Sunday, August 23, 2009

New York City, Just the Mama...

As mentioned in my last post, I have a most wonderful husband... and I have lots of ways to prove it. One of which is a recent adventure of mine which took me to New York City... childless and expectation-less. After going through residency and a crazy summer, Paul had been encouraging me to take a "just you" trip somewhere. After going back and forth, worrying about responsibilities and inconveniences and finances, typing and re-typing dates into travelocity... I finally booked a flight!!

When I got sick and had a surgery, we questioned whether I would be able to make the trip. But I was recovering well enough to keep my flight plans and make the trip. I would probably just need to take it easy.

As Paul and the kiddos dropped me off at the airport, he gave me strict instructions to 1. don't overdo it and rest when I needed to, and 2. have fun!! With a big hug, he thanked me for going through residency and doing so much over the last three years, and told me that I deserved to relax and have fun. And I did!!! here are a few pictures from the "just the Mama" trip...

Meet my hosts: the Stevie and the Hannah... Paul's younger brother and little sister... the New York Hipsters. They were simply wonderful to me.

Times Square

Day 1: SHOPPING... thanks to a patient Stephen and happy-shopper Hannah, many a shop was visited on this first day of New Yorkness.

Me and Hannah waiting in the subway

Most successful: Urban Outfitters, and Beacon's Closet (second-hand shop). I tried on more jeans than I've ever worn in my life, and couldn 't bring myself to buy a pair of skinny jeans no matter how much pressure Hannah gave me! We had fabulous Sicilian-style pizza somewhere in the middle, and delicious rice pudding at the end.

Day 2: Rockaway Beach in the late morning/early afternoon. Nothing but a good book and good company made this such a relaxing few hours for me!

On the subway, it took over an hour to get there... but well-worth the ride!

Although I missed the kids here, I had forgotten how relaxing the beach can be without kids to chase/feed/keep lathered with sunscreen/protect from the waves/de-sand at the end. Oh, and there was no car to clean at the end! But the fierce sunburn on the backs of my legs witnessed the fact that I never get a chance to lay on my stomach and nap in the sun. Yikes!


After showering up at the apartment, it was a night on the town! Dinner was amazing Thai cuisine (Pad Thai... mmmmm).


Some time on Times Square...

Then a show... a favorite of mine...


And the most creamy cheesecake I've ever had to top off a wonderful day.

Day 3: Began with Brunch and Westville East... which was my most favorite eat-out meal this trip, hands down. Mmmmm. More SHOPPING (Most successful: H&M... now filling my closet), and food/party supplies shopping (see Day 4) filled the day...

Hannah at the fish shop...

That night, Hannah and I went to the new show: Next to Normal.

If you are going to NYC anytime soon, seriously consider seeing this. Being a social worker, I loved how this show dealt with so many social dynamics and family relationships in a truer-to-life-than-most-broadway-shows way. The music was fun and fantastic. The cast (only 6 in all) was spectacular. And the issues the show dealt with made it an emotionally cathartic experience for me. I'm so glad I went.

We finished off the night with frozen yogurt in SoHo. Mmmmmm.

Day 4: Sunday = church in a singles ward (whoa... wierd), a walk through a fabulous park (what was it again, Stephen??), and an over-the-top terrific DINNER PARTY given by Stevie as a good-bye party for Hannah (who was coming back to Utah the following week). Stephen, the master chef, planned a Madmen-inspired "Trip Around the World" gourmet menu.

So much time and effort went into the meal... it was fun to see what a caring brother will do for his little sister. Basically, it was amazing... and even though he tried to throw me out of the kitchen time after time, I had a great time helping how I could. Here they are with some of the guests:


I enjoyed getting to know their friends... what nice people. And oh, what great food...

Day 5: Last-minute shopping (um, more H&M... this time for the kiddos) and good times with Hannah. To get to the airport, I figured I'd save money and take the subway. Hannah was an increadible sport, exhausting herself by carrying my huge suitcase the whole time. After feeling a bit rushed, I was happy to arrive at the airport an hour early. I was ready and anxious to see my family!!!

I stood in line to check my suitcase, but was told at the desk that they had closed the bag-check 10 minutes earlier... that it would be impossible to get my bag on the plane... and that I had to re-book my flight... and the next flight wouldn't go out until the next morning. WHAT???

After going to 2 managers, trying to get my suitcase past security (and having security called on me!), arguing with another manager, and calling Paul, Stephen, and Hannah with tears in my eyes... I finally conceeded to re-book my flight for the next morning. By that time it was almost 9pm, so I got a taxi and headed back to the apartment.

On the way, I realized what this meant... One more night in NYC!!! So Hannah and I went to eat at Bread (a place we had tried to find earlier that day) and went to visit Stephen at the recording studio where he was doing his bass track for a recording his band is doing.

Why waste the night, right??

So, um... Day 6: I left early the next morning with plenty of time to make my plane... and came home refreshed, relaxed, and rejuvenated. When I pulled in the driveway, this is what I saw:


An adorable homemade "welcome home mom" sign with cute notes from the kiddos and Paul. I missed them all so much... being gone makes the heart grow fonder, and I am quite fond of my family.

Which leads me to the "Thank You" chapter of this post...

Thank you Mom F. for helping Paul take care of the kiddos while I was gone. I know you had a lot going on and it wasn't easy, and I felt so loved by your happy willingness. Thank you to the others who stepped in to fill in other gaps... Mel (and Jonny), Dad F., Lafe, and even Libby and DJ when you got into town. The kids are still talking about the fun times they had, and I am so grateful to you all.

Thank you to Stevie and Hanza for taking such good care of me. You helped me get everywhere I wanted to go, showed me places I didn't know I wanted to go, pampered me with amazing food, and didn't even let me carry my own bags. The mix of relaxation and fun was just right. Thank you for showing me what you love about your city... I love it even more now!!

Thank you, most of all, to Paul for encouraging me to go. I'm so glad you pushed me to do it. Thank you for making me feel like I deserved it. Thank you for all you did for the kiddos and for our home while I was away. Thank you for funding the trip, and shopping... hee, hee :). And thank you for being so happy with the good time I had. I missed you terribly while I was gone, and can't wait for a NYC trip WITH you!! There is so much more to do!!!

8 comments:

Jill T said...

Yea, the NYC post. Looks perfect! I didn't know about the extra night. Lucky you! And lucky to have 2 locals to show you a fun and unique time in the city!

Christine Segura said...

Amy, I am seriously so proud of you for doing that! You totally did deserve it and hat's off to Paul for having that vision. I know for me I need a trip with my sisters or friends or something once in a while. I think it makes you realize how much you do love and need your kids and husband. It looked like a blast! Good job!
Christine

We drove by your house and it's beautiful! We are for sure looking in that area.

Emily Frandsen said...

what a fun trip!!! peter and i miss nyc so much :( maybe one of these days we'll have to plan a cousins trip and all go back and visit together!

Jenni Coberly said...

Yeah for solo trips!! I'm SO glad that you got to go. It is always so sweet to come home to the family.

I LOVE H&M!! Their kids clothes are so cute...I left them all behind my last trip but know it won't happen a second time.

Glad you enjoyed yourself! You do deserve it. I'm also glad that you are feeling better.

Heather said...

all i can say is how awesome!!!!
you totally deserved it!! :)

buchanancasa said...

Yay for you! What a sweet hubby. NYC is such an exhilirating place. And man, do you deserve it after your surgery, the big move, the residency....you're a stud!

Dad (TMF) said...

Even the fish looked good.

mom/shauna said...

Made me homesick for NY. Love that city.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails