Sunday, July 29, 2007

Michael's Birthday (belated)...

So we celebrated Michael's 4th birthday last month... July 2nd... and I am just now getting around to putting some pictures up for ya'll. Sorry for the delay. By now most of our beloved readership has seen the big 4-year-old in person during our "July Tour of Families" in Utah and Oregon. But here is a reflection on the birthday festivities...

This year's birthday was car-mania. When he came home from preschool, take a look at what he found in his bedroom...



As Paul and I put the race car bed together, we kept wondering if it was a little over-the-top... but for $20 at a garage sale... what mom could resist?? He has been thrilled with it ever since.



Here are some of the other cars he got to add to his collection...



... and they've all been riding and talking together ever since.

That Saturday was the CARS birthday party. Although I was tempted, I didn't do another Lightning McQueen cake... but did a race track "4" instead...



He really loved it. That morning the birthday guests arrived... all 18 of them! The rest of it is a bit of a blur, and we don't have many pictures to document the actual events... you can imagine that the 1 1/2 hours with a swarm of 3-5 year-olds (and cute Kaile) took a bit of attention. Luckily my Aunt Sarah was there and helped out a bit, and the girls napped until the very end.

Anyway... we colored pictures of Lightning and his friends, raced toy cars, painted wooden racecars...



and ate "tires" on a string (doughnuts).



We had two other games ready to go, but simply ran out of time. Here was the big birthday moment... which didn't quite go as planned.



All in all, it was a great time and we have a pretty big boy. Time is flying by so fast. It seems like only yesterday he was just a "Schmibbers"...

9 comments:

Jill T said...

I am chuckling right now at that last video. My kids and I just watched it 3 times and Zach said with a concerned face, "I don't want David to blow Michael's birthday cake out!" He was feeling for Michael.

What a fun party! I just may have to steal some of those ideas for a future b-day! That cake is a great idea! I love it!

Allan said...

How do yo make black icing? Really creative cake, Amy.

Amy F said...

Dad... you'd be astounded with all the things you can do with icing after a trip to the craft store. All it takes is the right doo-hickie. Black icing is a cinch with the special icing tint I got.

The race car cake I saw was an 8... which would be a little more conducive than a 4 to actual car racing... but we obviously didn't want an 8. It worked out fine.

After watching the last video today, Michael declared that "it's okay that David blowed out the candle for me. I got used to it and I had fun."

libby said...

Michael's face when he saw his car bed was classic... oh, to be four again!

Christene said...

Loved it, loved it. No wonder my kids had a good time. Wish I could have been there to help!

Hope you had a great trip!! Jan is hiking almost every Saturday in August. Will you ever be free on a Saturday the end of August or September???

Matt said...

Amy,

You make me feel like a negligent parent.

paul said...

matt: don't feel bad matt. i get to experience this feeling quite regularly...

Amy F said...

Matt... that's why you have Angela.

Christine... what about Sat. the 25th??? We'll talk...

So it has happened twice now that I've called when Paul is with the girls at home, and they say "Hi" to me on the phone!!! It is so sweet to hear their little voices on the phone? Perhaps they will be better phone talkers than Michael has been??? (although I'm not sure how much I really want THAT...)

Stephen said...

I WILL KILL DAVID!!!!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails