Saturday, September 06, 2008

American Gladiators...

AYSO Soccer season is here again, and this season our family will be trekking to the soccer fields each Wednesday night for practice and Saturday morning for games. Today was our first game.

The team: The American Gladiators. They do a guttural roar that's supposed to scare the other team. Their colors: NEON yellow and royal blue. Here is Michael trying on his uniform and gladiator face the night before today's big game.


And here are some words of anticipation:



Michael was excited... I was terrified. You see, Paul worked today and the game was at 8am. What's that?? Get all the kiddos and myself up and fed and ready and in the car and on the field by 7:30... AM??

Well, we weren't really there at 7:30... but we did make it before the game started. And the girls wore their clothes to bed. And I got McDonald's on the way. And miraculously, Abby and Bekah stayed on the blanket with the diversions I brought... and Ella was awake but graciously calm. Whew.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Michael loved playing his first game. Here are a few pictures to put you in the moment.

The team huddle. Coach Uribes is so good with these kids--thoughtful about the whole "experience" for the kids and their families. He's teaching them great concepts and is so positive with them.


It was so fun to watch these kids get the hang of being in a game. Here is a short video... Michael kicks it in.



Michael did a great job running for most of the game. This is how Michael walked on the field when he wasn't running--on the heels of his nifty cleats.


Michael loves playing defense... or, as Coach Uribes calls it... "Monster Trucks." He would prefer to play goalie if this league had goal keepers. He guards it anyway, as you can see in this picture (didn't get a closer shot b/c I didn't dare leave the girls...).


So I don't feel the need to publish the score of the game, but I'm hopeful that the American Gladiators will score next week :). Win or loose, I think these boys just love playing the game. Here is Michael with teammates Kai and Luke. They love the banner that we made.


The best part of games are the snacks at the end, right?? Especially when they're doughnuts!


The girls loved cheering for their Michael. They felt so big hanging out with the players after the game.


And Michael was named the "Player of the Game" by his coach! Go Michael... we are so proud of you! Coach tried to establish the tradition of giving a "team tackle" to the player of the game. The kids got the hang of it eventually...



This is what Michael has to say about his first game: "I was the player of the game. And we did good. And I was a good monster truck. I did good goal kicks. And we did cheers for us. Love, Michael."

I asked him afterwards what his favorite part of the game was. He told me "When we scored the goals." I didn't have the heart to tell him that... well... they didn't score any.

Maybe next week...

8 comments:

Christene said...

I'm glad Michael had a good first experience with soccer...and glad your family has so much more sport ability than ours. It makes for a much more interesting game. Poor Kaile just looked at the grass and ran around. Garrett would just trip over himself :) Gotta love 'em.

Amy F said...

Oh, Christine... I'm not sure about "ability." And as far as "interesting" goes... well, these games sure are interesting! I don't think Kaile and Garrett are that different from all the other kids on that field!

But this Blue Sharks team sure had some more experienced players... that's for sure! I'm sure most of them had played before. We just have one kid on our team who has played before.

But bygones...

Jill T said...

Yea for soccer. Win or lose, these little athletes are always entertaining! Way to go Michael!

Rob and Kelli said...

How cute!!! Michael is so grown up...he sounds like a soccer champ to me! Go Gladiators!

Dad (TMF) said...

A 'roar' off the old block.

patty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
patty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
patty said...

Wow, that is so cool that you were named player of the game. I am really proud of you, I am hoping I get to see one of your games.
Amy, that sign was amazing, much improved on the one we made for Paul for his first year in soccer. AYSL is such a great program, we really missed it when we moved to Utah. I can't believe you took everybody, you are certainly brave. Great idea to have the girls wear their clothes to bed. Oh the things we do in order to support our kids.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails