Newscasters keep saying that everyone will remember where they were when it was announced that Barak Obama
So just for posterity... this is how it went down for us...

Paul was working, and watched it in the halls between seeing patients. You know. We texted back and forth about it during the night.
I decided that it would be "educational" television-watching experience for my children, and had it on before and after dinner.
Michael really got into it. He's been declaring his own decisions over the matter during the past month. At first, he sided with his "Mormon for Obama
And I was not disappointed. Those of you who know Michael can imagine... I mean--it was a RACE!! It had numbers. It had states and maps. It had teams. He tracked the progress along with the commentators, cheering and hollering all along the way. However, his alliegence was unclear in the beginning. That day he announced: "I'm voting for both of them. That way I'll be able to vote for the winner." We told him you can only vote for one person, one time. He decided that he'd hold out on his actual vote until that night.
But he kept busy tracking the states and votes. He even staged his own soccer competition, where one side of the room was McCain, and the other was Obama
After settling Ella and putting Abby and Bekah to bed, I decided to keep Michael up with me. Once it appeared to be a landslide victory, he provided most of my entertainment. I did mention earlier that I would be attacking Mt. Washmore during the election night coverage... and I did.
So when Mr. Obama was announced as the clear winner of the presidential election, I was folding laundry laughing with Michael as we watched the crowds in Grant Park in Chicago go wild.
I then settled Michael to bed, and came back to continue folding.
Now, as I said... I'm not going to say who I voted for. But I will say that I wasn't entirely pleased with either choice. What does our nation really need? And what would either candidate actually deliver if given the chance to be president. I guess these questions come up with each election. I remember having reservations about my vote in elections past. But I had serious issues this time... and was a serious flip-flopper to the very end.
But I will never forget hearing Barak Obama give his victory speech in Grant Park. It was an emotional experience for me. There in my living room, sitting in the midst of piles clean laundry, I also sat on the edge of a historically defining moment. And I felt it.

Not only did I feel the significance of our country's election of the first non-white president... I felt the significance of an infusion of hope.
I know, I know. That's been the strategy of his campaign and the theme of his expert orations. That's what it is all designed to do. But somewhere in the midst of the story of 106-year-old Ann Nixon Cooper and the proclamations of "yes we can" that reminded me of a Southern Baptist sermon, I started feeling real hope. Like real change is possible... not just in policy about economics and war and health care. But change in the human spirit of America--"Let us summon a new spirit of patriotism; of service and responsibility where each of us resolves to pitch in and work harder and look after not only ourselves, but each other." Perhaps I've been a little caught up in the divisions of our country with all the focus on prop 8 in California, but this truly spoke to me.
He declared that "this is your victory." Then, speaking with the collective "we," he shared his vision of what the nation must do together, "block by block, brick by brick, calloused hand by calloused hand." And somewhere in his speech, I really felt like a part of his vision. I felt inspired and hopeful.
"This is our moment. This is our time."
I don't know how he's done it. He turned a large majority of the country blue last night. He has had some of the most republican people I know (uh... my husband...) listening to, supporting, and even championing him. And last night, he made me think that he might even make a great president.
So instead of being skeptical, I'm going to be hopeful. He deserves my faith and prayers. And my prayer is that he will do all in his power to be sure that God may continue to bless America.

26 comments:
well said amy. we also hope for the best.
For the record, I folded laundry during the coverage too. And I thought McCain's consession speech and Obama's acceptance speech were both great to hear...maybe because I'm so glad this election nonsense is over, and maybe because I think a lot of heartfelt things were said. Either way, like I told Zach, now we just need to pray that our new President will make good choices for our country. Here's to no more political banter! :) For awhile anyway...
you made me cry, amy.
jill, oh we will still have political banter.
As a proud American it is my duty to support and pray for the leader of our country. That I will do.
Great post. I admit, I also felt moved with the election results. I hope minorities (the black community in particular) will now feel less alienated as citizens in our country and I think it's great that so many people felt like they were important - a real part of the process and election this time around. I also love that so many hypocritical countries around the world (many who would not allow a minority to assume the top office in their own governments) can no longer call us racists and so forth. I do hope that Obama leads in the right direction.
Also, if I understand this story correctly, I have heard claims that the Porposition 8 vote was a virtual deadlock when examined for demographics of age, gender, and race, except for among black voters in California. As a group they voted somewhere between 70 and 80 percent in favor of Proposition 8. Without Obama's get out the vote effort among minority communities, the proposition would have likely failed.
amy: you made me tear up as well.
the win was bittersweet for me (hearing pundits trip over themselves to laud the democratic party...my vote was for obama--not his party...)
his speech was powerful for me as well.
here's to a moderate president obama who does what's right--not just what his party wants him to do!
Chris: Young voters were predominantly against 8 and African Americans were predominantly for prop 8. The rest of the categories were deadlocks.
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/ballot.measures/
That's right. My friend at work told me about the CNN report this morning. Thanks Johnny.
I feel the same Amy, I just watched TCU choke away the game to the yewts, so now I will be praying and fasting that BYU's D will have angels among them on Nov 22nd.
Darin
darin: i watched the same game. it would have been fun to see the yewts choke, but this ends up better for us if we can win out.
Go BYU and Obama.
Paul,
I agree, I just don't have confidence in our D to stop the Utah offense. That's all we need is to hear Ryan talking more than usual at Thanksgiving and all next year. Please no! I hope we can pull a miracle.
Paul,
When has Obama done anything but what his party wanted? His voting record is liberal as can be and he turned the country blue! What has he "done" that is "right" with his representative power that didnt' align with the democratic agenda?
Please forgive my sense of foreboding. I will be praying for him to lead in the right direction, which will be a change from his record. He has said a lot of great things, but what will he do?
So I have a lot of friends that call themselves BYU "fans" that are now saying they hope for the sake of the MWC that Utah wins out and sticks it to the BCS again. Am I wrong for strongly pronouncing that they are certainly NOT BYU FANS? I understand the hate for the BCS system, but how can you be a true BYU fan and place hatred for the BCS system above the rivalry that is BYU vs. Utah? What BYU fan could ever be content or see a silver lining as they watch BYU fall to the Utes? Am I wrong about this??? People tell me I am being irrational and not looking at the "long term", but I just can't make that compromise....
matty! nice to hear from you.
i'm just excited to have an intelligent articulate man that approaches issues beyond a superficial understanding of the issue.
he has a liberal record, but he comes from one of the more liberal districts in the country...you vote your constituency's will unless under extraordinary circumstances. his senate record means less to me than what he chooses to do as a man who only won 52% of the popular vote.
byu fans can choose what they will when utah plays other teams (i have trouble ever rooting for them--even against TCU when i knew their win benefitted us most.) rooting for utah during the BYU game is unforgiveable. wo unto that fan.
Matt...
I hope you shook the dust off your feet when you left his presence.
And don't be too foreboding. Be optimistic. I believe he deserves our best expectations and hopes until he proves us otherwise. The benefit of the doubt, and all that.
But, as Stephen pointed out... the political banter will live on. and on and on and on. But perhaps it won't dominate conversations at family parties this Thanksgiving/Christmastime?? (here's to hoping.)
Obama's acceptance speech was not the Gettysburg Address, or the amazing "I have a Dream" by Martin Luther King, but I was moved by the tears of so many who didn't think they would see this amazing election in their lifetime. I am not that old-am I? But in my lifetime I have seen a change of maturity: From Jim Crow "separate, but equal" laws to an African American in the White House. Also, the fact that he wasn't voted in as a token African American, but because he is a well-educated, thoughtful, articulate man who will not be a paranoid cowboy who reacts every time a threat to our national pride is anticipated.
Paul: I've been told by one of Romney's business partners (Elder Gay of the 70) that Mitt is already gearing up for another run at the presidency in 2012.
Matt: I'm one of those BYU fans routing for the Utes to win out. I guess it's partly due to the fact that I have no faith BYU will win that game with the current state of the Cougar defense. Go ahead and hate me, but please don't shake the dust off of your shoes for me.
Chris. You are a sell-out.
I'd disown you if I could.
All my love, Amy
Ouch! That cut me deep. Disown? Not even a chance with "let's see if we can rehabilitate the wayward one", instead it's straight to kicking me out of the family. I'm going to have to do a lot of soul searching tonight.
All my love, Chris
I have full faith that your rehabilitation is possible. There is still room at the table for you. Let us know how it goes, cousin.
nice amy. nice.
and darin: ryan's yapping would be intolerable...
Our house that night was not a happy one. His speech didn't do that much for me. It was the hope and tears in the eyes of the population that voted for him that gave me hope as well. I sure hope he doesn't let them all down. After all, we can only hope and pray for the best. And pray he does half of the great things he's promised to do. I really hope he will reach across party lines and do what is best for America and not be a Polesi puppet. (Did I say hope enough?)
And all the best to Prop 8.
I've heard many people say that there are promises to resurface the prop 8 issue in the next election... 2 years away.
By then, we'll have to watch from afar...
prop 8 is not going away right now as multiple law organizations are getting in the act saying that the constitutional amendment is not valid because it is a 'sweeping change' in the constitution and would therefore required a 2/3's majority in the california legislature in addition to the popular vote. i predict prop 8 falls before we get to the next election cycle...
Can you believe they are protesting at our temples? Quick. Get out of CA. That place is crazy.
Post a Comment