Wednesday, November 08, 2006

mormon pre-empts romney...


Well, the writing is on the wall and it is conceivable that in two years--if my predictions hold up--we may have two mormon's among the ten (or so) most powerful men in Washington...that should get the cult conspiracists talking.

Congratulations to the democrats. Maybe their time at the anti-WalMart rallies paid off. Perhaps it had more to do with the debacle parodied by peter and stephen on halloween. Maybe it has to do with very poor managment of a fragile Iraq in the first few weeks, months and years after 'victory' was acheived. Whatever the reason, it will be nice to see Bush actually use his veto power (once in six years? you could probably keep your liscense if you only had momentary lapses of blindness every six years...)

I look forward to a better balance of power. More checks, more compromise and probably more gettting done in the nation's capital.

Congrats to Reid. Condolences to Hatch. And watch out for Romney.

24 comments:

petey said...

paul.
well said. my first thoughts were along the same lines about this country being run by you know who... the mormons. the question is, if harry runs and mitt both run good presidential campaigns, we will have no option but to elect a mormon...

as for more compromise. i doubt that. i don't think anything, save vicious bickering, is going to get done over the next two years. controlling all three branches for the last six didn't "mission accomplish" anything, now it seems the debaucle will only continue til bush is out of office.

Matt said...

I think i agree with petey (not sure who you are, but I think I agree with you). Nothing is going to get done in Washington over the next two years, but I think it woke up the powers that be. The total deflation of the Democratic party two years ago has, I believe, been responsible for a substantial amount of hubris among the Republican administration and party over the past couple of years. This election has shown them that they cannot do what they want, but must do what we want to remain in power.

It is my opinion that the results of the elections will help the Republicans to push forward a candidate who is truly conservative (fiscally responsible, traditional values, secure homeland). The Bush administration has not been truly conservative. They have kept us safe in the homeland and maintained traditional values, but they have not been responsible and seem disconnected from the people.

I like what has happened, because this brief call for reform may ultimately save us from a Democratic administration in the White House. Without the results of this election, conservative Americans may have been set up for a big fall in 08'.

I think Mitt has a good chance. He has shown himself to be consistent with conservative values that most Americans agree with. The only great hurdle he has is the "Mormon" hurdle. Will conservative americans come to elect a practicing mormon as their President? It may be a long shot.

Go Cougars!

paul said...

i'm for more getting done the next two years. if more isn't done, at least bush will be forced to explain himself more often.

however, i think the discussions on the hill will be more productive instead of the ruling part just pandering to their base.

yes. go cougars tonight. conference champs?

petey said...

matt.
its nice to meet you. i'm paul's cousin. the one who is lucky enough to live with paul's little brother tiny teven AKA the ny chister.

paul said...

petey: i was hoping that chister had some pithy meaning, but i couldn't find it if it does.

stephen is fefinitely the nyc hipster.

jonny: aj has, and always will be, a loyal BYU fan. he felt he had a duty to give himself fully to the oregon ducks as a freshman at the school. i think he sits in the enviable position of being able to root for both teams and be happy with either outcome.

jonny: your next comment should include at least some semblance of an attempt to address the issue at hand: mormons in power.

i'm suprised we haven't riled the frandsen elders into defending president bush...

i'm suprised the nyc hipster still answers to 'tiny teven'.

it's nice to see matt and peter are getting along.

paul said...

jonny: little effect.

it would have been nice to have bloxham give you a 5 (that would have helped).

if bloxham had given you a 3 that would have hurt (unlikely you would have received a 3).

too bad bloxham is gone. he was a friend of the frandsens.

utah didn't use the committee score anyway.

paul said...

jonny, :)

Anonymous said...

Paul,
I find it interesting that the NY chister or hypster or whatever he is hasn't responded yet. Since he has changed his views so fully since he became 'hip'.
I was glad to see Donald step down, and as Stephen told me, it is too bad he didn't do it a couple of weeks before the election. Mom
p.s. I think we missed out on the Halloween debaucle. Someone needs to clue us in.

Stephen said...

look at mom throwing out the insults...

paul said...

It is hard to know what to think about the possibility of a mormon in the presidential office. There are so many issues surrounding a worldwide church, and that office is so politically charged right now worldwide...

A mormon in office could be very positive for the church in many ways and open many doors... but it could also have many negative effects. I agree with Jonny in not being sure that Mitt will even win the Republican nomination. And if he did, I tend to be pessimistic about anyone's chance running against Hillary. Ugh.

paul said...

Yes, Stephen... tell us about your Halloween politics. I hear they were pretty scary.

petey said...

if a vote for hillary is a vote for bill, then i might be ok with that, i mean, she is the victim of a unfaithful husband, so maybe she deserves a chance. she has been thru so much and made so many contributions to her "village" to raise a child that you have to like her.

(if you didn't throw up in your own mouth after reading that, please read it again. please don't let hillary be elected as president) 8 more years of the clintons after 8 more years of the bushes, the international community will mock us more than they already do. i thought american was founded on the will of the people and not the ruling few. enough of these families!

its time for some new blood. and if that blood is mormon blue thru and thru, so be it. just as long as its new. my words are true. don't misconstrue. i'd be blue, if you do. thank you.

the end.
by: petey s frandsen

paul said...

hi mom.

stephen is hip and with it. please don't debate that.

stephen: mom wasn't insulting you, she was complimenting you.

halloween=mark foley (not the catheter)

Matt said...

Paul,

A little off subject, but you mentioned that you may be getting tickets for the BYU vs. UoU game after Thanksgiving. I just realized that I will be in the area as well. How could I get a couple of tickets if I were to convince my wife of the importance of the game?

paul said...

we've hit a snag for that. the game is sold out and all that is left are $100 tickets on 3rd party sites. My buddy has two in the Utah student section. You could probably use those, but you can wear BYU paraphenalia (strict rule of his) unless you sit elsewhere).

I think we'll probably just watch the game at my parents since $1000 to the family up is probably not worth it.

Dad: By the way, we need to get tickets to the las vegas bowl. The $20 tickets are sold out. The $30 tickets are going fast... The cougar club tickets are probably $50 or so...

petey said...

paul.
chister has no meaning. it is a typo for chipster. i hope you know what that means w/o resorting
to urban dictionary dot com.

stevey IS the ny chipster.

jonny:
i think losing committee is a loss. even tho everyone didn't agree with bloxham, it had one good strong point: consistency. agree or not, admissions ppl knew what they were getting. it will be interesting to see if the pre-prof placement rate rises or falls in his absence.

i'm selfishly for less people (esp from BYU) filling all the dental schools. some schools have anywhere from 20-45% mormon populations. like we need that many mormon dentists. considering that most will end up in the intermountain west and cali anyway. oversaturation is bad business.

too long a response to a short question. i think its a loss without committee.

Matt said...

Paul,

I am very interested in the tickets for the BYU game. I'm a little confused about what we can/can't wear. I am assuming that we would not be able to wear BYU apparel. That is fine as long as we can yell for the right team.

It was cool to see Arizona taking down Cal. Looks like they may have been worthy opponents after all. I'm excited to see how far BYU moves up in the standings. I predict 22 or 23 in AP, a break into the coache's poll, but nothing in the BCS.

Matt said...

Jonny,

You had dinner with John Beck? Lucky! I am really impressed with how he has developed. He has seemed so collected over the past few games. I really want him to finish it out this season and play in the bowl game like he has against the Mountain West. My hat goes off to him and the coaching staff that have given him the confidence and tools that have made him into the leader he is.

Yes, Jonny, I agree. A loss is a loss and it hurts you any way you look at it. It is hard for me to contain the excitement I feel for this team though. They are worthy of much more than a No. 4 PAC-10 team at the end of the season. I find myself talking about it all to people that could care less (like many of you who will read this comment). If truth be told, my favorite conversationalist is an autistic man in my ward that never tires of talking college football.

I'm excited for them to come to Albuquerque next year, and I look forward to the devotional they always hold the day before the game as much as the game itself.

paul said...

did someone get john beck's autograph?

the ranking is great. it would be fun to get BYU against a quality team now that they are rolling.

hillary and bill (huuaagghh)

# of ER docs in Utah=oversaturation

michael was lightning mcqueen last night. he went into the bathroom, turned off the light and said, "i am speed. vroom, vroom. i am spped" this mentally prepared him to race around the house while carrying a red pillow out in front of him. for a few bright moments he was the car.

paul said...

Paul hasn't been home today because he is on call... but Michael has continued to be a car today. He had on a white shirt before church, and proclaimed that he was now a white race car. "I am speed."

Those rankings are exciting for our team, aren't they?? We're already planning for the San Diego game next year, as Matt is in Albuquerque. Paul and I think it is a little sad that the Cougs start doing so well the YEAR we moved out-of-state. Is that a good reason to stay in CA??

Stephen said...

who are the cougs everyone keeps talking about? i'm overly impressed with the length of everybodies' comments. kudos.

paul said...

silly stevie

Matt said...

Stephen,

What is the picture accompanying your name all about? Just curious, because I have seen pictures of you (from Amy and Paul), and it looks nothing like you...

paul said...

silly sailor

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails