Sunday, April 12, 2009

THE House-Buying Trip to Utah...

This week I had my 3 x 10 birthday (my dad says it doesn't look so bad when you count by decades. Ha!). Thanks to so many who wrote such wonderful thoughts and recalled so many fun memories. It was touching.

For my birthday, Paul bought me a house!


He did, however, let me in on the surprise and I got to help pick it out... you know... And, per my request, we spent the day working away to make it more ready for our family to move in at the beginning of June.

This was Paul's major task: clearing the massive amount of tumbleweed that covered the "yard."


Whataman! He really took it for the team on this one, while I daintily dusted the construction dust and debris and did other cleaning to make the house move-in ready! Oh, and I dreamed up lots of schemes about where to put our minimal amount of furnishings.

But that's only part of what made this trip worthwhile. After Early Easter Dinner #1, the masses gathered for a rockin' dance party with Uncle Stevie and Aunt Hannah... courtesy of "Michael's Rockin' CD..."



(Stevie is teaching Michael how to play the 'air guitar' with style,
and Bekah and Abby are wearing their favorite dress-up clothes. Justsoyaknow.)



i

Other notables that made this "get things done" trip fun, too!:
  • time with the NYHipster
  • letting the kiddos play and play and play outside
  • 2 batches of "Hannah cookies"
  • a quiet lunch with Mel while Aaron was recovering from his surgery
  • faxing and calling and over-nighting and stressing about last-minute house-closing details
  • introducing Hannah to IKEA (can you belive the girl had never been??!?)
  • General Conference and the traditional mid-Sunday walk
  • Early Easter Dinners #2 and 3
  • birthday pie
  • a very violent children's theater production--Tales of the Arabian Nights (tell your kids what "beheading" means before going to this one... yikes!)
  • lots of snow (I'm going to have to beef up the winter clothes budget next year)
  • an early visit from the Easter Bunny
  • mid-potty-training-woes
  • Ella's scooting progress!
  • time with cousin Aaron
  • lots of calls about estimates for home improvement projects
  • and just fun times with family

Another highlight was taking Michael to General Conference. Michael loves Conference time. He knows them by name has his favorite (L. Tom Perry... he played football, you know...). We came across some tickets to go to the Saturday morning session.

I told Michael, and he just lit up. He talked about it the whole week before we were to go. In one of his prayers, he said something like, "I am grateful that Conference is coming up. And I am especially soooo grateful that I get to actually go to the Conference Center to see President Monson and the Apostles and that I just actually be there when they speak to us."


But wait! Aren't there rules about these things? Isn't there an age limit of 8?? Um... yes. But, you see, there was the circumstance of a certain mother who made a promise to a certain 5-year-old.


Props to Aunt Hannah for getting Michael through the security check without telling a lie. And Michael was so well behaved that I don't feel a bit guilty. It was a wonderful morning... thanks for coming with us Hannah and Mel.


And special thanks to Grandpatty and Grandpappy, Hannah, and Lafe for your logged hours of time with our kiddos to help us get everything done. You are the best!

Now we are home and I get to switch gears to packing. I don't know where THAT's going to fit into the schedule... but it will get done one way or another!

14 comments:

buchanancasa said...

Congrats! On your birthday and your house! I had no idea our birthdays were so close, mine is the 16th and I will also be celebrating having completed my third decade. :) And I had to laugh at your comment about the minimal furnishings; I know what you mean. We slept on an air mattress the first year we were married. Dorky, I know. Anyway, I'm totally curious where you are moving, so you will have to email me.

libby said...

Michael is looking so old! I can't believe it! What a cute picture of Bekah and Aunt Hannah. We're excited to see everyone this summer!

petey said...

when is the actual move in date?

your house looks rad. i bet it feels good to be almost closing in on another piece to the american dream pie.

Matt said...

Congrats!

Michael, you will have to take Brinlee to conference sometime so that she can see the Apostles and the Prophet.

I hope #30 was wonderful!

paul said...

let me be the first to mention stevie's sweet moves...

Amy F said...

Audry... Happy 30th to you!! Here's a trick: clean and work all day and you won't even notice it's happening! :)

Libbs... he looks old to me, too. Sad we missed your April trip by just a bit. :(

Peter... first few days in June. The goal is to be down and good to go to Melissa's wedding on the 5th.

Matt... it would be so fun to have these two go to conference together sometime.

When you are in UT sometime soon, perhaps we could take them to see the Tabernacle Choir broadcast Sunday morning. There is no age limit... so you don't even have a guilt complex afterward! :) That would be fun.

Amy F said...

Paul... you've got some sweet moves, yourself.

Heather said...

wow.... does that what a "real" house looks like when you start making the "big" bucks!!! :)
congrats & happy late birthday!

xo

Jill T said...

It's tough to choose who is the most entertaining in that video clip. But i think Stephen is at the top of my list!

We can't wait to see the house in person! Feel free to drop of the kiddos when you start moving in. you know we're not that far away!

Stephen said...

WEEZER!!!!!

Stephen said...

this clip doesn't even show my best moves...

Amy F said...

Stephen... that would be true.

... oh, so true...

J.ME said...

Way to go guys! Almost done with another chapter in the medical journey. The house....and soon to be yard looks wonderful. I'm glad you got to go to conference....with Michael! What a treat. Since you'll be in Utah this summer (and forever) we'll look you up when we visit our yearly summer vacation spot. Take care.

bensill said...

(this is Natalie!) COngrats on the house! Where is it at? We are in the process of buying a house in Oregon. We went and looked- but have to do all the closing and stuff long distance. Its a pain. Your house looks beautiful- I can't wait to see more pictures!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails