Sunday, October 01, 2006

michael loves BYU.

Michael loves the BYU.

So, just a quick caveat to this post before we move on. I don't want you getting dissapointed that this blog is just a photo journal with a bunch of 'stuff and flugg' (anyone still watch Winnie the Pooh?). We will give you life updates often, however, there will also be occasional posts that just might reach a level of art seen in certain sacrosanct spots elsewhere.

Back to the BYU. Michael is shown below as he arranges his cars. When in Michael's presense, please don't refer to them as 'cars' as I have just done. You will be quickly corrected. They are football players and the second picture will serve as your guide.


Notice which players are sports cars and which are more run down. This will give you an idea of which players are Michael's favorites. Dan Bates didn't make this list; however, when Michael and I play football in park near our home Dan Bates is the kicker.


The fantasy doesn't end with the cars. At dinner the other night, Michael announced that he was John Beck. We had been in a hurry to get him seated and begin dinner, so Amy humored him and asked Dad to help John Beck into his seat. Michael didn't budge and in dismay informed her that Dad was in fact 'just Hala Paongo'. Once we got that straightened out, things went smoothly as John Beck gave a blessing over dinner and Hala Paongo kissed the cook.

In the comments of our previous post (on which many members of the family have yet to comment--don't be shy), Peter asked about how to tell the girls apart. I will make an attempt to educate you.

Shown below are Bekah (on the left) and Abby (on the right). Amy's thought from a previous comment are as follows:

You asked how to tell the girls apart. Bekah's face is a little rounder, her eyes wider. Abby is a little smaller, and her eyes squint like her mom's when she smiles.

Does that help? Does Grandpa Frandsen still try to tell by the shape of their lips?

Truly, the biggest differences are in their mannerisms and personalities right now. If you could spend a day at our house, you'd be able to tell them apart easily.

That's an open invitation to anyone, you know!

Here they are in the 'mannerisms' poses. Abby getting ready to crawl around and Bekah strutting her stuff in the sitting position which she has mastered.


Below are two more pictures to help you get acquainted.
Bekah: She has really blossomed lately. Her face is much more expressive. She no longer rolls over when Abby crawls by to relive her of her binky. Her grip is quite strong and has won the majority of the binky battles of late. Oh, and this morning Bekah got so excited about the remote control in front of her that she dragged herself and kicked her feet and moved several inches to the previously out of reach item. She will be crawling within the week..?

Abby: She is so very expressive. When she is excited she shows it with every ounce of her being. The other day she saw something on the floor that she had to have. She start squirming and looking intently at the item. Before Amy had even set her down she was breathing rapidly as she readied for her flight to the item. Today during conference she dissapeared from our site. We found her in the corner of the room., where she had removed the outlet cover and was attempting to eat it.

This week was a nice one for us. We finally got our cars registered, so we are officially California residents. We enjoyed conference here at the house. We tried out the BYU TV streaming video. It was nice as we could pause if things got 'interesting' in the house. Highlights from conference? We both loved the power and feeling in Elder Holland's talk. On Saturday, my favorite was Elder Ballard's talk. His talk of loving members first and fulfilling a 'program' 2nd were much needed for me. There is a wide variety of commitment in our elder's quorum and love rather than guilt is the order of the day when working on home teaching.

Elder Eyring and Monson were both powerful talks during priesthood. People have different opinions on the lyrical style of Elder Monson, but I felt from him a power that emanates from his example. He is a man that spends most of his waking hours in service. The sheer volume of names and faces that he remembers is amazing. What is more amazing is that he goes one step further and goes into the homes of the people he knows on a seemingly daily basis to serve them.

What talks were your favorites and why. Was there anything that suprised you? How did President Hinckley look? He is inspiring as he carries on despite his grief over the loss of his wife and his recent surgery.

Oh, and Happy Birthday Hannah! Seventeen and writing to a missionary (how's that going by the way?)

Well, this weekend has been great--beginning with the BYU v. TCU game on Thursday. So from Michael's 'cars' and the rest of us here in California we say, "rah, rah, rah, rah, rah".

15 comments:

paul said...

Yes, I think BYU is just as close to us as it was in Utah. In fact, Michael has named the big grassy area in our neighborhood "BYU."

Wasn't Conference fantastic? It truly addressed so many of the issues I've been thinking about lately.

I loved how Elder Holland completely exposed his trust and confidence in the bretheren to address the issues of today. There has been a lot of questioning about this or that stance of "the Church" on touchy subjects. I remember a quote that Russ and Christie (Frandsen) have in their kitchen... something to the affect that God isn't a celestial politician looking for our vote; he is to be sought after and obeyed. I have complete trust that the prophets, seers, and revelators seek divine guidance... and that they get it.

And the last song, "We Thank Thee Oh God For A Prophet" was very touching to me as well, Jill. What a wonderful man... and an amazing leader. He truly connects with his people, and it is so easy to feel God's love through him. Tonight my brother AJ remarked that he doesn't remember the church without President Hinckley... and there are so many like that (youth, young adults, and converts).

Better go. I'm teaching the preschool this week--the letter G. Wednesday is going to be "Green Day"... Paul got excited and had several musical selections to suggest.

Stephen said...

paul and amy. i like your posts. remember, though, when you put this stuff on line, any alien robot has access to it.

i liked conference too. i liked elder oak's talk on saturday morning. and paul, i'm with you on elder ballard's.

amy: for the letter G, might i suggest gumption?

petey said...

speaking of rah. i could totally go for some raw raw egg. its been forever since i had any.

and thanks for the pictures and descriptions of the girls. i'm anxious to meet them again.

stephen.
no you may not.

paul said...

Petey... we've already discussed this. It's rah-rah. Discussion closed.

The biggest winner for today's "G" day was "GO." I think the kids felt totally empowered learning how to spell a complete word. I had them chanting "G-O, Let's GO!" like that rock song "Hey, Ho, Let's Go." It was pretty sweet... Then we made stop/go signs and played "go" games where they took turns being the leader. They really got into it, and it was really cute.

We went outside to the grassy area in our neighborhood and Michael informed his classmates that "This is just BYU."

Speaking of BYU, we got the BYU program from Grandpa Frandsen today... Michael thought it was the greatest thing! If we can't go to the real game, at least we can have a program... thanks for thinking of us.

Oh, and Paul watched parts of the DVR-ed TCU game AGAIN this afternoon. Perhaps the 5th or 6th time. The man needs another sweet win from BYU.

Stephen... I'll consider gumption.

Anonymous said...

My favorite was also Elder Hollands's. I have talked to Joe several times this weekend and I could just see him on the high plains of Wyoming with his head done needing to be rescued. Let's get on board and go after him. I think it is time. He is suffering so much and could find so much comfort. I love the blog and my cute kids. You know I don't usually commet on blogs, but I do enjoy them.. By the way Paul I am certainly glad you waited to listen to your "music" until after your angels were in bed.

paul said...

mom, i'm glad you recognize how good my "music" is. and i am very excited that you commented on our blog. the more you comment the more we'll write mother dear.

paul said...

Jill... whatever the name of the egg substance, it looks like the tradition will not die in our generation.

Paul made rah-rah egg for my family when we were first married (remember that, guys?). I'm not sure it took, though. They still like him. Paul swears we didn't have the right kind of bread.

Which by the way... we are REALLY missing Grandma Sycamore bread (is it only sold in Utah?). Paul whines about it all the time. Honestly. So far, California has nothing to rival it. We keep trying different kinds, though...

Mom F... I also loved the visual image of rescuing distressed pioneers. Our reaching to the "lost" and "distressed" is as real and saving as the physical help the handcart companies received. Please keep us updated--we all have work we can do for those we love and miss in the gospel.

Anonymous said...

Amy, this one's for you. :)

I loved conference. It's always good, but I felt like this conference was wonderfully wonderful! The spirit spoke to me through every speaker. We have such incredible men and women at the head of the church. It is such a comfort to know we have such solid people leading us. My favorite talk was by Elder Oaks. And, of course, President Monson's. I love listening to him speak--he's so engaging, and his message always seems so well thought out and presented.

As for rah-rah egg, I'm going to have to give in and start making it when we have chillens in our little fam. However, since that won't be for a while, I don't have to eat it yet (although dad still tries every sunday to persuade me)(I'm fairly positive I spelled 'persuade' wrong... pursuade, pirsuade, pearsuade, persuadge... dunno).

Amy, you're such a cute mother! Reading your post made me want to come to California on Wednesdays to learn whichever letter happens to be on the docket for the day. I love hearing about your adventures. Tell Michael we have a little 'BYU' in our backyard in Pittsburgh. He'll have to come out and play in our grass!

Stephen... you and your robots... oh boy.

Paul: really? The sixth time? Don't you doctors have anything better to do with your time? Shouldn't you be healing somebody or something? Although, I guess if there's anything I can excuse wasted time for, it's BYU. I'm true blue.

As for me, things are crazy. My class load is just about killing me, but only a few more months and I'm done (you'd never know considering my spelling of the above word(s))! My senior recital is in four and a half weeks, so the stress is building. I keep hearing it's worth it...
DJ's doing well. He's also extremely busy, but he's doing really well in school, and he loves Pittsburgh (but there's no way it's nearly as good without me there.:) )

This post is officially way too long and way off the subject.
Love you all!

paul said...

great to have libby post!

libby, we prefer to misspell things here in california. please don't apologize about your spelling (and certainly don't correct anyone since we don't care).

dad might care but until he posts here he doesn't have any say (not to say we aren't waiting for him to post too).

just a clarification. when you watch a football game on tivo you can hit the 30 second fast forward button right at the end of each play and it takes you to the beginning of the next play. Each play is only a few seconds anyway. you can also forward through all the commercials and the half time. in reality it only takes about 45 minutes to watch an entire game that way. also, if you only watch the sweet BYU drives then you are looking at much less time.

that way you can heal people and watch byu beat up on tcu.

libby: good luck with the senior recital.

update: medicine isn't as bad as i thought. even a bit fun.

petey said...

paul.
on your last note. i couldn't disagree more. granted i'm not a doctor, not do have any idea what doctors really do (outside of lost, srcubs, and grey's anatomy). but i can't stand pharmacology. who really cares about competitive and non-competitive drug receptor curves...?

ok, maybe i guess i should take your word for it and agree that medicine is good/fun. but maybe its just at least like that on the other side of the diploma.

paul said...

Petey... Clarification for Paul: "Medicine" is dr. slang for "internal medicine" which is the rotation he is on this month. :) It has a bad reputation for having really bad hours, but so far his patient load hasn't been bad = happy wifey. But glad to hear you like medicine anyway.

Yes, everyone. Paul will never be too busy for the Cougars. Paul: I think it takes more than 45 minutes... mostly because you watch BYU's sweet drives a few times each watching!

Libby... so great to have you! You are more than welcome to be a preschooler with Michael anytime. It would be fun. And the degree is definately worth it. So will be the plane ticket back to Pittsburgh. Wish we could make your senior recital. Perhaps we could have a private play-by-play recap?

And you should all know that Paul made rah-rah egg last night. I made him promise he'd eat the left overs this time. We got Michael to the table by telling him it was "rah, rah, rah-rah-rah egg" (goooooooo cougars!).

paul said...

yes petey: pharmacology bites.

and yes life is exactly as portrayed on grey's anatomy (except i have a wife), scrubs (except i'm funnier than zach braff--and the janitor likes me) and ER (my inspiration for going into ER--clooney)

Stephen said...

yesterday i left a comment and it was witty and very funny. but today it doesn't look like it is here. what has happened? i guess i'll just have to bask in the awesomeness of the comment only i saw.

paul said...

that's strange. i didn't erase it...in case you were wondering.

paul said...

Stephen... surely you can be witty and funny again.

I took the kiddos to a pumpkin patch today, and it finally felt a bit like autumn. This is so strange... not having leavs change color, or that crisp feeling in the air. But actually this morning as we left the house, it was chilly enough that I had jackets on all the kids. I never thought I'd miss autumn this much.

I know I won't miss a cold, cold winter. But I might have a slight snow withdrawl.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails