Abby and Bekah. I cannot imagine my life without the two of you in it.

Nothing will ever compare to those first years. I felt like I was always feeding. You both nursed like champions, and I was amazed with how my body kept up with you through the first full year. I was blessed that you both ate and slept well, and I was able to keep you on similar schedules as babies... but it was still exhausting and overwhelming at times. Well... most of the time. Especially when you started walking and split in two different directions whenever I dared to let you out of your double stroller in public. Not. Fun. Especially in California. That's why you went from house to car seats to stroller and back again for the first 3 years of your lives. That's why we didn't quite explore all the fun places we lived close to during those 3 years in California... we stuck to Disneyland and did it a. lot.
Then we found that gated park just months before we moved. Where had that been the other 2 1/2 years we lived there??
But I felt from the beginning... and still feel it quite strongly... that in challenges where you are giving of yourself for a great purpose--especially motherhood--you are given the divine help that you need to measure up to the task. I learned to sink to my knees when I needed more than I had, and my prayers were always answered.
And they still are...
And bless those kind people who lent extra hands. Especially your Grandpatty (who deserves an elevator ride to heaven)... but also the ladies in church who scooted over to help when Paul was working Sunday mornings, the visiting teacher who insisted on taking on the challenge of babysitting so we could go to the temple, and the best friend/neighbor who spent hours upstairs with you so that I could take my turn teaching the preschool group we created. I learned to appreciate little acts of service that meant so very much. I hope that throughout my life I will be able to "pay it forward" and remember to give as I received.

A mother with a toddler and twins stood out in California. WAY out, and they could see me a mile away and usually graciously opened the door for me. But when they didn't, I'm afraid I banged up a few doorways with that double stroller of ours. The comment "Boy, do you have your hands full!" was expressed with fascination, encouragement, or bewilderment wherever we went. Then when I had Ella, boy were we a sideshow! I would strap Ella in the Baby Bjorn carrier on my chest, push you girls in the double stroller, and Michael would stand on a metal bar between the handle bars. Shopping for anything was an adventure!

But enough from memory lane.
From morning until bedtime, my thoughts, energies, and emotions are usually dominated by the two of you... in so many ways...
People often ask what it is like to have twins. My answer? Special. And it is. There is a bond that you share with each other and with me that comes from all this together-ness and shared experiences.
People also ask if you are similar. My answer? Nope. You are different in so many fun and fascinating ways. Ways that make you truly individual and unique... and ways that add so much to our family and the experiences you are giving me as a mother.

I used to think that the behaviors/attitudes/philosophies of a person had everything to do with how that person was parented as a child. The two of you have proven otherwise. From the womb you were each so different... Bekah would hold her own little place on the right side and would keep fairly still, until a sudden THUD would come from your heels or elbows. With Abby it seemed there was always fluttering and movement.
So it is now exhibited in your personalities... Bekah--mostly calm until you are NOT, and Abby--hard to get a picture of because you are always MOVING. I am convinced that I am seeing an outline for your interactions, personalities, and character now... and I need to remember and take notes on what works/doesn't work for the teenage years and beyond. Don't teenage troubles mirror toddler tantrums??
Aside from any troubles or tantrums, the sweet nature of your relationship with each other is something I envy. You are so lucky to have each other as sisters. You look out for one another, and know each other so very well. Your differences compliment each other, and I have not seen competition between you (aside from racing to pick car seats or spots next to me when we read).
My heart expanded when I had the two of you. You complicate my life in good ways that stretch me and strengthen me. I only hope I am giving you what you both need... together and individually. I love you, I love you. More than you'll ever know.
These pictures show their different personalities so well.
Abby

Affectionate, expressive, and so girly.

You love all things princess, kitty, and beautiful.


You bring spunk into our lives and are so fun to have as a companion during the day.


I love holding you, shopping with you, and listening to your explanations and special word combinations that help us know exactly what you mean.

Bekah

Always planning, creating, and scheming something new and great and wonderful.

You love all things princess, kitty, and beautiful.

You bring spunk into our lives and are so fun to have as a companion during the day.
I love holding you, shopping with you, and listening to your explanations and special word combinations that help us know exactly what you mean.
Bekah

Always planning, creating, and scheming something new and great and wonderful.


You love doing things yourself, trying new things, and don't mind getting dirty in the process.

You are the first one to say hello and the one who says goodbye the longest, and we love that you yell goodbye to us until you can't see us anymore.

Your sense of humor and jokes keep us laughing, and we are always trying to keep up with the plans you make.


You are the first one to say hello and the one who says goodbye the longest, and we love that you yell goodbye to us until you can't see us anymore.

Your sense of humor and jokes keep us laughing, and we are always trying to keep up with the plans you make.
I have learned so many lessons from my 5-year-old sisters, and look forward to what learning and growth is in store.
Love you, girleenies!!!
Love,
Mom
Mom

7 comments:
Ahh, twin sisters. What lucky girls to have each other! They are so fun. Thanks for coming to the play tonight and for hanging out with us! Come swimming soon!
what a sweet post. your girls are so cute, and so lucky to have you as their amazing mother. we sure do love them (and you!).
I don't know why this made me cry. But it did. You are so special Amy, and so are your kids. Hug them tight from me!
I sure love them. I miss them. It seems like it's been a long time since I've just had a chance to sit and talk with Beckah or sit and giggle with Abby. You have such an awesome family.
Your words are so true. I need to take good notes an the tantrums now so that I can reference what works and what doesn't in those teenage years. You can bet I'll be relying on you a lot for your wisdom then too.
And, though the girls sure came intact with their own way of doing things, you two can be credited with helping them become the lovable/loving girls that they are.
Just one more thought--I do love having sisters. It is such a blessing, and I realize that now more than ever. I can't imagine my life without them. Their actions influenced my decisions in many ways. I learned from them and with them. I still am, I guess; from all of my sisters...adopted and biological. ;)
And I am so blessed to have sisters now--gained through marriage. It is a wonderful part of my life to have wonderful relationships with you ladies. :)
:) love you guys! you are so much of the joy in my life!
Post a Comment