Saturday, March 21, 2009

A Little Man...

Michael is out of school this two weeks for Spring break. I have loved having him around. He is such a fun friend for me to have around, a great playmate with his sisters, and a loving presence in our home.

Being around him all day every day this week has really made me realize what a big kid he is becoming. Where is the time going? He has just a few of the endearing "little boy" traits (sleeping with his "swingy bingy" monkey, an occasional nose picking :), needing me to tie his shoes...) that I am hanging on. But he has become so independent and self-assured. It is an amazing process.


Earlier this week I had to keep getting on Michael about playing music on our iTunes on the computer. "The computer is not a toy" I kept telling him. Finally he told me that "I just like music so much, I just want to listen to so many of my favorite songs!"

So we sat down together to make him a CD. I was a little shocked when he told me exactly which playlists to go to and which songs he wanted. "On 'Amy's favorites,' I like number 6 and 14. On 'Workout' I like 23..." and on and on it went until we had about 25 of his favorites.

His choices startled me as well. He picked quite a few "Paul" songs... ifyaknowhatImean--Weezer, Killers, and even a Rancid (YIKES... luckily it was a mild one...). There was Cake, Gorillaz, and Avril Lavigne. The "boy songs" from High School Musical, of course, and a few classic Michael Jackson and Beach Boys.

He has been happily listening to his CD ever since. He is so proud of it. And I am enjoying it with him. As long as I can repress the "turn it down" tendencies that start creeping up!

Then this exchange happened today when he was going across the street to play with his best friends, the Rowleys:

Me: "Remember to be a good friend, Michael."

Michael: "Okay, mom. And remember to be a good mom to the girls."
(pause... turn back)
"And help them to do things that are good."
(walk forward a bit. stop. turn back)
"And I want you to tell me all about it when I get back."

Me: "Okay, Michael. I love you."

Michael: "I love you, too."
(run forward. stop at the sidewalk. look both ways over and over and over as he runs across the street. stop at the sidewalk. look back and smile and wave. run to the front door without looking back again)

And so it is happening. My little boy is turning into a little man day by day. And my girls are growing so fast. Time is flying by. It feels like I am still a newlywed. Still a new mom. When did we finish medical school? And are we really buying a house? And where are these gray hairs coming from?

And does this post make me sound old??

Oh, man. I think it does.

12 comments:

Jill T said...

Amy, I've been having a lot of "my kids are getting old" moments lately too. Which equals, "I'm getting old" too...SLOW DOWN!

Hannah Ruth Frandsen said...

I am glad that you are moving to Utah so we can see your kids grow up with you now:) well see them more!

paul said...

we're glad you're glad hannah. we're glad too.

libby said...

I can't believe how big he is either. It really does seem like he was just a little boy searching for easter eggs in your University Village apartment. I guess we're all getting old! I especially love that he told you to "tell him all about it" after he got back. So cute.

Stephen said...

michael!!!! am i seeing you people this weekend?

Matt said...

Michael,

It is good that you have some sweet jams.

Brinlee told me to turn of my Killers music the other day (I was soaking in my favorite, "Sweet Talk") and turn on some music that would "bring the Spirit into our home".

You need to come to Albuquerque and help Brinlee know that sweet jams are okay too.

Jenni Coberly said...

I think the same thing all the time. I can't believe that I have been married for almost 10 years. My oldest is baptized and my baby is three. How sad?? Two of my kids will be in school all day next year and then it's just me and my little guy. I'm looking forward to the alone time, but mourning having two gone ALL day.

Where have those gray hairs come from?? I'm sick of pulling them out!!

Hannah Ruth Frandsen said...

oh yes, michael, i hope you bring your cd with you to Utah so i can hear it! love ya!

paul said...

jenni, jill, amy and libby. you're not old...just emotionally mature :)

paul said...

matty: ouch.

laying back and letting the killers soak into every fiber of your being is...divine.

maybe michael can stage an intervention for brinley...

hannah. you'd like his CD. he has each song memorized by track #.

Dad (TMF) said...

How can a name like 'Killers' be divine. Go Brinley.

Dad (TMF) said...

Amy: Maybe you should have a password on your computer.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails