Sunday, April 06, 2008

osc and the first lady...

finally an article by osc that the nyc hipsters will love...

incidentally, this may the first time someone has written something intelligent about the obamas that i can get behind...and who else to write it but orson...

17 comments:

petey said...

paul.
i will read the article now.
but i can tell you this.
i'm already turned off, b/c of your obtuse bias.
especially since it is common knowledge you will be voting for obama next fall. and you have yet to refute that assertion.

now i'm off to give that article a truly objective read as i ignore its silly intro.

petey said...

okay. i'm back.
thoughts:
rev wright sectioned mirrored similar point on the discussion discussion we previous had. if only stevey and i could post our thoughts under the pseudonym osc, paul would agree with us without a stitch, cause we three said essentially the same things. but he agreed with one and debated to the death with two.

while osc makes interesting points in the michelle v. hillary section of his opinion piece, he's hard to takes seriously b/c in his former section he makes the argument that liking hillary is worse the racism and bigotry. (yes, tongue and cheek, but still shows his strong disdain for hillary, thus weakening any attempt to be objective) without personally reading the two senior these we can only take his word, which, as aforementioned, his subjective word, isn't that reliable.

libby said...

Paul and Petey, I too found the article interesting, but refuse to get into a debate with you... mostly because I know I couldn't hold my own... :) Just wanted you to know I try to keep myself informed.

paul said...

the difference libby, is that peter thinks he holds his own...

petey said...

classic paul = don't respond to the actual debate. just make ad hominem attacks...

paul said...

and libby, peter thinks he knows what ad hominem means...

Gabrielle said...

I read it, and it sounded like typical Obama-worship to me.
OSC is right in that Wright is not running for president. He can certainly hold whatever opinions he wants to have.
But OSC's evaluation of Obama's loyalty to Wright as "refreshing" is pretty odd. Your family is your family, you can't choose them, and we have responsibilities to them. But we *choose* our friends. I have to question the judgement of someone who would *choose* Wright to be such a close personal friend. That kind of hatred and refusal to take responsibility is definitely enough for me, not to completely dump a person, of course not, but certainly enough for me not to have this person as my mentor, role-model, and surrogate grandfather to my children.
Even if Wright is a wonderfully upstanding guy as a friend, I *still* can't imagine taking my YOUNG CHILDREN to the church of someone who preaches his kind of stuff. I have some family members (on the in-law side) whom I love and would never disown. But I also will NOT let my children be exposed to some of the stuff that this person exudes. Especially children so young who cannot make the distinction between loving a person and hating his words.
I am still so incredibly repulsed by Obama's moral equivalency between Wright's vileness and his Grandmother's mild words.
I like OSC, but he's still a wrong-headed liberal! :-)
I also find his simplistic dismissal of anti-amnesty=racism to be intellectually dishonest.

paul said...

i agree with peter and gabrielle.

in peter's assessment, osc's distaste for hillary has clouded his ability to honestly assess obama. thus accounting for the clouding of his opening comments. he is too easy on obama regarding his relationship with wright (as gabrielle aptly points out.) it is a fault of the article. thank you for pointing that out peter.


gabrielle is also correct in pointing out that osc is a pretty committed mormon democrat. (an irony never lost on me when the nyc hipsters lambast his opinions...)

my more favorite part of the article was his analysis of the theses of two women at a less political time in their lives. surely, his assessment is clouded by his distate for hillary (just as stephen's assessment of romney is colored by his distate for the man), but i enjoyed hearing him speak of the intelligence (or lack thereof) displayed in the women's respective theses. i am generally in favor of a more logical approach to an ideological approach. it assuaged one small fear i have for the obama team. obama, with his staunchly liberal voting record and little to show for himself in the way of legislation or accomplishments, gained one in the plus column for what appears to have been a coherent, logical and reasonable thesis written by his wife.

it's not much peter, but it's something.

Stephen said...

dearest paul, you really are something else, aren't you? so many things to talk about and correct, but i'm afraid i don't have the energy. but i think you know where your faults are.

paul said...

thank you stevie...it's not surprising that you're speechless..:)

Allan said...

My wife, Val, was in high school when the “Negroes” were integrated into public schools (North Carolina). Her father immediately enrolled her into a private, white school.

Someone who is only 31 cannot understand the intensity of emotions a previous generation experienced when encountering the hate and injustice of racism. Good thing racism doesn't exist anymore.
Actually, my father-in-law still says things I cannot approve of, but I accept the time and environment he was raised in. I even allowed my children to be exposed to him. Was I wrong? They seemed to turn out okay.

A few words or actions (usually taken out of context) do not define the character of a person. I am proud that Obama didn't do the politically correct thing, and abandon a person who had a close relationship and positive influence on him.
I can’t imagine how fast Hillary would dump a personal friend who could possibly endanger her career.
And McCain? He doesn’t need to worry. All of his former pastors and influential friends are probably dead.

Do any of you see the irony of Republicans upset about racism?

Stephen said...

allan, perfectly said. i agree 100%.

petey said...

mccain has/had friends?

i thought that why he's always saying, "my friends," cause he's desperate to have any... at all.

paul said...

mccain certainly made the best showing of the three on american idol thursday night...

Dad (TMF) said...

Let's vote a president in like AI. Paul can be Simon, Pete and Stephen can argue who gets to be the other two!

Dad (TMF) said...

Let's vote a president in like AI. Paul can be Simon; Pete and Stephen can argue who gets to be the other two!

paul said...

i like how you think pops! very fitting. i know who peter should be...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails