Sunday, May 13, 2007

Joy in Motherhood...

I must say that I had the most enjoyable Mother's Day to date this year. Paul, as always, was so thoughtful, and this is the first year Michael has really gotten into it--which made it all so fun! It all started earlier this week, after Paul took him Mother's Day shopping and they got a present for me. Paul warned him about his weasely mother who is remarkably good about guessing presents, and not to give ANY clues to me. He was tried and tested and came through without giving me a single clue. Remarkable.

The day started sometime after 6am when Paul came to bed after working the night. Returning from a night shift in the morning with another night shift to work that night means much of the day is spent sleeping. He wished me a Happy Mother's Day before going into a deep sleep. When the kiddos woke up, we all went downstairs and I found everything prepared for a wonderful breakfast. Pancake batter was set out by the griddle. Egg mixture was waiting in the refrigerator, syrup was made and ready, and there was a sweet note waiting on the oven. I enjoyed a wonderful breakfast with the kiddos.

Before Paul crashed, we agreed that he would get some needed sleep before coming to the last hour of church, and that I would put the girls down for their nap and just take Michael to Sacrament Meeting (Paul would bring the girls after his/their nap). Enjoying a “calm” sacrament meeting was kind of a Mother’s Day treat, too. I got to watch Michael’s Primary Performance debut as he sang “I often go walking” and “Mother dear, I love you so” with a huge grin (and a few words). Every time he looked at me during the songs, his smile got a little bigger. I’m glad he felt special as he did something so special for me. I loved it.

At home after church, we were getting lunch ready when Michael came in and did this:



In primary they taught him how to say “I love you” in sign language. He was happy to use his new skill many times today, and it never got old for me.

I opened my presents after lunch… Michael finally gave me some clues.

After lunch, our house transformed into a peaceful Napping House, and I got a wonderfully restful Mother’s Day nap.

The late afternoon was filled with nice phone conversations with those who mother me, and a wonderful salmon dinner Paul made. We enjoyed a dinner before he headed out the door for the night.

I won’t write about the night-time fiascos with Michael and Bekah tonight… but I did get to do a lot of mothering tonight. But I guess it is only fitting.

Here are some other fun times from this week…

Bekah can really get down… check out the tongue action! (someone needs to tell the camera man not to dance while taking video…)



Every few mornings, the twisting chair gets re-discovered. But someday, they won’t all fit on the chair together….



Thanks for letting me share my special day with you!

18 comments:

Christene said...

Hsppy Mothers Day! You really deserved it! Kuddos to you, Paul, for knowing how to make a woman feel special and well rested, two things every woman needs!

Dad (TMF) said...

Everyone needs a laughing place. Now I can laugh everytime I hit the play button.

Melissa said...

I can't believe how big your kids are! They are adorable. I am glad you had a wonderful mother's day

Stephen said...

cute cute cute cute cute. thats what that was.

Amy F said...

Awwwwwww... Stevie said cute. I'm touched.

Melissa... good to see you here.

We found out today that our car is, indeed, considered "totaled." No more green Accord for us... goodbye old friend. I am sad. We'll be going to get our things out of it this week, and will hear sometime soon about what kind of $$ we have to work with to get another car. I'll be sad about not having that car... damaged roof and all!

paul said...

yes bekah broke it down. the girls broke down a few times at california adventure today, but we got in on the talking crush and monster inc rides. michael was enthralled and amy and i loved these rides we had never seen before.

i used petey's russian mp3 site to get that particular gem of a gwen song for our listening enjoyment.

Amy F said...

So here's a the "quote of the day" from one of the ER medical blogs Paul frequents:

From a charge nurse to hysterical patient with a stuffy nose whose chief complaint was "I can't breathe" -

"Ma'am, if you can talk, you can breathe...Ma'am, just calm down...Ma'am that hole in your mouth is bigger than the two holes in your nose! If you can talk, you can breathe!"

Crushing logic, isn't it?!!

paul said...

so the dj: utah beat the suns 3-1 on the season. it should be a great series if the suns can move on from their 'dirty' series.

Aaron Joseph said...

Who taught Bekah those funky moves? I love it!

Amy F said...

I've swept up the contents of four different cereal boxes today.

Matt said...

Let me guess, Cheerios... Honey Nut Cherrios... and two more boxes of Cheerios.

Bekah does have some funkalicious moves. She and Max will have to cut some rug out in Branson next week to some Dolly classics.

Sorry about your green machine. It will not comfort you to know that Chewy will be going back under the knife this weekend either...

Matt said...

Robert Horry = Rascal

We can thank him for ruining a great series by loosing his temper with less than 20 seconds in the game. Who wouldn't have jumped off the bench after seeing that cheap shot?

Jonny, Mel, Aaron said...

paul, did you see that your man mitt is leading by double digits in new hampshire, and according to the zogby poll he's leading in iowa by one?

what did you think about his performance the other night in the GOP debate? i didn't think he really got a good chance to make a great impression; however, his post-debate-polls seem to be doing pretty well.

Anonymous said...

Oh, those videos really made me miss the kids. What a great mom you are Amy. I am so glad that you don't pay someone else to raise your children, they are priceless and so are you.

paul said...

yes, the suns spurs series was a disaster. the suns have a real gripe and the NBA commisioner just let it happen. what a joke. too bad for all involved...not the least of which because the jazz can NEVER beat the spurs at home.

i'm discouraged by some of the anti-mormon stuff being thrown at mitt lately. i originally thought he could rise above it, but it may not be so. he's getting from both side. the DNC is amazingly vehemenent about him--the nytimes, cnn, msnbc and others buy into the same rhetoric hook line and sinker...

thank you for your kind words mom. they are great, i just wish i were awake more often to help amy with them inbetween shifts...

Christene said...

Amy, I hate to tell you that I enjoyed hearing about you cleaning up cereal, but I could do a jig. It is good to know that even perfect mothers have bad days. :)

paul said...

christene: amy wasn't quite sure what you meant by 'doing a jig' for her having swept up cereal. it all became clear when i did jig for her myself and michael started mimicking the dance. jigging definitely added fun to our sunday night.

Christene said...

glad I could help. Maybe 'doing a jig' could be my No talent at the talent show. Watch out Branson!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails