His parents, Jonny and Melinda, have been amazing as they've thrown themselves into being proactive for his medical options--including lots of personal research, testing, fittings for hearing aids, and arrangements for cochlear implants.
I have been amazed with the process and the way they are thriving in their situation. As I watch with love and admiration, I want to do all I can to help and be a part of a positive experience for them and their little family.
Luckily, Mel has provided a very positive way for us to be a part of it all. On her blog, she keeps us updated with *pictures* and *signs* that she is using with Aaron. This helps us all to learn with him and will help us to communicate with his consistently. Thank you, thank you Melinda for thinking of involving us!!
We've loved learning the signs around here. Michael, especially, loves them and asks all the time if Mel has posted any new "Aaron signs." He is excited for the next time he sees Aaron and can tell him some of his favorite things. He just adores Aaron. Really... he talks about him all the time.

This was after the "food" post:
And here is Michael with a special message for little Aaron:
It has been inspiring to see how Jonny and Mel have responded to this challenge as an opportunity. Thank you for blessing us with such an amazing example of faith, determination, and optimism. Thanks for having a cousin for our kiddos. And thanks for having such a dang cute kid!

8 comments:
We've enjoyed using the "Signing Times" DVDs with out kids. They are pretty interactive and our daughter was able to sign quite a few words before she spoke. The lady that makes them has a daughter that's deaf and wrote songs to teach her nieces and nephews how to sign to their cousin. Might be something worth looking into.
Paul's mom brought some of those when she came this summer... the kids love them. It is amazing how much stuck from just watching them a couple of times.
OH! You guys are awesome! As soon as Aaron wakes up from his morning nap he is going to love these videos. He sure loves his cousins too. We look at your pictures and say your names a lot. He is sure going to love having you out here in a few weeks (right!!?). I bought a zoo pass and we would love to have you all come along.
Thanks so much for being involved in Aaron's development. I'm sorry I haven't posted new signs recently with the move and everything, but we have a few good posts in prep stages. Thanks for the post Amy. We love you!
My sister in law (who is also profoundly deaf) introduced us to "Signing Time" a few years ago. We love them! All of us! We have the first 13, but hey keep producing more! We can't keep up! It's been a fun thing for the kids to learn, but it's also helped us a a lot! We now have a little base so when we're searching for that word that they can't seem to lip read, it's nice to not have to finger spell everything (which I've never been great at anyway). Johnny and Melinda are doing such a great job! I peek on their blog from time to time and it's been neat to see their perspective on it all.
Amy, what a sweet video. Aaron is such a darling little baby, we just love to have him here. Jonny and Mel are such wonderful parents too. I'm the luckiest grandma in the whole world.
aw....so cute.
Our family has LOVED the "signing time" videos as well. Even though Garrett isn't deaf, they really pulled me through his first 3 years. He was so slow to speak, and would just cry and cry. It was WONDERFUL to have another way to communicate that he could deal with. You are lucky to have such a beautiful boy in your family.
I can't sign. But, I can make Aaron smile.
Post a Comment