Sunday, April 13, 2008

random acts of violence...

beat with butt of a gun by four men of a different race in his home...

knocked unconscious and kicked, while down, by a co-worker before work began...

random acts by ruthless perpetrators? planned retaliation for 'victims' prior actions? discouraging examples of men's hearts gone cold? acts that have been enacted in different ways in different eras throughout humanity's existence..?

both recipients of the violence were people i saw in one day as patients. i got to thinking about the cases after seeing this footage of the 8 teenagers beating their classmate in florida.

there have been unprovoked acts of violence throughout time. certainly some societies have been more ruthless than others. what does its presence signify?

in thinking about these specific acts, it is an easy out to say that the violence was probably gang or drug related. it's an easy out and makes one feel better to think that the violence is a part of a world that doesn't touch me. a world that people choose to become a part of... there is truth to the idea that choosing to take part in illegal activity may lead to unintended consequences. however, the discouraging part of the equation is the myriad children born into these circumstances...living within earshot of similar acts and in 'harms way'. fear, providence, faith and hopelessness would take on new significance in this type of society.

i'm probably on the outside looking in here, but the view is disturbing...

posted by paul--not amy :)

7 comments:

Dad (TMF) said...

First. Will read later. Dad

Dad (TMF) said...

Now that I was first, I wish I were last. But, I was glad I was with Hannah this weekend and got to see first hand how love and support brings out the best in people. We need to have positive areas of love and support that can give meaning to all people everywhere. Unfortunately, gangs and drugs are counterfeit areas of support and love that do not satisfy but leave one hungry after dreaming of coming to the table.

Jill T said...

I thought this was a G rated blog...

paul said...

sorry to disappoint jill...

Stephen said...

hello mr. durden

Johnny and Angela Dayton said...

I am seeing the same thing in my program. Some of the most bizarre lately have been seeing a group of teenagers who all came into the ED with buckshot wounds, gang-related shootings, and knife-related "work" injuries.

paul said...

welcome johnny:)

pretty crazy stuff huh? there are some war-zones in america and it is disheartening...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails