The trip: Pioneer Bowl in Las Vegas to see the BYU Cougars
Michael was not originally scheduled to come along on the trip. It was a bit spur-of-the-moment and coordinated with both my brothers and Paul's to create one suburban full of wild-eyed Cougar fans. Even our New Mexican, Oregon Duck, and New York Hipster brothers were in town to make the trek.
The Y-mobile before its departure.

I took the kids with me in another car to meet up with some of the guys and to say goodbye. Michael quickly realized the fun that would be had, and reconsidered his decision to stay home for he school Christmas festivities. Daddy was a softy and couldn't deny his little man with a big Cougar heart of blue. So he joined all the uncles on both sides of the family (minus one) with nothing but the clothes on his back and his booster seat.
Here they are... bunch of rascals. I love them all...

From all reports, there has never been a happier boy. And Paul thoroughly enjoyed having his son there to bask in the fun and glory.

They rushed the field after the win and got up close to some of the players... a highlight for Michael.

An autographed program...

Uncle Farcles got a little too close...

The Frandsen men...

I was not extremely ecstatic about Paul taking off for a few days right before Christmas when there was so very much to be done... but for the record I must say I am glad the men folk took this trip.
I must also say I'm glad I wasn't around all that testosterone and boy whatever-ness on the drive to and from Las Vegas. 18 years of living in a house with 5 younger brothers was enough, thank you very much.
But I ALSO must say that I am so happy Michael could be around the influence of his uncles and spend time with them. Thanks to all of you for loving him and giving him good memories. A special thanks to AJ who is the only other person who can keep up with his NCAA football trivia questions (and who let him wear his coat at the game...), to Stevie who stayed with him to put him to bed (a.k.a. let him jump on the hotel beds for an hour) while the others went to a movie, and to the rest of the brothers for keeping the ribald activities in-check so as to not contaminate my impressionable six-year-old son.
My brothers (in-laws included) are the best!! Love ya'll!!

6 comments:
Go BYU! And, Go Michael!
Ahh. Twas a great trip indeed. Us Risenmays had a great time with you, Michael and your brothers. BYU bowl games will never be the same without a Frandsen-Risenmay tailgate!
You summed up the trip very well, but I'm surprised to see no mention the 'Gravel Bowl' that produced most of trip's ribaldry.
Though it was a tough decision for you to make, I'm glad Michael got to come along. He was able to spend valuable time with a group of uncles that truly love and care for him.
Awesome. We definitely need to take another (like Pittsburgh but with Mom and Hannah) girls' trip to make memories that will rival those they continue recalling! :)
Agreed Melinda. We definitely need to start making plans for our next girls trip!
thank you aj. it was definitely a great time!
i would like to say, for the record, that i was the best football player in the Gravel Bowl...
Post a Comment