when michael first met lightening mcqueen he was in awe. he did not previously believe life had this experience in store for him. the feelings he experienced were unknown to him at that point in his life. it was touching to watch him.
how many firsts do we get? what would life be like without firsts? does a being who knows all things still experience firsts? are firsts split evenly between fabulous and ferocious?
in utah last week, bekah hugged a dog for the first time.
firsts can add variety, deepen our lives, give new meaningful experiences. what was it like the first time you jumped on an air mattress?
do you vividly remember the first time you skinny dipped with your brothers?

or the first time you surfed?

or your first chance to bless your daughter?
everything about your first backpacking trip was surely not pleasant...

youth lends itself to firsts. life is wonderful and magical. does the magic end for everyone? is there a way to maintain childlike wonder? i think there is. relationships, careers, goals, aspirations, illnesses--they all allow for new experiences. they allow for room to grow and become new and different.
if you've been down lately think back to the time when you believed spider man was real and find something to place your faith and belief in--something requisite to the new person you have become...

9 comments:
What is up with the picture of the fat white guy putting on a wetsuit?
Beautiful, Paul. But I am biased with so many pictures of happy firsts for me. It is wonderful being a mother... with each child, their firsts get to be your firsts all over again. The good, the bad, and the ugly.
The first picture was Michael's first in-person meeting of Lightning McQueen and Mater at California Adventure this Monday. He had that happily overwhelmed, "I can't believe this is really happening" shyness about him as he slowly walked around the replica cars... soaking it all in. One of the "pit crew" disney workers who was standing around noticed him, and came over to talk to him. He offered Michael a black and white checkered flag, and asked if he wanted to be the one to start the "race" when Lightning left. Of course! He did a barely audible "On your mark, get set, go!"... but Lightning heard and responded with a revved up engine and a honk goodbye. I don't know how many kiddos get to have that first!
I love it. What a fun post . . . but I would have to contend that many seconds are just as good firsts. Like listening to your children sing to themselves, it gives me a chill and a smile every time :)
How fun for Michael. Garrett and Claire were so excited for him. Garrett is convinced that he and Michael need to sit on Lightning's roof to get a ride. Does he talk? I have never been to CA adventure. Is it worth it?
a really nice link about what it means to be mormon in light of the pbs documentary.
magaret young is an english professor at byu. her husband bruce gives some great comments a little further down.
try these words of romney's
Lightning doesn't talk... but he is rather loud with the constant revving of his engine and some of the fun songs from the soundtrack blasting from speakers on his window. Michael loved standing by him and listening to the songs. Mater sounds clunky and does his "tipping tractor" honk. It is really cute.
California Adventure is one we need to further explore before giving a good recommendation. It has a lot of the Pixar attractions... which is nice for kids that are really into the latest movies. Nothing will capture the Magic of Disney... but a parkhopper pass can give you both! We're going to be sad when our season pass expires in June... we're unsure if renewing it is a likely possibility. :(
Matt... wetsuits are plain hard to put on (and to take off!). No worries.
Paul this is you "first" time to be 29. I hope you'll enjoy all your firsts this year. Happy Birthday, Happy Cinco de Mio(?sp) and Happy Boys day in Japan. May 5th is such a popular day to be born on.
Paul, glad to know you had a great Birthday. I did too, but bet you have down loaded more on your Ipod then I have so far. I'm not computer savy. MAY 5th is the best day of the year don't ya think. I need help down loading :) Wes just down loaded some junk for me and now I have to figure out how to delete ha. I loved all the pictures, guess Paul I will never get my picture of you on your bike. I just ran out of ink in my printer today. glad to know Spider Man lives on.
maryann: i will try to get a dvd made up with a bunch of songs on it and send it to you. bug me until you get it. you can pay for music on itunes, or you can paypal money to musicmp3.ru and get your tunes for 10 cents per song from the great country of russia...:)
Post a Comment