Monday, April 21, 2008

Some Springtime Fun...

Just wanted to play a little catch-up with some of the fun things we've enjoyed in our little town lately. Springtime has been here since mid-March, and it is my favorite season here, I think. Never too hot, and (as always) clear skies. The orange blossoms are my favorite... and if this blog had a smell-a-vision capabilities, you'd be getting a good whiff of what I smell whenever I open my windows right now... divine!

At the beginning of April, we enjoyed the Daffodil Garden up in the mountains. The "Daffodil Lady," as she is named, has been planting daffodils each and every year for... ever is what they say. Her grounds display around 20 different kinds of daffodils, and it was a fun family night for us, roaming around the mountain hills and enjoying the flowers.

Michael and Paul in front of a display of the different types of daffodils



Cute Bekah



Another weekend, we went to the a children's symphony event put on by our town's symphony. It really was a fun, relaxed environment that was so comfortable for kids. After the concert (which was really very good), they had an instrument "petting zoo" where they brought out instruments of every kind and let the kids look, touch, feel, and try them out on their own. It was a lot of fun. Michael really got into it.

Trying out a French horn:



He really got into the xylophone, because they explained it in the concert as looking and sounding like "dinosaur bones."



They had a set of drums out, which stole Michael's interest right away. He waited in a long line to take a turn. I thought he would be a little timid (like most of the other kids), but he got right up and tried each piece. He now listens for the different parts of the drum set in songs.



They also had a multicultural festival going on at the university. Paul helped Michael learn a little about lacrosse. He made three goals on his own (Michael, that is...)!



And, as Paul documented, we finally made our season debut at the beach! It was a really fun day, and we're anxious to get back. It was a bit chilly, but very enjoyable in the sun.



Here is a video of the girls' first introduction to the shoreline this season. Don't miss the cute look on Abby's face at the very end as she feels her first little wave of seawater.



Daddy time is a pretty special time for the kids. They just love him and he really enjoys them. Here is a video he took of them doing "If You're Happy And You Know It." Notice that Abby has her dress-up gown backwards and inside out... which is classic Abby right now.



So now that Springtime is making its way across the country... what have been some of your favorites??

15 comments:

Rob and Kelli said...

Looks like our families enjoy the same kind of activities. I guess our coastal residence makes that possible. Glad to see you guys are having a great time!!!

petey said...

i like the new banner picture.
i wish we had a closer beach out here.

Jenni Coberly said...

What fun activities!! I too love spring. We are just getting a taste of it now. Before we know it, it will be summer.

Christene said...

You guys make me happy. Thanks for the constant "lifts".

We need to have a beach day soon...

Christene said...

BTW - I think they need to put Paul in Primary - music leader or sunbeam teacher. Too cute.

Joe and Amy said...

I remember reading about that Daffodil Garden in a book many years ago. I didn't realize it was located in California. What a wonderful place to visit!

Amy F said...

No kidding... you read about the daffodil garden?? They call her the Daffodil Lady.

The gardens are up in the Running Springs area that was burned so badly in the fires last year... I guess she has rebuilt her house 3 different times now because of fires.

And Christine... Paul IS now in primary. He is a new teacher of our 11 year olds! I love hearing him sing during singing time!

Joe and Amy said...

A friend from Academy for Girls gave it to me one summer while we were counselors together, because she used the story in one of her talks.

It's in the book, "Celebration" by Jaroldeen Asplund Edwards.

She has a chapter in the book devoted to "The Daffodil Principle." Here is a link to that particular chapter...it's a quick read http://lifebydesignsite.com/blog/the-daffodil-principle-by-jaroldeen-asplund-edwards
I have no clue how to make a shortcut to the link, sorry :(

Thanks for reminding me of this cool story, I haven't thought about it in a long time.

Heather said...

I love to go to the Puget Sound but, since it's always raining we will keep on waiting... I can't wait to go to the tulip festival this weekend if the weather lets us!!
Amy you look so cute with your prego belly!!! :)

Jill T said...

Heather, teach me who you are? I'm Jill, Paul's cousin. I've seen your comments on BrookeO's blog. How do you know Paul/Amy/Brooke? Just curious. :) Nice to "meet" you!

Heather said...

Jill,
My husband & Paul went to the philippines together. I met Amy at their reunion.. then what do you know they went to Med school together!! [Such a great family!]

I have never actually met Brooke in person but, saw her blog through a friend of mine & I LOVE her cooking ideas & her awesome magazine. I guess you could say we became cyber-friends!! She is just a genuine person!! :)
Nice to "meet" you too!!! ;)

paul said...

kelli: how often are you able to get to the beach and how close are you? the beach is not quite as relaxing with kids but still fun huh?

jenni: spring is chilly there for you?

petey: you could move out here?

christene: when are you coming back to CA? we should definitely go to the beach...

the daffodil garden was quite the production for a private residence and for one person to bring off. the time spent must occupy an amazing amount of time. looking at the gardens in that light made them more impressive. otherwise, it is not as impressive as many other botanical gardens.

heather: how far is the puget sound from where you are?

jill: you must also know that heather and her husband were high school sweethearts. what school did you two go to? woods cross or somewhere's up north? nate would show us picutres of heather at his concerts (nate was in some pretty sweet band or something.)

Christene said...

paul,

we are home. ready for a wild animal park trip or zoo or beach. Jan has saturdays off if you want to include him.

Amy F said...

Christine... we have some time off in May. We'll be in touch. We need a San Diego trip around here. But more importantly, we need to see ya'll.

Dad (TMF) said...

Is that a California version of If You're Happy? I always sang it, 'Your face will surely show it.' And, the girls' faces surely showed it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails