Saturday, November 15, 2008

byu, air force and utah...

what a great game tonight...

since the tcu game, my good friend rob has been after me. it is fun for him as a utah fan to see byu fall off the bcs wagon and utah soldier on. it made me very nervous when byu was down at the half--since rob had guaranteed a byu loss to air force. needless to say, hall's connection to collie on a 45 yard touchdown pass to ice the game was extremely gratifying.

give credit to the cadets as they played with reckless abandon tonight and nearly took control of the game.

this leads us to several issues. issue one. a byu team this good should be given the opportunity to play top ranked teams from other conferences in a playoff. how is usc ranked 6th having lost to an unranked (bcs rankings) oregon state team who is looking to be the pac 10 champion? of course, it is fun to think back to the time when oregon's head coach mike bellotti repeated the idea that BYU would be a mediocre, middle-of-the-pack team in the pac 10 after being drubbed by the cougars in the las vegas bowl.

the pac 10 was the doormat to the mountain west conference this year.

i'm not taking away from the right of boise state and ball state to have a crack at a big bowl game.

each of these very good teams should have a fair chance in a playoff instead of the machinations that the larger conferences go through to keep other conferences out of the big money bowls--and therefore out of the national champsionship hunt. it is greed at its worst.

issue two. the byu utah game.

prediction time? i've gone on record with rob that byu will beat utah 34 to 31. rob has stated that utah will win 34 to 24. what say ye? i will send the person with the winning prediction a 'yes on 8' yard sign...

here's to more magic like hall to collie on 4th down...

and beck to harline on that same down...

57 comments:

Anonymous said...

59-0. BYU in a blowout.

Amy F said...

I think Paul will be posting that 2006 clip for the next decade. It hurt his heart when we had to turn in the DVR machine that had that game recorded...

And it does bring back sweet memories for me, too. Celebrating with family among a sea of red. Aaahhh.

I haven't been watching any Utah games... but I hope Whittingham has stopped wearing his playbook in his pants. Eew.

Jonny... no chance this game is a blowout. Both teams are so good this year... and we will be away. 20-24 is my prediction. BYU... dontchaknow.

Aaron Joseph said...

Air Force will beat TCU 24-20

Utah will squeak by BYU 38-33.

Great rivalries require wins from both teams, and unfortunately I think a win from the Utes is well overdue......

Utah will play in the fiesta bowl, and BYU will smoke Cal in the Las Vegas bowl.

Paul, please don't flatter the mountain west. The pac ten was a doormat to everyone else as well.

By the way Amy and Paul, I saw Todd's final game today, and thay barely lost to the #1 seed in state playoffs. Todd played the entire game as defensive tackle, and lined up against a HUGE 275 lb. offensive lineman that is being recruited by Div. I schools. Todd still managed eight tackles and a huge third down sack. If you get a chance you should talk to him about his game!

paul said...

aj: fair enough. your response was well measured... you had to know i was sending you a friendly jab with my allusion to oregon:)

i'm not having delusions of grandeur about our conference...but the pac 10's demise and the MWC's success is just one more chink in the defense of the BCS as they defend a broken, dishonest, unfair and demoralizing system...

Johnny and Angela Dayton said...

BYU 27 - Utah 24.
I'm all about one of those Prop 8 signs.

How about this scenario: a BYU win over Utah next week, and losses by TCU (to AFA), Boise St (to Nevada) and Ball St (to C. Michigan) next week. Too outlandish?

This would be ideal for making BYU the undisputed non-BCS pic, and would really irritate U or U fans.

petey said...

that clip almost brings tears to my eyes every time i see it.

remember how we thought everything in our world would get better if obama were elected. i still have hope.

Ivan said...

Paul, I don't understand. BYU could only get you so far in your life. The U has given you the chance to have that M.D. by your name, the Y couldn't get you there. I can't believe the anti-mormon old hippie professors didn't convert you. My parents are both Y alums, but my conversion happened when a couple of high school buds signed with the U.

I'm nervous about the game. BYU sure lacks some speed in the secondary, but I think Ludwig is a horrible offensive coordinator. Our D-ends are tough, but BYU has an O-line that should be starting for the Raiders. I think Hall is a bit overrated. He's got some amazing talent around him that makes him look better then he is.

28-21 Utah, I want a yes on prop. 8 sign as well.

Jenni Coberly said...

Check out my blog to see how I experienced the BYU, Air Force game. It was awesome. I'm so nervous for the game next week. I want BYU to win so badly. I don't think it will be a BYU blowout..hehe..but I would like to see BYU beat Utah 34-27. Go Cougs!! I hope I win the poll. I would love a Yes on 8 sign. :)

paul said...

great predictions all around. jonny's is my favorite so far.

michael tops you though...last night he wanted to write down his prediction after i showed him my 34-31 call. he said: byu 88 utah 0.

he's sitting by my side right now and wants type in a new prediction himself, he says:

BYU 38
UTAH 0

petey: the clip chokes me up as well.

amy: unforgettable hugging complete strangers in a spontaneous show of joy when we won at rice-eccles...

paul said...

i'm beginning to think this prop 8 sign is worth more than i thought. amy reminded me last night she was planning on keeping it for posterity and judging from the response from those who have posted so far...we've got a worthwhile contest going here...so have no fear, the yard sign is still up for grabs.

jonny dayton: i haven't given up hope on a bcs bid for byu either, but it's a long-shot.

petey: great link! i knew there were untapped reasons why i like the guy so much...

ivan: sorry to be a traitor to my alma-mater. i loved it at the U. but you know...in the world, but not of it..?

hi jenni :)

Anonymous said...

michael says again...

BYU 899
UTAH 0

Dad (TMF) said...

13-10. The winner: The school I attended.

Amy F said...

Peter... your link about Obama just raised him up several notches in my book. Whattaguy. Maybe he really does care about the little people.

Dad F... you can't be riding the fence like that. Pick a winner!

And about this prop 8 sign thing. I don't know how Paul got the idea to give it away. But he never consulted me. Humph. I feel like it might be our little piece of church/national history. I've grown a little attached to it sitting here beside the computer desk. Don't know how I feel about this give-away thing...

Stephen said...

i will win: byu LOSS (not because i want it that way, but because I want the yard sign) 34-21.

sorry cougar fans.

libby said...

ah yes, the rice-eccles, u fan section, BYU victory... never to be forgotten. DJ and I just recounted the story to some first year dental students tonight. Such a happy memory. My prediction: BYU 21, U of U 17. I don't want the prop 8 sign. DJ might. :)

petey said...

are we surprised stevey has said a disagreeable thing?

i vote:

pt+et = 88
everything else = 0

and please don't send me that yard sign. although you can bring it the LA temple with you earlier that morning if you want...

paul said...

stevie: troubling.

pt: you mean you won't be watching the game..?

libby: sorry, you've entered the contest and will be receiving the sign if you win..:)

paul said...

dad: if your choice of winner is not clarified prior to the kickoff i will have to disqualify you from sign acceptance...clever though!

Amy F said...

Aaaahhhh... Petey. I think that qualifies as engaged mushiness. How cute! We can't wait for this weekend.

petey said...

Paul.
I'm gonna try to get at least the first half in before I have to peace out for the reception.

Anonymous said...

BYU 16
Utah 20

What does it matter? They don't show that game out here anyways. Go Gators and Trojans!!!

paul said...

you're not helping your cause chris. you can purchase direct tv and watch the cougs play from anywhere in the country...and this saturday it will be in HD!

Anonymous said...

Actually, I can't get direct TV here, and none of my BYU friends can get it either. I know, crazy! As to helping my cause? If being welcomed back into the family means that I have to be unrealistic, then maybe I prefer my disowned status.

Stephen said...

ahh pt, always your passive aggressive tone. you will change your tune when i have the prop 8 sign hanging on my door.

paul said...

he who must not be named: speaking of realistic...we didn't disown you when you supported mccain/palin as a viable candidacy...but the holy war is a different issue altogether...

i'm definitely protesting if the prop 8 sign ends up going to you...

paul said...

stevie found a great op-ed piece from mitt romney in the ny times...

paul said...

the first black mark on an obama administration...

tom daschle is a tool...surprising though, how many of daschle's former staffers were a part of his campaign and are a part of his transition team now...

although i haven't read his book. maybe a trip to the library is in store...

paul said...

>900 comments on romney's op-ed piece...

petey said...

stevey:
around your neck? pulling you under water like a millstone?

Anonymous said...

chris, you can by the game online and watch it on your computer. it's not hard to hook up a computer to a tv. so, no excuses. :)

Anonymous said...

Where do I go to buy it?

paul said...

good question 'he who must not be named'.

jonny?

Anonymous said...

Sorry... I guess you can't buy this game. They've done it in the past, but it seems as though you have to have the channel for this one.

Anonymous said...

michael says...

UTAH 0
BYU 2008

Anonymous said...

michael says...

UTAH 0
BYU 2099

Jonny, Mel, Aaron said...

Mel here...

Hum. I'm guessing BYU will have 2 field goals and 3 touchdowns, 1/3 pats good. Utah will have 3 field goals and 2 touchdowns, 2/2 pats good.

BYU: 25
Utah: 23

It would be a good Bday gift for Jonny the day before his 25th.

Anonymous said...

I feel so crushed Johnny. You filled me up with hope and excitement, and then it all turned out to be empty promises. It's like I'm listening to an Obama speach all over again.

Stephen said...

hey 'he who must not be named:' you'd better watch yourself...

Matt said...

Chris, I feel so sorry for you.

Big party at my place in ABQ. It will be a mixed crowd of BYU & UofU fans. Interesting that all UofUers coming to watch are Obama supporters...

I am recording last year's game right now (re-playing on the MTN.), and will be watching it tomorrow night, struggle to sleep all night like I did on Christmas Eve when 6 years old, and plug into College Gameday early Saturday morning in preparation for the game.

A.J., I am more concerned about BYU's chances than I had been the previous two years, but as far as rivalries go, I would much prefer to be on the Trojan side of USC/UCLA these days. Rivalries are not always back and forth every couple of years, and Utah still dominates the history. Besides, a true fan could never predict against their team (unless the outcome is completely obvious). I am really nervous about it and won't be surprised if the Cougs don't pull it out, but I WILL be devastated if that happens. Would you ever predict against your beloved Ducks, especially in Corvallis next week?

BYU 27 Utah 24, possibly in overtime.

Go Cougs! If Austin is on fire like last week, the spread could be better, and expect Fui to go ballistic. Beware Asiata (sp?) of the U in the Wildcat formation and gadget plays.

Oh, and I would appreciate Obama putting some pressure on the greedy Big Conference Sops.

The Frandsen's said...

Utah is a good team but this game will be decided by which BYU team shows up. If the team that showed up for most of the game against AF and the first 4 games of the season shows up BYU will win by 10-17 points. If the TCU game shows up BYU will get trounced. IF BYU's O plays towards it top level we will be able to outscore Utah even if the U is playing well.

BYU's D has looked bad but seemed to improve the last 2 games and statistically isn't that far behind Utah. The D should be able to hold the U to 21-28 points if the offense doesn't turn the ball over and put pressure on the D. If BYU doesn't turn it over...BYU 38-28. If BYU does turn it over U34-21

paul said...

nice to hear from you matty. don't give yourself an ulcer...

darin: i'll count your 'BYU as winner' towards the prop 8 sign...

paul said...

see the video here to be fully prepared for saturday's game...

Rob and Kelli said...

Well, I get this page at 11:00pm last night begging me to leave a post. After reading the posts it would seem Paul's inner being was needing a little reality. All I can say is same old, same old cougs. 59-0? And while Michaels 2008-0 prediction is cute it goes to show he is learning early how to think like a cougar. The lack of reality always gets to me with cougar fans. I realize that prior to a rivalry game one gets excited enough to talk one's self into a win. But lets look at the game as rational, educated sports fans. The unbiased "experts" (except Dick Harmon-but then he's an expert at being a BYU fan) both locally and nationally (see ESPN/CBS picks - all Drum and Feathers) pick Utah to win. The majority of the college football odds have the UTES winning by a touchdown. So the UTES are favored to win. Now one could argue that does not always predict a winner but then Bronco is no Leach. Even when the Cougs have been favored (ie the last two years) they needed a last minute drive to win. I can't remember the last time Bronco coached the Cougs to a big win being a decisive underdog. The game is at Rice-Eccles were the UTES have done well this year. Pitta is not 100%. BYU got humiliated by a similar team match-up at TCU. I expect a similar result but I limit my spread to 10 pts given it is a rivalry game. GO UTES.

Anonymous said...

Rob, I was kidding about 59-0. Utah is not as good as TCU. Sorry. You got lucky. And even the most rabid Utah fans can admit that.

You do realize that BYU gained more yards against TCU than Utah , and BYU's defense held TCU to fewer yards than did Utah... That doesn't really matter. All that matters is the final score. I'm just sayin'.

You know, part of me wants the U to beat BYU tomorrow, just so the U can get spanked by a Big 12 team in a BCS bowl game. The Utes have been so lucky this year. It makes me sick. They were bailed out by the refs in the OSU game on the pass interference call on the two point conversion at the end of the game. And the TCU game was just a joke. It was obvious that the better team didn't win that game.

In all reality, Utah definitely has the edge tomorrow, but to say that the U is going to kill BYU is silly. I guess we'll see.

None of this was meant to be mean spirited. I'm just calling it as I see it.

Honestly, are you scared for the uties to face a solid team from the Big 12 in a BCS game? I'm scared for you. If you face Texas, Oklahoma or Texas Tech, it could get ugly. And I think all the so called 'national experts' would agree (just to use your reasoning).

If you face Alabama, I think Utah has a chance.

If you face Florida, you might as well not even show up to the game.

If you face a Big 10 team, ie Ohio State, Utah might have a chance.

Good luck. If the Utes win tomorrow, I would pray that they don't face a team from the Big 12. They would not only embarrass themselves, they would also embarrass our conference.

Go Cougs!!

paul said...

rob's visit was just what this thread needed:) we're honored to have your first comment here on the blog.

rob meet jonny (my brother in med school at the u.)

jonny meet rob (my good friend in an anesthesia residency in gator country.)

both of you make good points. utah has had lots of close games and byu has had some impressive blowouts--(that you didn't watch rob.) they were also admittedly blown out by TCU...

jonny: the points you make about being embarrased if the utes play certain teams definitely applies to BYU as well.

the utes getting lucky against TCU is a settled fact...

luckily we get to settle it all on the field tomorrow...

GO COUGS.

Anonymous said...

anesthesia, eh? rob, i'd love to call and talk to you some time about anesthesia. it's nice to meet you.

The Frandsen's said...

Jonny,

All your points are right on about Utah. Rob said "played well at RES". Actaully the Yewties should have 2 losses at RES this year. If the team that played against OSU or TCU plays then BYU has a real chance.

I agree with Paul the BYU would spanked by any big 12/SEC team also. These 2 teams really are closer than many of our UTE bretheren think. Hopefully we will show it on the field.

Darin

Anonymous said...

Chris, I don't know if this site is legal, but there is live streaming here: http://www.rslfm.com

Anonymous said...

Rob, I take back everything I said. BYU stunk tonight. 6 turnovers? You have to be kidding me! Max had an awful night. I didn't see that coming at all.

Anonymous said...

I'll take the weekend to mourn the loss, but then I have to begin healing before the bowl game. I even tried to prepare myself for the loss and predicted it would happen. But an ugly blowout like that? That was way more than I was prepared to absorb. At least I don't live around any U of U fans to rub it in here in North Carolina.

Aaron Joseph said...

Is it too soon to ask if I won the prop 8 sign?

Really a discouraging game, but everyone should consider the mountain west as a big conference after this year. The big east's winner is #16 cincinatti, the Acc sucks, and once again the pac ten only has one good team. If the bcs never goes playoff, I'd like to see one automatic bowl bid for the non bcs schools so that another good team like tcu, the conference no. 2 could sneak in with an at large bid.

paul said...

no too soon. i think rob won at 34-24 but i can't remember the final score since i turned it off early. i'll look at it closer when i can bear to look...

Matt said...

My goodness. I think I have some internal bleeding. Now we can only hope that the MWC sticks it to every bowl opponent they face. BYU is certainly in for a favorable matchup.

The payout the Cougs will get for Utah entering the BCS will be as much as going to our conference championship bowl game. Tell me how that is fair for a conference this strong...

Unfortunately a pretty good Boise State team is out of the running because Texas Tech is still ranked above them. The Big 12 is looking to get three teams in the big bowls, unless there is some rule against this.

At any rate, we need A.J.'s Oregon Ducks to win this week to keep USC from getting an at-large bid if the Beavers to to the Rose Bowl. Go Ducks!!!

Matt said...

By the way, my Bishop predicted a Utah victory of 41-17. Pretty impressive that he nailed the spread. Was it bad for me to call him a heretic?

Aaron Joseph said...

The boise state business is nonsense, but do they deserve a spot over texas, oklahoma, or texas tech? I'd say probably not, even as a huge BSU fan. This is a problem that not even a playoff would fix.

Thanks for the support, Matt. I don't know if I could take a loss from oregon state after what happened to BYU. Surely sports can't be that cruel.

Christene said...

Are you guys okay? You've had this same post up for 1/2 a month! Not saying football isn't important.....

Ivan said...

Who made the call about Max Hall being overrated? Serioursly, that guy has the best receiver, tight end, O-line, and one of the top three running backs in the conference. He's decent like Johnson, but not a heisman contender, ever.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails