Michael turned six this year. Wow. Where is the time going?? The other day he said to me: "July was a really special month. I had a birthday, Grandpatty had a birthday, America had a birthday, and Utah had a birthday... in that order!" So many birthdays so celebrate in July... it is a special month.
But Michael's celebrations started way back in May. We realized that we would be moving before his birthday, and knew he would want to celebrate with his California friends. We gave him the option of having a party with a bunch of friends, or spending the whole day doing fun things with one friend.
It was a no-brainer for him... without hesitation, he requested to spend the day with "my best friend, Caleb. But I wonder if I could have Emily come too? Because she's like my best friend, too." Of course!
He put a lot of thought into the invitations, which he made himself. He individually colored each letter of the first part a different color. It took a lot of time on the computer... but he was very proud of the result:

So the day was planned for Michael, Caleb, and Emily for a May celebration. His teacher caught wind of the early birthday celebrating, and asked if we wanted it to be his "early birthday celebration" at school, too.
So we made ice cream cone cupcakes together to take to class.

He got the royal treatment at school:

Then it was home to be with his pals. He planned the day to perfection: IHOP for lunch. Swimming (with goggles). Cake and presents. Jump Zone (think huge room full of way cool bounce houses, air hocky, basketball, and FUN!). Pizza for dinner. PerFect.

I'm not posting pictures of the basketball cake. It was just too sad. But it held candles and was edible.
They had a riot. The Rowley kids have been a fun part of Michael's life for the past three years. I have been so grateful for these good friends for him. It has been a tender mercy for my mother heart to have such good friends for my son. I hope he always remembers them. I know I will.
Fast-forward to his REAL birthday... the one in July... post-move and mid-settling in.
Breakfast...

In bed...

Boy did he ever love this little luxury. It was fun for the girls to surprise him this way.
He came down to the kitchen to see his b-day goods:

And the cake... for the biggest BYU fan of this Frandsen generation (so far...):

Before the bday party, he got his first present... a full-size air hockey table. When we were looking for houses, he would always remind us to be sure they had room for an air hocky table in the basement. Well... it is good to know that Paul and I made good on our word.

The party guests warmed it up for us. We were happy to have Paul's parents and brother join us, Melinda and Aaron, The Tew triplets (our honorary Frandsen cousins), and Michael's new good friend, Kale, who is in his primary class and lives just down the road. Of course, his party-hearty sisters were there, too.

After some good sports playing in the basement with the air hockey table and basketball hoops, they made some creative signs to cheer each other on in the obstacle course they helped design and subsequently maneuvered with grace and skill. You see... Michael is currently obsessed with WIPEOUT, and obstacle courses are just the norm around this house lately.
Lunch was pizza and fruit pizza...

This year Michael put much thought into his birthday wish. I love these pictures documenting the thinking time...



My favorite part of the day was during lunch. All the kids were around the table and we were talking about Michael. Something started me telling the story about when Michael was born. It is something we usually do, but not as a part of the friend bday party. Kids love to hear these stories almost as much as other moms do! I left out all the fun delivery details that we moms usually go on and on about... but they loved asking questions and hearing about what an excited mom and dad we were. And about the hospital. And about his first cries. And I cried... just a little... as I recounted it for them.
I love thinking about that day, six years ago, that changed our lives completely. Michael has been a complete joy to me as a mother, and I love experiencing each new stage of the child/parent road with him. We were excited first-time parents, and he was such a good baby. He has continued to be such a good boy. As the time passes, he matures in his thinking and reasoning, opens up as a character and person, and becomes a deeper and more personal friend to me. It is bitter sweet to see him grow up like this... because I want to freeze time and enjoy now a little more... yet as time goes on, it keeps getting better.
So here's to a great six years... and a pinch to grow on. What does this year have in store for you, Michael Bichael?? I can't wait to find out!

7 comments:
WIPEOUT!!!!
Cool party Michael.
Looks like the perfect birthday for any 6 year old boy. I wouldn't mind enjoying my next birthday in the same manner. Breakfast in bed, a BYU cake, air hockey, friends and of course pizza!
You two are such great parents, and you have brought up such an impressive little nephew. As time goes by you miss all of the cute mannerisms that come and go in his younger years, but as he gets older you get to enjoy some very rewarding conversations with a young, bright mind. To many more FUN years Michael!
AJ... I will happily make you a BYU cake for your birthday. By that time in the season, hopefully they'll be pulling a better record than your beloved Ducks. ???
that last comment was from amy..:)
i could try to make you a Y cake too aj, but it probably wouldn't look as appetizing as amy's...
Regardless of any record, a BYU cake on your birthday coupled with breakfast in bed is a sweet birthday in my book.
i can't wait to see michael. less than a week!!!
Lucky kid...2 parties! Glad the kiddos could be a part of it. And the Y cake is perfect for him. I guess we need to indoctrinate our kids more. A while ago Zach's friend asked him if he liked Utah. (meaning the U of U) Zach looked at him and said, "I like all the states." We'll work on it.:)
Post a Comment