Friday, November 09, 2007

Michael's Primary Teachers...

Here are Michael's primary teachers--Mossi and Sharlene Watene.


Very cute, newley-wed couple. They began as his "Moonbeams" teachers last October (a class our primary does to transitions nursery kiddos from nursery to primary), and moved up with the 10--yes, 10--Sunbeams to primary. Along with displaying patience, long-suffering, and never failing charity as the Sunbeam teachers, they have been energetic, encouraging, and SO FUN!

Not only do his primary teachers provide Michael with a warm, fun, and spiritual environment at church... Brother Watene has provided him with a "claim to fame."

Brother Watene---Sunbeam teacher on Sunday... and voice superstar through the week. Check him out as the voice of Brodie on Nick Jr.'s new show, "Yo Gabba Gabba."



So we've only watched one episode. The girls loved it, and so did Michael. Reading about it on the internet, parents are reacting to it a lot like they did with Barney... they either love it or hate it. It seems that most kids would like it, unless they became biased by a nay-saying uncle, or something...

So I can thank Brother Watene (his myspace with voice reel and original music here, band I'kona here) for his happy service as Michael's teacher, showing Michael how to say "I love you, Mother" in sign language on Mother's Day, and teaching him to invite his veggies to the party in his tummy (so yummy!).

11 comments:

Amy F said...

A note: Mossi is only the voice... he says a small Japanese girl is the dancer under the green suit. :)

Allan said...

I'm sorry. I am one of those uncles. I could't watch the entire thing.

paul said...

oh, think again. that party in your tummy song grows on you. it's addictive. we can cure you of your dislike.

Jill T said...

Wow, I feel like I wrote that episode. Not the snazzy music, but we are always telling our kids to eat all of their food up to go to the dance party in their tummies. And when they don't we say "eat me, eat me" in that same high voice as the green guy. Crazy.

I have to say I enjoyed watching it more the 2nd time. The first time through I was kind of like, "huh?"

Does his voice sound like that all the time? Or just for the show. I bet Michael and the kids love him! Fun to know a tv star...

Amy F said...

He sounds nothing like that... and I have to say that not very many people in our ward know this part of his life. When they moved in, they just said he plays guitar and was looking for work. I found out about it because I overheard one of the young women in the ward talking about it.

But he and his wife are exceptionally engaging with the young kiddos. We love, love, love them in primary, and are sad we have a "one year rule" with primary teachers in the ward. Their time will be "up" in December.

Yes, parents will go into all kinds of imaginative tangents to try to get their kids to do things. The makers of these shows have caught on and know what parents will support. I now regularly suggest that Michael invite various food items to the party in his tummy... and even do a little song and dance for good measure. It is kind of catchy... don't you think Stevie??

Joe and Amy said...

Wow, the Redlands ward has talent!

Maybe you could get them to renew their contract? Does the church allow sign on bonuses?

Tringali Family said...

That video clip was hilarious! We were all singing the song for a long time after, in fact, it is still going through my head and it has been more than 24 hours since I watched it.

Melissa said...

I am interested in your 'moonbeams' program. I am looking for ways to help our older nursery transition to primary. What exactly is it?

Amy F said...

Melissa... this ward started moonbeams a couple of years ago. Last year, Michael did it, and I love the idea. The focus is to take the kiddos who will be transitioning in January to Primary/Sunbeams and slowly expose them to more structure/routine that mirrors what their upcoming experience will be.

Last year they started right after Conference (early October). This year we started after the primary program, late September.

First "phase" is to take them out of nursery for part of the time and start giving them a classroom experience. Last year they did it at the beginning of nursery time... they would come to the classroom instead of nursery. This year, we started mid-way through nursery and are working the lesson time to the second hour (which is what it will be in January). The lesson is the same lesson they are teaching in nursery... but customized more to their level. The time for the class starts at around 10 minutes and builds up gradually.

Second "phase" is to have the moonbeams start coming in with the junior primary for singing time, so that they start getting that experience. (We haven't started this yet this year...)

By the end of December the class time has been expanded and the schedule is fairly similar to what it will be in January.

I think the teachers are the key. I'm leaving a lot up to them and how they are reading the kids. In our ward they are called as nursery workers, but are released and re-called to the primary board to be the Sunbeam teachers in January. They transition with the kiddos.

In January, we encourage the Sunbeam teachers to have some kind of outside/walking around time during the lesson. Oh, we also have a gradual phasing out of the snack time.

It's really focused on gradual preparation, and I was really impressed with how well last year's class did. Michael ate it up, and really took his moonbeam title proudly/seriously. He felt like such a big kid when he was a Sunbeam. They made a big deal about the moonbeam class... complete with a banner, nametags, etc. so it felt really special. We've had great moonbeam/sunbeam teachers.

I pretty much told you everything... hope that helps!

Andy and Danielle said...

We've been watching Yo Gabba Gabba for a while now as Andy was Scott Schultz's home teacher in Brea.

He would send Andy home with the latest demo episode and talk about pitching the show to Disney or Nick Jr.

I'm so glad it was picked up! It is so fun! As far as I know it was filmed at my visiting teacher's house in Brea.

So what I'm saying is that several families in our ward were involved in bringing the show to pass and I have felt fame by association because I knew them when...

Amy F said...

Hi Danielle!

We just heard they were picked up for another season. So good things are happening for your friends...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails