Sunday, July 13, 2008

Ode to Grandparents...

This week, Paul has had to return to work. I guess our little family's perfect existence with both the mom and the dad at home full-time couldn't last forever... but it sure was nice. But as I've had a few days to begin to settle into "normal" life where I'll actually be doing most of the childcare, cooking, driving and entertaining kiddos, cleaning, etc. etc. etc... I've been able to gratefully reflect on all the amazing help we've had this past month in the form of meals, helpful neighbors and friends, and most of all... GRANDPARENTS!!!


These four wonderful parents lovingly gave their time, talents, gas money, and sanity to make life easier for us California residents in the weeks following Ella's birth.

Grandpappy gave the okay for his ever-important home manager, beloved wifey, and mother to the 11-year-old son to be gone for a full week. Then, a week after her return, he didn't complain a bit to make the round-trip to California with her to come and see us again and stay for Ella's blessing.

Thank you, thank you Grandpappy!!!

Grandpatty arrived the night before we were to be induced, after a tinch of trouble navigating the CA freeways... again. :) After arriving safe and sound, she tirelessly worked to make life smooth and enjoyable for our family. She cleaned, cooked, encouraged, entertained, and beautified. She braved car trips and outings, and brought them to see their new baby sister.


Because of her doting love, I don't think the kiddos really missed us at the hospital, or noticed how much time I spent in my room recovering/sleeping with Ella. I will always treasure the time she gave me to enjoy the quiet moments of being a new mother of a precious newborn.


Not only did she wonderfully manage the kids and our home... she single-handedly sodded our backyard and fixed our sprinkler woes. Oh, and suffered an injury at the hands of an unstable wheelbarrow and our garage door (nothing her ER resident son couldn't suture up...).

Thank you, thank you Grandpatty!!!

Grandma Risenmay drove and drove and drove her car... then unloaded treasures from it for her grandchildren (they are still loving the rocking chair). By this time, I was feeling more myself... but not enough to make the many needed shopping runs. We appreciated a few of her infamous Costco runs, and Paul broke his diet a few times for some of her luscious treats. She insisted that Paul and I go out for a movie date (!!). The couches she bought for us during our garage sale expedition allowed for a family room re-vamp that we are loving! Her extra hands helped me ease back into the demands of life with 2.5-year-old twin daughters... and she never let me sit down to nurse without a cold water bottle on-hand.


Thank you, thank you Mother-Dear!!!

Grandpa Risenmay's time was almost completely monopolized by his almost-5-year-old grandson from the first morning he was here. They played basketball, football, golf, baseball, soccer, and made-up forms of imaginated new sports games. He endured new made-up rules, always loosing to Michael, and lots of time in the hot sun.


When the crazy ladies came home with two couches that had to be cleaned, he spent two afternoons and nearly single-handedly vacuumed and carpet cleaned them... and then moved on to clean our other two couches as well. The night Paul and I were given "off" for our date (!!!), we came back home the tender scene of a loving grandfather holding our newborn Ella. He had been simply holding his sleeping granddaughter for three hours, and told us it was one of the most enjoyable experiences of his life.


Thank you, thank you Daddy!!!

We missed all the hands and help when you all left. And now I sorely miss Paul when he is gone for his shifts. But... these are the days of my life... and it is a good one.

6 comments:

Dad (TMF) said...

You are welcome. Pat is ready to drive down there again.

Stephen said...

stephen is also ready to drive down there.

patty said...

I had so much fun and,as you know, I am already thinking of reasons to come back down.

Amy F said...

Come one, come two, come three... come all!!!

paul said...

everyone should drive down. we should all go to the beaach and body surf, or boogie board, or surf, or whatever.

Christene said...

You made me cry. I may only read these every few weeks, but am always uplifted.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails