Friday, April 04, 2008

4 hours in SLC...

A little documentation of Michael and his mom's Temple Square Adventure:


Michael and I were all packed and ready to go to Kentucky. Mom F. and the girls took us to the airport and dropped us off with plenty of time to make our 1pm flight. However, when I checked in, I was informed that our flight had been delayed and that we would miss our connection to KY.The attendant was nice enough to rearrange things so that we would have a direct flight later that day...

...um, 5 hours later.

Mom F didn't have her phone.

So with 4 hours to kill until we had to be back at the airport, I quickly remembered the advertisements for a free tour shuttle that goes to Temple Square. We found out where the shuttle comes (every hour on the hour... and it was 11:45) and decided to have a little adventure in Salt Lake City.

Michael was pumped about it. I talked the missionary couple who drove the shuttle tour into letting us go around on our own (instead of taking the official "tour") for lunch and sight-seeing.

After pizza at the food court across the street from Temple Square, we wandered around the grounds. Most interesting attractions for the boy?? The statues and the fountains! He went around feeling the water in each one, telling me if whether the water was warm, chilly, cold, or freezing.


Most were chilly or cold.


He was amazed with the Tabernacle, and of course the temple. I loved telling him about all the special things we were seeing, and many memories associated with the Square.



Here he is, posing "like the temple."


The whole time, we talked about what a great adventure we were having together... and how we were glad out plane plans had to change...


I wanted to be sure he got to see the Conference Center, since General Conference was just around the corner. He loved it...


Being so into letters and numbers, he loved that each row had a letter and each chair had a number... fascinating.


This water was "a little warmer than the chilly ones outside..."


He really got into the art/statues there, and it was fun to talk about them with him. Time passed quickly there, and we had to rush toward the end... but we had to go to the top, of course!


When I asked him what he liked the best, he said it was being able to go to the "very tippy top where there are trees and gardens and stuff."

Our adventure had to end too quickly, and we had to rush back to the meeting point to meet our shuttle at 3:30. We got back to the airport with plenty of time to check in and watch a few planes come and go.

All in all, I'm quite glad we had the little delay in our flight plans. We both really enjoyed our Temple Square Adventure. So if you're ever stuck at the SLC airport and don't know what to do with an hour +... the Temple Square tour shuttle leaves every hour on the hour from the far north end of Terminal 2.

6 comments:

Dad (TMF) said...

first!

Dad (TMF) said...

Somehow during the recounting of the Kentucky Thoroughbreds and the Influenza, I didn't hear of this adventure. We get so used to seeing things around us, we don't see them through the eyes of youth for the very first time. It is a gorgeous and memorable place.

Jill T said...

What a fun mommy/michael date. I'm glad you could make the most of it.

buchanancasa said...

How cool that you get this one-on-one time with your little man. Call if you're ever in town for enough time to stop by! Your little family is so beautiful.

Joe and Amy said...

What a great adventure and a very smart idea! However, I couldn't help but think of that time Paul missed the shuttle back to the Atlanta airport. :)

We ran into Paul's mom while in Spanish Fork. It's so fun to bump into her once in a while. She is such a delightful person.

paul said...

thanks for reminding me of that memory. being in atlanta at midnight with wall-to-wall people during the summer olympics was very cool and something i've never forgotten...

well worth the scolding i received later from jd:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails