Michael was a T-rex... here is the first-time try-on when it came in the mail. He loved it!... and I was happy to have talked him out of being an ankylosaurus or coelophysis.
Michael the T-Rex.

After much unsuccesful searching for some elements for my hoped for costumes for the girls, I dug in their closet to find that their costumes from last year still fit! Saved me much time and $ to use them again... and they were actually into it this year.
Bekah the inchworm.

Abby the inchworm.

Here is a video of our try-on night. They were all diggin' the costume thing...
Between then and Halloween night, Michael got to wear his costume to five different parties... it was a busy week! Here are some (not so good) random pictures...
Chasing Matt Hill...

With friend Caleb Rowley (their home is okay, by the way)...

Fun times sharing a trampoline...

Making spider cupcakes for preschool class...

Paul and I even gave into a "costumes required" party. Paul was Harry Potter, which was not a far stretch since people say he looks like Harry Potter all the time anyway (AND we actually found another use for his medical school graduation gown!).

I was Moaning Myrtle...

... and thought it wise to label myself since I didn't just want to be a generic toilet seat... woman... or something. Not many people were altogether into Harry Potter anyway... so I guess I was still kind of a generic toilet seat woman. Oh, well...

On Halloween night, we went to a Halloween extravaganza put on my an evangelical church in the area. It was truly an extravaganza complete with magic show, bounce houses, game booths, face painting, candy galore, etc. etc. etc. Michael and Bekah were diggin' the bounce house... Abby wasn't too sure. It was quite the celebration, and I hope we'll go again next year!
We came back home to trick-or-treat to a few well-known neighbors.


And in closing, a Halloween dance for you (sorry its so dark, but they are sweet ghostbustin' moves)...
Now we have the candy to work through! Hope you had a good Halloween, too! What was your favorite part??

16 comments:
fun times. amy, i think your costume is clever!
in the 1st clip, zach was watching with me and he said, "mommy, you're sitting in little michael's house!" i guess even my own son thinks we look alike!
My favorite part of Halloween was going to our ward trunk or treat and seeing everyone's creative costumes!
I too think your costume is very clever Amy...
I have decided I am going to write down my favorite costume ideas and stash the list away until next Halloween and then when I think "what am I going to be this year?" I will have some great ideas!
Oh, so cute! Amy you are so much better looking than the real Moaning Myrtle.
I was enjoying the Halloween costumes, and then, I am completely speechless, Amy. And Frandseypants, I am glad that you dressed like Harry, and not Dumbledorf. There are rumors....
Yea for the Halloween pics! I am sorry to say I did not take ANY of my children. I used a previous costume for Claire, and Garrett and Kaile wanted to wear stuff out of their dress up - who am I to argue?
Love Michael's dinosaur - Garrett is going to flip!
I have to agree - loved the adult costumes. And moaning myrtle was exceptionally brilliant. I may call you the next time I need an idea!
Thanks, everyone, for helping me feel better about my costume! Having a toilet lid to my back for a night did wonders for my posture! But it was hard to eat with the rim in the way... I had to keep wiping off the dribbles. And the girls really didn't know what to think.
So here's the question.... what do you guys do with all the candy? Binge on it that night? next few days?? week??? Do you pick out your favorites and toss the rest? Do you toss it all? One of my friends picks out candies for their Christmas gingerbread houses and tosses the rest. Her kids know that Halloween candy is for Christmas gingerbread houses. Now that's thinking ahead (but her kiddos are only 2 1/2... just wait until they have her figured out!).
i would proudly impersonate dumbledore...
I vote for a candy binge. Heck, they are only kids once, and a yearly week of cotinuous hyperglycemia is not going to ruin their health for the rest of their lives. I think sometimes new parents may get a little worked up trying to be perfect parents.
But then, you may have had more generous neighbors than we had.
Also when I was a kid, we didn't think twice about accepting homemade caramel popcorn balls. And apples didn't have razor blades in them (has that ever really happened)?
I think candy binge is fine and all, HOWEVER, we had several Halloween Parties which means lots of days with lots of candy. And Kate has proven in the past that if she eats too much candy, she throws it all up. Sooo, I limited their candy intake to 3 a day plus more if they were extra helpful or obedient.
On Halloween night, they got a few more but they'd been eating candy all week, so I don't feel like I deprived them of anything. Since then, they get a piece of candy after each meal and again if they're extra helpful or obedient.
In the meantime, Steven and I are chowing down on our favorites. Maybe I should put a limit on OUR intake! In the end, we usually throw away the lingering sweet tarts and smarties. Although I do have to say, those came in handy the year I potty trained. One smarty for #1 and 2 smarties for #2!
that's fun jill. somehow we settled on the number four. since the candy haul, michael has been allowed four pieces of candy a day and more if he is extra helpful. it is fun to watch him open the candy so deliberately and savor it.
paul: don't you mean you would flamboyantly (sp?) dress like dumbledore? and i think you have cute kids. make sure the girls know who i am when i come and visit.
i stand my decision to dress 'proudly'...it's a 'pride' thing after-all right?
Looks like fun! Michael has some sweet moves.
We've settled on the number 2 as far as the candy goes. Somehow Abby always gets away with three or four. When we call her on it she says, "Don't talk to me like that!"
The video of the girls in the post above are so cute. It makes me wish I had twins....well for atleast a couple of hours a day. :)
All the costumes are a lot of fun! It is crazy to me how busy Halloween seems to be. I just know that when it gets to be Halloween that the next couple of months are a whirlwind!!
I agree that your Moaning Myrtle costume was great. It was fun to see your picture on your blog. Your blog is like mine and there are never too many pictures of mom!!
I really don't have a system with the candy. As you saw on my blog there was a ton of it. I sorted it into gallon size baggies and put in the top of my pantry. They are always able to eat as much as they want on Halloween, but then they can ask when they want more. I don't seem to get asked too much anymore. They kind of forget about it.
when i was younger i would hide my candy away in a pillowcase in the closet of my room. at some point i would forget it was there. there were a couple years where i pulled out my pillowcase to go trick-or-treating and it had candy from the previous year...
Yes, the candy has been forgotten about here. Tonight I'll be picking out the favorites... and perhaps saving a few for gingerbread houses???
I'm kind of sad Halloween is over. It really was so fun. But over it is. I'm surprised Michael hasn't even tried to wear his costume since. I guess those whirlwind party days were enough for him. I guess that's a good thing...
Now we are really looking forward to Thanksgiving!! Our beloved NYC hipster Stephen decided first to come to CA for the holiday... followed soon after by Mom F ("Well if he's coming, then I'm coming!"), with Hannah and Lafe... and we are so glad Dad F squeezed us in as well--at the cost of his BYU/Utah football tickets. The sacrifices made for family are sometimes painful... but we guarantee a (warm) game day showing in our living room. Complete with live "rah... rah... rah, rah rah"s from two silly sisters. The Cougar Stadium can't beat that!
Post a Comment