i just finished it and i am at a loss for words. i loved it. this book was more intense, emotional, rewarding, moving, frustrating, and heartbreaking than the previous six. if you haven't read the books in the harry potter series, then it's time to stop the snobbery and join in this cathartic journey. if you have followed harry on his journey then i hope you enjoy this last ride as much as i did...

16 comments:
Marc and Todd have been taking turns. Marc finished yesterday. He loved it too. Todd is over 1/2 done, even though he has been working extra shifts at his new job at KFC.
Me? Snob? I have read on the web that the HP series is a plot against true believers and a tood of satan to promote Wicca and paganism. And I know that if you read it on the web it has to be true.
Repent!
I loved it as well. Really sad it is over. It was amazing the amount of loss I felt in finishing!
I loved the book.
*******SPOILERS ********
What a beautiful ending. I loved how Harry went to Voldemort at the end planning on dying for the good of the rest. I loved how he selflessly went without trying to get others to talk him out of it. Very moving. Funny, but I think I was most affected by the deaths of hedgewig and dobby. i teared up at the death of dobby.
i loved that this book really made the task seem bleak and unatainable for harry. it needed to be that way because what he was trying was impossible on his own. she then beautifully wove in the help of those who loved him. At each seemingly impossible task he was saved because of his goodness. it really seems to point to a Christ centered life and how God can protect those who pray and live well. Not to say that bad things don't happen to good people (all the time), but it was touching to see things turn out well for harry in a very believable way...
**** Spoiler*****
I loved how Hagrid carried Harry when he thought he was dead. You could just feel him being torn up inside. And a little part of me died with Hedgewig and Dobby.
The only thing I was really diappointed in was that JK thought she needed to include cuss words in this book. It had been such a clean read before this book. Or am I forgetting???
What did you think of Fred dying??? Did you know prior to reading the book that Harry was the last Horcrux???
********spoiler*********
i will never read this book, i hereby promise. and its not out of snobbery: its out of complete and utter laziness.
that was stephen
this little video blog tells my feelings about the days leading up to the harry potter release...
******spoilers********
strangely i wasn't affected as much by fred's death as others...dad mentioned that this morning as the only thing that marred the book for him.
i had heard the horcrux idea from my good buddy orson card. i was 70% sure that both harry and voldemort would die--and they did. i was just very pleasantly suprised that harry died and then resurrected...:)
i believe there were a few cuss words in the last book, but maybe most of them were british...?
christene's thoughts on hagrid i completely agree with. hagrid is one of a kind and seeing him care so deeply for harry was powerful.
i was thinking again about other spots where i teared up and the moment during potterwatch when lupin mentioned that harry is usually right (about being a father and staying with tonks). i teared up again when he reunited with harry in the room of requirement. what powerful emotions as harry responded so viscerally to the effect of a father leaving his child. in the end the real tragedy was that lupin and tonks left their son for the cause of war...
stevie: i think your ascribing your not yet having read harry potter to laziness is the only answer that could have come close to appeasing me...but i am not appeased.
****************Spoilers*************
I had kept trying to guess at what the cover was for the whole book. I suppose now that it is the last scene in the great hall with the ceiling mimicking the breaking of dawn outside.
I was a bit let down by the epilogue (not enough details to satiate my need for data), but how fitting that it all end at Hogwarts with all of his friends, admirers, enemies, and even loved ones that had passed on before.
i hadn't resolved where the jacket cover took place till now :)
what a great time reading. i can't wait till six months or so is up and i can read the book again with the details just a little hazy so i can enjoy it all over again..:)
brilliant! I was wondering what the cover was as well, I would have never guessed.
orson gives his opinion of deathly hallows here. although it feels more like an indictment of english literature professors, he and i agree that the series and its final pages are deeply moving.
i like his ideas about how fictional stories that ring morally true can become just as important as actual events in our lives...
and this is orson's more in-depth analysis of what makes harry great and how our world is better because of him.
it is long though. you may want to speed read, skim or skip it all together...
Finally finished on Tuesday...
It is funny about me and this book. I wasn't really drawn up in the first part as much as I wanted to be. I kept waiting for it to get good like I knew it would... and was still wondering at page 350 +.
It all turned around for me when Ron returned, and got very hard to put down once they were captured in the Malfoy Manor. I must say the kiddos watched the Leapfrog Letter Factory more than once the day I finished it (Leapfrog is educational... you know...).
So Doby's death was the saddest moment for me... the best moment was when Harry came back to the Room of Requirement with a full-fledged army to back him up. Very moving.
I was glad for the interaction with Dumbledore (for which I had been aching), and for the explanation behind his the mystery of Snape. Dumbledore's past was fraught with mistakes and regrets, which humanized him a little more than I expected. I thought there would be a pointed, moral reason behind his supposed shady past... but it ended up being shady after all. I guess it all speaks to the ability to change and turn the past into working wisdom for the present and future.
I found many "types" of Christ in Harry and his situation... especially in his selfless sacrifice... indeed, for the greater good. Voldemort and his motives--of course, evil.
Hermione is amazing... Harry was so lucky to have her--a truly loyal friend.
Ron is such a boy. He's lucky to have Hermione, too.
Mrs. Weasley really pulled it out at the end--that was awesome!
And it was so fulfilling to see Neville come to figure out who he really was--a Longbottom we can all be proud of.
I was hoping for more of Ginny...
But you're all probably tired of talking about Harry Potter by now.
I think re-reading in a few months would be fun, too...
Post a Comment