Sometimes it seems like a pretty looooong and drawn out process. It is nothing out of the norm for many families. But it is quite the task at times. Sometimes it is crazy. Sometimes it is draining. Most of the time I am happy to finally have a quiet house. But it is also some of the most meaningful time we all spend together. And most of the time, I also walk down the stairs with sweet things to think about from the things they did or said during our night time routine.

Because this blog is also a journal for me, I just want to write a few from tonight that are still fresh on my mind.
Bekah spontaneously told Michael: "I love you more than all the snowflakes." Michael told her, "I love you more than all the stars and all the cars and all the people on the earth." Abby inturrupted, "I love you more than all the blankets."
Michael said the sweetest prayer--very expressive, and very genuine. "We are so, so, so, so, so, so grateful for our Savior, Jesus Christ and that he was born. And we are very, very, very thankful that he did the atonement for us."
During our "group hug," Bekah announced: "I just LOVE to hug my family!"

Today we saw the Nutcracker, and I asked Abby what her favorite part was. "The Sugar Plum Faiwy one and the girl one with the white pajamas was. They was my fwavwit."
I asked Bekah what her favorite part was: "Not the mouse king. He was NOT very nice and he was NOT my favorite."
And while I'm remembering it, Michael and I had a little exchange the other day that has been making me smile ever since. We were driving around BYU looking for a parking spot, going to a basketball game for a mommy-and-Michael night. I showed him the dorm where I lived when I was a freshman, then told him about the next apartment I lived in when I met Paul, and that my next apartment was after I was married to him.
Michael said: "Well I'm just really glad you met dad. Because he's a really great dad, and I really like him as my dad. And you're a really great mom and I just like you as my mom. And it's a good thing you're together, and I'm really glad that you and dad got married so that I can have you as my mom and dad, because I don't think there are any better moms and dads for me besides you guys."
I'm really glad we got together too, Michael. Because he IS a really great dad. And you are a really great son. And you have wonderfully great sisters. And I love you all more than all the snowflakes, and all the stars and all the cars and all the people and all the blankets... and all the sweet things you all say.

16 comments:
so sweet. you're such a wonderful mom--as expressed by your six year old. I too love the nighttime routine (although it's a little different with a one year old who doesn't say much yet). It's one of my very favorite times of day, and I'm glad to hear it has stayed that way for you (mostly :) ). I can't wait to see those cute little kiddos. only ten more days!
Cute sayings! I'm so glad you wrote them down. It's always fun to go back and read them later. And isn't it funny how the bedtime routine can be such a juxtaposition? Cute, cute kids.
So sweet, Amy. I definitely feel like my kids are teaching me just as much or more than I'm teaching them. They are full of so much love and wisdom that it is almost overwhelming sometimes to think that I'm their mother! Michael is right - he has a great mom and dad and I'm glad you got together too! So sad I missed out on catching up the other night - we'll do it again soon I hope!!!
You have the sweetest family! I bet you will be so glad in weeks and months to come that you wrote that down. Remember them when life gets exhausting!
Your children's comments remind me of the book, "Guess How Much I Love You." "I love you right up to the moon and back...."
Your children will love reading these cute sayings when they're older. What a perfect evening you had. Since you wrote about it, Paul can enjoy too.
How was the game? I forgot to ask you or Michael?
Awwww! So sweet. As a mom who almost always does the bedtime routine by myself as well, I agree that it can be exhausting. And so tyrannical, because it absolutely MUST happen every night. But yes, often very sweet and the rituals are so comforting to the kids. We finally have a slightly more manageable routine in place than we have for many many months. We now brush teeth at the kitchen sink immediately after dinner, instead of trying to heard everyone down to the bathroom and then herd them back to the bedroom. Works for us!
Oh my goodness! Priceless!!!
Oh, and I am so glad that you are Michael's mom too!
So sweet. Thanks for sharing their thoughts on the blog. I concur with your kids--you guys are amazing parents and I'm so glad you got together. :)
Amy,
I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed this post. Sometimes it is so hard to be alone at night doing the evening routine by myself. But after reading your post, I realized that I am able to share special moments at night with Eliana that Lee is not able to see because he is at work. Thank you again for the wonderful post because it was very encouraging.
~Jacquelyn Maas
So fun to take a few minutes and catch up. Glad you are doing well.
Wow, Michael is just great. Not all kids are capable of expressing their feelings at that age, but you and Paul lucked out. What a little sweetie!
I'm glad you married Paul too. If not, I would have never seen Stephen's sensational beard over the winter break! That beard is a beacon of manliness.
Hi Amy or Paul,
I'm out in Ventura and I met an old friend of Paul's dad. I thought I could maybe drop him a quick email to pass the news along. Could you send Saysha or myself his email? Lovin' Cali by the way!
Nate
aj: stephen's beard was a highlight.
thanks for the muse! i have yet to download it, but i will...
nate: i sent saysha the info. good luck with your interviews...!
Post a Comment