On the 23rd, we would go to the extended Frandsen family party where there would be a talent show...

This year we even made our own contribution by singing "Christmas Star."

The NYHipsters corralling the girls before the infamous "great debate."

On Christmas Eve, people would be going to and fro doing the last-minute (procrastinated) shopping.
Dad Frandsen would plan a surprise activity... and there would surely be some caroling (or singing... whatever you want to call it). I'm sad we don't have some kind of recording of the service "singing" we did for our activity. Visiting widows and widowers--especially the widower who had lost his beloved wife that very morning--touched my heart and will always be a tender Christmas memory for me. And music is such a unique and personal gift when given from the heart.
Mom Frandsen would create a wonderful atmosphere and clam chowder dinner. Mmmm... love that stuff...
The girls occupied themselves in the following ways while preparations were wrapping up...
Abby was attached to this snowball for a good 20 minutes... red fingers and all.

Bekah and Abby loved the dog Hobbes. Here they are caught in the middle of one of their many attempts to climb the gate to his "room." Many attempts were successful...

This blur is Abby jumping off the coffee table into the arms of a loving uncle. The scene was replayed countless times as both Abby and Bekah charmed their way into having people catch them each time (uh, almost each time...) they jumped.

After a delicious dinner, we would gather in the living room to open two presents...
Who would have guessed they would be a book...

... and pajamas?? The "Club Frandsen" shirts were such a cute idea. A shout-out to the latest member: The Deej. (Although I guess Bruiser made the shirt as well! I was just relieved Hobbes didn't occupy one of the precious spots...)

We needed a picture, of course.

Then we would recreate the nativity story, trying not to be too irreverent.

Paul and I were sheep with the girls.
DJ was such a cute angel with Michael.

The astonished couple. (Perhaps this is how their faces looked when they found out they were accepted to the U of Utah's School of Medicine! Congrats again!)

And of course, we needed another picture.

We constructed a snack for Santa and hung the stockings with care...

Then off to bed for kiddos.
It is so fun to create memories together. What a fun Christmas Eve.

16 comments:
was my comment (as paul f) appropriate here?
I especially enjoyed this blog. Grandma Frandsen told me the other day how they were enjoying the frozen meals. Love, Uncle Ron
Paul, I didn't see your comment on the page... Did you comment on the Romney delegate article? Maybe it has to go through an approval first...
Amy,
I loved your recap of Christmas! The many traditions of our family is something I would love to pass on to my kids. I love the bonds traditions create (the righteous ones), and the feeling of familiarity they bring.
What a fun post. I love the formal and informal traditions of the Frandsen family. I certainly look forward to them.
What traditions do you have with your little family? Jonny and I have been thinking about that lately and are up for some great ideas...
GREAT pictures! Great recap. I love the club frandsen t's and the pic of Jonny and Mel as Joseph and Mary is so cute. And I agree that ALWAYS having the party on the 23rd is so helpful in planning the months events. If only we could get ALL of our families on both sides, to commit to certain dates...
What fun traditions. Looks like you had a wonderful Christmas!
Amy, random question, did you take voice lessons? Choir? Or are you just a naturally talented singer?
Melinda... Your question about our Christmas traditions is a good one, since I still feel that we are finding our way through what to do as Michael and the girls get older. Most of our festivities and traditions have overlapped with our families, as we have yet to have a full Christmas holiday "on our own." Aside from the usual FHEs about the Christmas story, Christmas parties, and gift making/readying/delivering we do with the kiddos, some of the things we have done...
Wrap Christmas books and unwrap one to read each day.
Take "detours" during night time every chance we get to find Christmas lights.
Having Michael help put up the ornaments, telling memories/stories behind meaningful ornaments.
12 days of Christmas--this year I found a set of 12 nativity ornaments. We gave our special someone a mini Christmas tree, then gave them an ornament each night with a part of a poem that went through the nativity. Left it as a surprise on the doorstep each night. Michael really got into it... really fun.
I loved reading some of the Christmas classic stories (frosty the snowman, Rudolph, et.) then watching the cartoon movies that went with them.
I loved Jill's elf visitor, who stayed through the holiday and left little presents for the kiddos. Gonna try that one next year.
I think we'll be keeping many of our families' traditions as well. Perhaps even do a little caroling?? Who even knows?
I can't wait to see how our traditions form as the kiddos get older. One thing is for sure... Christmas gets more and more fun each year. This is the first year I felt that Michael really, really grasped everything about the holidays.
Perhaps next year I'll do a post to gather input on good Christmas ideas. Jill... your bloggers might have some great ideas, too!
And Jill... I had a lesson or two when I was preparing for a musical try-out. I always wished I could have done more. Otherwise, I just enjoy singing and try to keep up with the rest!
I wish I could sight read better and knew good technique. Perhaps it is one of those talents I can develop... one of these days. For now, I'll just enjoy the expertise of others!
Great post, Amy. Traditions truly do bind families together. I am grateful for traditions on both sides of my family...double the fun.
How fun!
Traditions are the best! They are the biggest pull for us to move back to Utah.....someday.....maybe. This year we decided our family was too big and too busy to travel for Christmas...but I think you've proved us wrong!
I love the recreation of the nativity without being "too irreverent"...that is Joseph's mom's wish every year....but having 28 grandchildren (and the children at heart) putting it on....is, well...an attempt. :)
I love that the extended family still get's together, wow, that's impressive!
The t-shirts still have to be my favorite! Thanks for sharing!
Loved the post! It is fun to see other traditions. Trying to not be irreverent during the nativity is a real problem in the Eric and Sarah family - especially with Jan and Sam! :) We actually have taken it out of our Christmas Eve altogether until they can grow up a little more. (Maybe when they are 50 ... or not.) This year we had an elder read it to us while another elder played the piano and Eric played the guitar. It was nice.
Glad you had such a great holiday and are home safe and in one piece! Miss you guys!
Christine... that sounds like a nice Christmas night. I love having music be a big part of the holidays. I remember always sitting around singing the Christmas songs with my family... fun times. Simple and sweet.
Are you guys "home" in Rexburg safe and sound yet?? Miss you too!
Ah, yes. Caroling will live forever in the hearts of the children. When you give of yourself, the people to whom you give never forget it.
and when you give willingly, greater is the blessing.
Post a Comment