the second round toppled the leaderboard. the deej and jonny bravely made their way to the top of the list riding the backs of unlv, pittsburgh and others.
a nice juxtaposition of the newly marrieds at the top.
matt continues to languish with michael near the bottom of the bracket, but don't count him out. this plucky new mexican will rise to ride another day.
michael is nevertheless undaunted and winning our household bracket by playing for his wins:
when the first round was completed...
the top two spots belonged to tracy and paul.

be not deceived however, the first round is more like trivia. the next round's picks are worth double the point and matt's bracket still has a lot of upside. poor michael however, is doomed. he picked with much regional and family loyalty (any team with oregon, new mexico or byu in the name advanced?) he was the only one in the bracket to pick well below the level of 50% chance...
the bottom two spots after the first round? michael and matt.


the tournament begins! you can get onto the family bracket to follow the scores in our group. there a bunch of cool features that let you check out your current standing and forecast who would win by choosing different teams to the championship game.
there are only three true fans who picked BYU to go all the way--dad, libby and michael.
there is only one member who picked BYU to lose in the first round...aj :( however, jonny has oregon advancing the furthest. that makes jonny the true duck :)
let the games begin!


34 comments:
my bracket looks the most like matt's. i hope they're not terminably terrible...
glad stevie got a bracket in at the last moment...
oh, and michael's bracket is the real deal. amy went through matchup and michael picked the team that would go on. he was most excited when she would bring up BYU's name...
oh, and chelsey made it! i guess peopel were busy this morning.
and with chelsey's entry she becomes the true duck :) sorry jonny.
dang cougars. they played so well. they played well enough to win and they choked. that is the story of BYU basketball and it is dissapointing. oh well.
I don't know how I'm going to break the news about BYU to Michael in the morning. It was just me and Michael tonight as Paul is on call. We watched the precious few 2 minutes CBS played of the game, then watched the tiny score box at the top of the screen for a little longer. When I finally took him upstairs to bed BYU was loosing, and he was a little upset. Here's how it went:
Michael: "Oh, man. BYU is woosing??" (pouty bottom lip and big round eyes)
Me: "They are, but the game isn't over yet."
Michael: "Well, is just BYU football winning?" (excitement returning to his face)
Me: "Well, the football season is over, and there won't be another game for very many months."
Michael: "Is BYU soccer winning?"
Me: "I don't think they have a game right now, either, buddy."
Michael: "Well, what about BYU golf? Maybe they are winning."
As you can see... somewhere, somehow BYU is always winning to Michael. I told him that I was sure that somewhere there was a cougar winning at something. He seemed content enough with that to continue up the stairs to bed.
So BYU’s basketball season is over. I was telling my dad that I don't know how I'm going to break the news to him in the morning... his NCAA bracket does have BYU winning the entire championship (along with his Grandpappy and Aunt Libby). He also has New Mexico St. going to the final four (his favorite cousins must live in New Mexico??). Perhaps he and I will both get better at the bracket thing. And there's always football season to look forward to in the fall.
yup Michael, BYU hurt us badly. But that's what being a true blue fan is all about. Even after they lose, we look forward to them winning next time. Like you said, I'm sure a cougar is winning somewhere.
Amy: I think you ought to send that to the Letters to the Editor at BYU or The Daily Herald or the Deseret News. It captures the spirit of the Y!
Libby: Long live the dream of the Y!
Speaking of winning Cougars, guess who just moved into our ward? Jonny Harline. The Bishop asked him on Sunday how long he planned on being in the ward. His response was, "Well, you know, the NFL draft is coming up soon, so probably just a few months." Won't it be exciting to find out where he'll be heading...
I am jealous of the Harline news.
The shirt says it all (picture on this post). I guess I am the dregs of not only our little competition, but behind over 1.8 million others that are playing this game. Congrats to Fwandsen.
Upsetting loss by BYU. No 5-12 upsets this year. Guess you can't trust the numbers.
Surprised how difficult a time the Ducks had with... who were they playing again? Better luck next round, A.J... That will be a tougher game.
I'm so sorry Micheal. But yes... somewhere a cougar is marching on to fame and victory. Be it football, track and field, or even Jeopardy, there is a cougar out there winning... and hey, I consider myself a cougar, and I won a game of 21 this morning.... so there!
Congrats, Matt.
i said it once, but BYU was underseeded and had to play a tough xavier team who took ohio state to overtime (really had them beat but for poor foul shooting in the end).
can you say home court advantage for louisville? how did the 3 seed get a game 80 miles from the 6 seeds home court? the crowd is willing louisville back into this one.
big blow to the bracket. big blow.
the scenario generator is up on the yahoo tourney (upper right hand corner). it is fun to play with who might or might not win and who would win. right now, if all the lower seeded teams went to the final four then the deej would win. nice work the deej. giving the underdogs life!
Great day for ball. I haven't seen this many overtime games in one day in my life. I think that there were a total of 5 or 6 cliffhangers out of 8.
Couldn't agree more about the seeding. It is hard, however, to blame anyone but BYU for that. They did lose to UNLV (I know, I know... they had home court advantage for the MWC tourney... but still) and hence lost a better seeding that could have seen them a couple of more rounds in. At least we had a BYU team that was unwilling to choke late in the season. Hopefully coach Rose can turn them into they type of boys Bronco would be proud of. They have good talent coming back next year...
Xavier should have taken down Ohio State. The botched foul shot and the push by Oden (that should have been flagrant) did them in.
My comment about a BYU team not choking late in the season was in reference to the football team. I'm on antihistamines and can't think straight.
oh great. we've got matt commenting while he's all hopped up on bendaryl.
how can I see the brackets without having one myself. I didn't make it in time to get one started.
Matt's all hopped up on mountain dew!
marc: i don't know if it would work, but you could try getting a yahoo account and using the group and log-in info i gave out in the original post for joining the tournament.
great form michael!
paul,
I can't find a way so I will just have to see how it all works out
go watch the movie on my web log.
Paul,
Is this the basketball setup purchased during your notorious two-hour disappearance? Amy told me.
The b-ball setup is sweet. And believe me, your spontaneity is something which endears you to us all. It is part of your “Fwandsen” mystique.
Yes... this is the result of the Disappearance of Saturday.
We parted ways at a similar time at the YMCA after Michael's soccer practice. I got home and prepared lunch, fed lunch to the girls, put them down for a nap, and busied myself with other things until it had been 2 hours and I was just plain worried.
Paul had both phones with him.
I emailed his pager... no answer.
I took the baby monitor with me over to the neighbor's house to call the phone...
... and they were at Wal-mart making a final purchase on a basketball set up. I was just glad something wasn't wrong. I had imagined the worst and worried my head off--a tendency I think I get from my dad (right dad??).
The basketball set-up has resulted in hours of fun... a good call by Paul. Good jorb, hun.
Does micheal like saying Gonzaga?
Hmmm, fun name game. 4 people have my name and 99.9% of them are female. I wonder who the .1 is?
Only 2 people are named Jill Frandsen. I guess that would be 3 if I counted myself. But I can't really count myself since I'm no longer Jill Frandsen.
I'm wasting too much time on this, but I just tried Shosh and it says there are zero Shauna Frandsens in the U.S. Sooo...what does that mean?
I think zero means none but her? It certainly isn't perfect as there are no risenmays at all.
Amy and I had fun last night putting in others in our family whose names changed. Melinda's name became more unique and Elisabeth Jone's name is definitely used more than her previous name..:)
according to them nobody in the US is named Jonny without the H (ie Johnny)
There are 0 people in the US with the last name Risenmay. Who would have thunk it?
Alas, I am still a bottom dweller in the tourney picks.
Farcles, I still think your icon is ultra-sweet.
don't worry matty. you and i just need to ride florida and georgetown to the top.
a lot is riding on the games today!
Post a Comment