Do I really want to do it?
Do I actually need to do it??
What will be the benefit if I do???
What detriment will I see if I don't????
And I was talking to my friend Missy about it when she just said outright: "Sometimes, I've just gotta pick my noes, you know?"
Noes... the plural of NO, that is.

Of course, it does depend on who you talk to. A Google search brought up a variety of possibilities. Most writers agreed on 'noes.' But there is also no's or nos or 'no's or "no"s... there really seems to be quite a bit of dissent.
No matter. We did laugh when we realized what she said.
But seriously, it is one of those things I have to constantly assess. Am I doing too much? Am I doing enough? Am I doing the right things? Am I doing enough of the most important things?
With four small children who thrive on and depend on my attention, and a very busy husband who deserves some good attention, too... even though there is not much that is officially "scheduled"... I often feel overbooked. Paul helped me to see a long time ago (soon after we had the twins) that just being an attentive, loving mom can be all-consuming. And most days, it is.
And that's okay.
There will be time for the special projects I dream about, the book clubs, the family history waiting in the closet, the spotless house I crave, girl's nights out, and all the the varied good intentions I have. Sanity "time out"?... that's different. Paul has been spectacular with taking over the reins so that I can go and do and enjoy. But you know... I always want to come back to feel needed and loved in the way that only my family needs and loves. There is nothing more fulfilling to me than to nurture in ways that only I can.
So for now, I'll keep picking my noes. And I'm not even ashamed to do it.

10 comments:
sick...
Hang in there, Bombers.
Amen, Amy. It is really hard to breathe if we don't pick (or I prefer to blow) our noes! :) ha ha And, breathing is very important for moms!!! Hope your house is working out?!?
We feel like it takes a whole weekend to remediate the accumulated chaos of the week, and we have less to manage. You are a trooper, and are loved and needed all the more for your efforts.
Great phrase to sum up the difficult battles of a busy mom...you are such a great one. And--you didn't need to send us anything! We haven't received the mystery package yet, but we will be looking forward to it. Thank you already for giving us little things to look forward to while we wait...
You can't be TOO busy if you had time to make the strangest blog I have ever seen. First I read about obsessive-compulsive teeth brushing, and now this. I just don't want to know about what you do with it once you...
Amy - that was a great post... I always enjoy hopping over to the Cali Residents blog to see what is happening in the home... You always give a fresh outlook on life, parenting, etc!!!
I went to school with Paul!!! and I love hearing your stories about your twin girls, as I am a twin myself....
I'm glad you said 'yes' at the most important time in your life!
Amy, I hear ya. Just today in RS they were asking for volunteers to babysit so others could go to the Temple dedication. I started to raise my hand but then remembered my last unfortunate babysitting experience on Friday and decided I just needed to say no this time. There is a time to help others out, and a time to just be the mom to your own kids. I felt a little guilty, but it's only fair to my own 5 little ones, let alone the other children who may need extra attention that someone else could better give at that moment. It's ok to say no sometimes. We know you'd say yes if it was really needed. But wouldn't we love to do it all. But when you come to Utah, we WILL have to schedule a GNO!:)
That is just the thing, isn't it Jill? There WILL be a time for YES again. But right now, saying YES to my kiddos and husband is the "best" of the "goods" and "betters"...
Post a Comment