changed.

So while we've moved away from California, I know we'll be seeing you real soon. Why? Because we like you!

6 comments:
Fun memories Amy, I'm so glad you guys made the most of your time there! Inspiring to hear about how you've simplified...sounds like I need to take a few lessons from you. (As usual.) One thing though...'scorching' July and August...hmmm :o) Oh, and I need to talk to you about the real life of the wife/mommy during residency and the horrendous schedule that Paul had...I'm getting nervous! And I don't even have as many kiddos as you. Yikes.
first family member to post. tada.
i remember ikea runs in california and installing lights and bookcases in the old house. so much fun...
i also love the new name and picture....
Oh Amy, it's so good to peek in at your life once in a while. We love you guys. Congrats on finishing residency!!! If only we could say we see the finish line....does almost halfway count?
You have a beautiful family. I especially love the picture and the title of your blog... excellent! I admire you so much. I check in from time to time and always come away feeling uplifted.
We will be in Utah for a couple of weeks, and would love to see you. I will email you.
love your new family picture. glad to hear you are l o v i n g utah. congrats on being finished. i can't wait for that day....
what fun memories of california!!
thanks for the reminder to simplify...
hope all is well.
love,
heather.
Saysha... we'll have the residency talk sometime. You will be wonderful. You are so good at making your own fun and being positive about life. You'll be great.
Stephen... I was kinda sad to leave the lighting we put in with you. You were a very, very good brother-in-law to me that week.
Jenny... halfway definitely counts! Surgery is brutal, and you guys are doing it gracefully. We want to see you... we'll talk.
Post a Comment