we spent 12 hours yesterday in the er with abby for fever and belly pain. after iv fluids, iv antibiotics, morphine, enemas, ultrasounds, ct scans and lots of crying she is feeling more chipper. no specific source was found for her pain and fever. it was a new strange scary experience for us. thanks to dad f for fielding our calls all day as we navigated through the experience. she seems fine today, but we'll continue to pray for her. it was one way we did not plan on spending our downtime after amy's return from the reunion (more on the reunion later--after we take some naps :)

12 comments:
That is horrible news guys, although it's nice to hear she is doing better. Best of luck, and we'll be praying for you.
thanks smajus.
i forgot to mention that we sedated abby with propofol. great drug though, she was completely out and breathing for 10 minutes and walking around the ER 10 minutes later...
she saw her pediatrician again today and received more reassurance. we're just glad to be climbing out of the scary whole of yesterday.
Sorry to hear that. Trips to the ER can put a real strain on families in more than one way.
When I first saw the post, Paul's lack of capitalizing, punctuation, and the first picture on the post made me think that the post meant, "abby in the er... buff", with "er" being the noise you make when you don't want to say the word out of a sense of civility. I was wondering how spending twelve hours in the buff was going to relieve stomach pains, but you can never be too sure what those Californians will try next...
we californians definitely roll like that. the buff is always better...
Glad to hear she's doing better. I'm still waiting for a vacation report!
i find that being buff in the tub for a few hours really helps with just about anything. :)
I'm glad to hear Abby is doing better! Can't wait to hear about the vacation.
New post at www.libndeej.blogspot.com
I've been wondering if bathing and buff habits are genetic or socialized in the Frandsen family?????
Michael happily spent 1 hour in the bathtub today... and the practice is being passed on.
Today Abby had a resurgence of whatever sickness is haunting her, and Bekah has a bit of it too. This is relieving, in a way, because we know it is some kind of virus and not something wrong with organs/anatomy. They both had 6-7 times where they cried for about 20 minutes. All I can do is give them tylonol and a good holding/comforting until it is over. They are sleeping well tonight... I'm hoping it is over soon.
Paul is at a conference this weekend and took the computer that has all the reunion pictures. I was wanting to do a Branson post... but it looks like it will have to wait another few days...
Can't wait to check out Libby/DJ's new site. Here I go...
Is this anything like what Max had??? I hope they get over it soon!!! Go MOM!!! Give them kisses for us. I miss them already. And Garrett is already asking for another plane ride with Michael.
All is on the mend here today!!! Bekah had a little fever, and Abby still isn't quite herself... but no crying fits of pain. Whew.
You know, it was really quite fun to be in the Emergency Department, where my hubby works all the time, and see what it is really like. I think I understand a lot more of what he talks about now when I ask how his day went!
The thing that amazed me was that the doctors and nurses will be managing 6 to 8 acute cases--complete with labs, consults, testing, medications...--at the same time. That takes organization. Perhaps Paul just uses all of his organization at work--nothing leftover to use at home! hee, hee.
Paul reflected on what a different experience it was to be in the ED as a patient (well, father of a patient). We both noticed things that really made a difference in our experience (the "bedside manner" of the doctors/nurses). Our doctors and nurses showed genuine concern and communicated so well with us. It made a scary experience so much more bearable.
I guess I'm still processing the whole experience.
a great commentary on oil, conservation and its importance...
Great article, Paul. I am afraid though that, like usual, we will delay signifiant life style changes until we are personally confronted with the inevitable.
I am glad that some people out there recognize that we are releasing millions of years of accumulated CO2 in a few decades. Stupid statements about volcanos and cow methane aren't going to cut it. Even if we discover new "vast reserves" we are still in trouble.
Post a Comment