This foundation addresses one of my deepest concerns for our society and my family: Internet pornography.

When I was completing my master's of social work, research was beginning to surface about the addictive nature of pornography. The field was all-a-buzz about long-term effects, cycles, and interventions. The research and findings continue.
In our LDS married student stake at the University of Utah, the stake Relief Society presidency I was a part of had many meetings with our stake presidency about how to address the issue of the internet and pornography. It was one of their major concerns. They devoted ward conferences to the subject and focused many efforts toward education and prevention.
And as time goes on, I am aware of more and more wonderful people who struggle with this darkness that has invaded their lives.
Internet pornography is running rampant with little to no regulation into the homes and minds of children and adults everywhere. In a society where morality is falling at an alarming rate, we have yet to see the long-term effects of this "internet generation" and our its exposure to sexually saturated media. But from my viewpoint, it doesn't look good.
As a mother, I feel helpless when I think about how I will protect my family. Internet use is such a central part of navigating through life right now, and there is so much good that comes from such amazing technology. Yet there is so much that is harmful, dark, and addictive--and I don't have much confidence in filters. But movements like this are encouraging and make me more hopeful...
From their website comes this description of the foundation:
"The CP80 Foundation formulates and advances solutions, strategies, and initiatives meant to evolve the Internet and offer parents better choices for protecting their children from unwanted Internet pornography."
As explained by Paul's dad, they are working toward creating a 'channel' for internet pornography so that we can 'order' the internet 'channels' we want in our home. Internet pornography could be limited to one channel, which could be blocked from use. For example, instead of .com or .net, a .xxx
(You can imagine how the profit-driven pornography industry is going to react to this...)
In conjunction with other interested parties at BYU, they have succeeded in getting the international group that maintains the internet to open a charter application for them. It is called the CyberSafety Constituency Petition and Charter. This month and until April 5th is the public comment period for the charter. Please go to their website cp80.org so you can understand their proposal and voice your support by sending an email about something that matters.
The email address: cyber-safety-petition@icann.org
Here is the email I sent:
As a member of American society I treasure the liberty to make my own choices. There have been times when I have felt that liberty violated through exposure to unwanted materials on the internet.
As a mother of four young children I am anxious about the sexually saturated material that permeates the internet. While I want them to learn and experience through the wonderful resources available online, I am frightened about a resource that is so full of harmful and hazardous material.
In defense of my right to choose what enters my home, I fully support the Safety Charter (CyberSafety Constituency Petition and Charter).
Please help me protect myself and my children from unwanted material. Help us have a choice in what the internet brings into our home.
Thank you,
Amy Frandsen
... and thank YOU for reading my rant.

12 comments:
You know my thoughts on this subject. I have heard Ralph Yarrow,the developer of CP80, speak on this subject several times and have felt so inspired. I too hope people will climb on board, there are few things more important than keeping this filth out of our homes.
Amy: Wonderful research. I hope everyone who accesses your blog will respond with their own heartfelt response.
Amy: Wonderful research. I hope everyone who accesses your blog will respond with their own heartfelt response.
With 3 boys, this is a huge concern of mine, too. I'm hoping there will be better and better internet filters as the years go by.
We don't watch TV at our house. My boys will NEVER have a laptop with internet capability (not while they live at home), and their personal computers (which will be desktops) will all be in our living room.
They will not go to friends' houses unless I am sure that they will in no way or form get on the computer. If I can't be SURE of this, they will have to bring their friends here. I might make that a blanket rule anyway, we will see.
I have friends with teenage sons, and the biggest trouble sees to be the information that boys pass around amongst themselves about how to get around filters, etc.
We will also talk about this constantly so they understand not only how dangerous it is, but also how uncivilized, pathetic, and disgusting it is.
Hopefully by the time they leave home they will know enough to stay far away.
I WILL protect them from this stuff.
Nice find Tracy, and I'm glad you are sharing it with all of us Amy. I think the .xxx channel would be extremely valuable to our society. You constantly hear about men getting fired from jobs because of content at work. Kids are often suspended from school for inappropriate use of the internet. If you could somehow funnel most of this garbage onto one channel, a simple password protected option to view a .xxx site could save our society a lot of time, money, and embarrassment. Currently, the internet is a freeway with few laws and nobody to enforce them. It is about time that we take control of it.
aj: agreed. the .xxx channel has been blocked in legislation by the filter companies themselves that are making so much money with their convuluted products.
a simple password to block any .xxx channel would be pretty sweet. but you can see how lobbyist for industry would be against such a simple fix.
Great post. I'm actually Jill (Frandsen) Tew's SIL, and she linked to this post on her blog. I hope you don't mind my visiting.
Anyway, I thought you might be interested in a documentary put out by (I think) the same people who do cp80.org. At least on the back of the DVD it talks about the website and I think I remember something about it on the documentary.
Anyway, I posted about it here:
http://b2wright.blogspot.com/2007/11/mondays-must-try-traffic-control.html
PS-The documentary title is "Traffic Control"
Thanks Becki for the link.
I hope you are all emailing... something simple to do. Even if you just say something like "I support the CyberSafety Constituency Petition and Charter."
:)
Here is a link to a page showing emails sent.
Also, further info on the charter here.
Dad F... didn't see yours there?? Did it not go through?
Thanks for posting this. I hope we can bring some change. I sent along my support.
Post a Comment