Sunday, February 25, 2007

she walks...

cue the 'amahl and the night visitors' score.



bekah has been taking steps for over a month. however, this week she has decided that she prefers walking to crawling in most instances. my schedule has kept me out of the house during their waking hours, so it was fun to sit on the floor today and have the girls circle around me and 'talk' to me.

as i drove home from the hospital post-call today i almost headed straight to the church building for the last 40 minutes in my scrubs. after that thought crossed my mind with all its attendant fashion concerns, i had a new-found respect for my father. i don't recall all the details, but as a child i remember seeing him at our church in ventura in his scrubs to teach his lesson to the youth. the hospital was next door and he would sneak over during call to teach. that type of defiance of fashion (and dedication to a calling) demands respect.

these are a few pictures from last sunday. i thank jill for teaching us how to 'corn syrup' bows to poor unsuspecting girls heads. amy faithfully affixes these ribbons on their hairless heads to give their heads the femininity their dresses require.

the results are fun:


it's a shame i had to mess up the view in this picture by jumping in between them.



and finally, a few random thoughts.

i turned on the first ten minutes of 'flags of our fathers' and i cannot wait to watch it. i was riveted from the get-go.

'friday night lights' is the second best drama on television (not that i have seen any other television dramas besides 24 this year). tivo it. watch the last three weeks on nbc.com.

my brother is pretty witty.

i heard an NPR listener impune rush limbaugh because he openly admitted to conducting his show to get an audience and hold them. i then sat through 'mail' from NPR listeners who skewered all things conservative. what about NPR's spinning their coverage with the aim of holding onto the listeners who are donating during membership drives? i'm not a rush fan (rush's funding sources are the least of his concerns. peter, am i wrong?), but there is a smug arrogance in thinking because you use big words and feign impartiality that you have the corner on 'the truth'. i listen to NPR everyday on the way to work and i prefer the depth of their coverage to grant and amanda's treatment of our world (not to mention the graphic content on other southern california morning radio stations--i've been shocked). however, my skeptic meter is often tested on the way to work...

amy isn't going to know what to think of my late night, post-call ramblings, but indulge me please. we enjoy all your comments and are glad you come to visit us on the web now and then.

21 comments:

Dad (TMF) said...

Paul: Green is in. Don't worry about fashion. After watching Bekah walk, I couldn't help but think 'one girl up each aisle.' Fox is the only 'fair and balanced--you decide.' Call does make one ramble.

Dad (TMF) said...

Paul: Green is in. Don't worry about fashion. After watching Bekah walk, I couldn't help but think 'one girl up each aisle.' Fox is the only 'fair and balanced--you decide.' Call does make one ramble.

petey said...

paul/amy.
holy cow! when did you girls grow up so big? there aren't little babies any more. super cute.

tracy.
F- fascistly
O- one sided
X- eXtemist news...

Matt said...

No one will argue with you about NPR's leftist qualities. I believe that I have heard more than one program on baby seals by NPR.

Despite their need to feel intellectually superior, I still believe that they represent the better part of the left (this is where my father fits in). Though they do spin left, and often criticize without proposing pragmatic solutions, I have found much of their programming to be truly humanitarian and thought-provoking. There is never a true balance, because everyone is being paid by someone, and those that work for free are intrinsically unbalanced.

Paul, I just enjoyed "All These Things That I've Done" again. Thank you for introducing me time and time again to music that is rawl. I have been slowly contributing to iTunes' profits.

Petey, you sound like my dad. You two would get along.

libby said...

I like to listen to NPR to balance out the only other radio talk station I've found here in pittsburgh (sean hannity, glen and rose, rush, and michael savage), and balance it does. How about the academy giving 'an inconvenient truth' an oscar? yes, former vice president Al Gore accepted an oscar last night. Hmmmm... I say, politicians stick to politics, and actors stick to acting (although it does sound like the terminator is doing a good job in California, and I hear Ronald Reagan was a pretty good president. So maybe just Al Gore should stay out of the artistic scene).

patty said...

Oh my cute girls. We can't wait for them stay with us.

Amy F said...

I'd rather have Al Gore focus on the "arts" than politics. And my, he's changed. Doesn't he look like a different person.

DVRing the Oscars is awesome... you can fast-forward right through all the "Our industry is the best... we are so important... we change the world..." speeches. Not that they aren't important or life-changing...

And as for radio/news programming, I don't get a good share of it right now, but when I do I like to balance it out... dabble in the "conservative" and the "liberal" and make my own choice. I wouldn't want to be a dittohead for anyone.

Amy F said...

Cute Michael story: We were talking about his primary class, and he informed us that he is such a big boy to go to Primary. He asked us which class we go to at church, and remembered: "Oh, yeah. You guys go to the boring class."

Then we introduced him to the word "adult" and told him that moms and dads and other adults go to our Sunday School classes. He piped up and said, "Yeah, you guys that have the fruits of your loinses." He is remembering Lehi's speeches to his sons in 2nd Nephi when we had a big discussion about what fruit of the loins means. He knows whose fruit he and Abby and Bekah are.

Amy F said...

OK... here's another while I have a captive audience. You all know how Michael loves to pretend to be other things (mostly football players and cars). Yesterday he had been a football player most of the day, but had changed identities unbeknownst to me. I said, "Are you a football player?" and he looked at me with frustration and said--"I just work so hard being all the different people." It is true that a child's work is play.

Jill T said...

I agree with Peter. Your girls do look so big these days! Not like babies, but little girls! You two made beautiful children!

paul said...

it was interesting hearing my physician friend rich talk about the journalists who would come from national newspapers, magazine, radio and television. often their first words were 'we are on board' or 'we want this to happen' or 'we completely agree'. (rich is trying to drain lake powell by the way). much of media is driven by opinion with the veneer of impartiality that gives a seductive and persuasive feel of truth. scary. i'm excited for the effect the internet and blogging have had on debunking mainstream media myths and keeping news organizations honest.

the mainstream media took a swipe at romney yesterday. and rush defended him.

if you google romney and click on all 140+ articles that come up first, the majority of them talk about his ancestors being polygamists. some non-mormon from salt lake and an anti-romney from boston co-wrote an article about his great-great-grandpa. blog of liberal and conservative ilk are buzzing about the religious bigotry displayed. no one is talking about obama's father or any other candidates fathers. let alone their great-great-great relatives that were born and died before the civil rights movement even began. it will be an interesting political season. i think romney will be able to ward off the attacks in a powerful way and will mormonism to the forefront of american thought like never before...

Jill T said...

Paul-

Interesting. I do think it's funny that people would look at a candidates great-great grandfather. Who cares? It will be a good race though, and definitely one for the times: a Mormom, a black man, a woman. Steven's aunt said Gladys Knight should just run and cover all the bases. It's nice to see the diversity though.

Anyway, here is a blog you might be interested in. http://iowansforromney.blogspot.com I don't know them personally, but some of our friends in Iowa do. Granted it is about Romney in Iowa, but they've dedicated the whole blog to Romney's race. So if you're a Romney fan, check it out.

Matt said...

Paul,

It is funny (not ha-ha funny) that as often as the religious right is persecuted by mainstream media for superstition and bigotry, the media seems to be displaying these exact characteristics as per their reporting on the generations of Romney. It makes you wonder about all those people that scream ignorance.

Aaron Joseph said...

It's sad that you can still be thrashed for your ancestry, Paul, but with a Mormon, a black man and a female in the mix, brace yourself for ignorant comments all over the internet.

Matt, you're right. Nobody introduces the fresh new hits quite like paul. My love for Weezer and The Killers can be attributed to sir Frandsen's DJ'ing on road trips.

Oh ya, I'm feeling a Byu vs Oregon rematch in the big dance. Do your worst!

paul said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
paul said...

good to hear from you matt and aj. i looked into the killers LA concert, but i work both days...oh well.

aj: what a sweet game to watch byu beat air force at home. that was a huge game for the cougs and may bode well for their ability to perform in the MWC tournament and the NCAA tournament.

MJ said...

I am ashamed to say that this is the first time I have checked this blog this week and boy am I disappointed that I didn't see that video sooner! Priceless. You two have such beautiful, happy children (although I don't have the 24hr. perspective, I am sure that statement stands :) ).

...I wonder who Hillary's great grandfather and mother are and what kind of lives they lead...Or Barak's or John Mccain's for that matter. Just kidding. The media sure has a different agenda with their coverage about the Romney campaign.

paul said...

it's a great questions melinda. one that points of the disparity evident. there are a lot disparaging the article, but the fact stands that it went out on the AP wire to 100's (1000's?) of papers across the country. many of those people will only see the headline and deem romney untruthful.

bekah had the first 'accident' of her young life in the tub today. amy literally had her 'hands full' this morning.

MJ said...

Do we want to know the details? Just the inference sounds gross. Amy, what a good mom you are.

Amy F said...

I have been known to have a very "keen" sense of smell. My dad would tell you about how I kept a strong pinch on my nostrils whenever we'd visit my uncle's dairy farm. I can smell good food anywhere… and, well, Paul could tell you a wide variety of stories. But somehow my mothering "instincts" or whatever it is has a way of overriding my sense of smell to do whatever needs to be done. In the above mentioned scene, once Paul saw me with my hands full and I flushed Bekah’s bathtub "accident" down the toilet... my mind flashed back to several years ago...

I remember, as a teenager, being at some activity with my family... I think we were serving people in a nursing home. I don't remember if it was AJ or Todd or Marc, but whichever one was the toddler at the time was in my charge and I was walking down the hall with him. He got sick and threw up all over. The stench didn't take long to reach my nose, and I darted for the nearest garbage can and threw up myself. I don’t know what happened to the toddler-brother… it was all a blur. I was just too overcome.

I remember worrying and worrying that, when I was a mother, I would have an extremely hard time cleaning up throw-up and… well… so many other things... We talked to Michael about Superman and being a Protector for the sisters. I feel, in so many ways, that I have been given many “super powers” that are beyond my own as I watch over my children. To me, it attests to the importance of the responsibility I have been given.

Allan said...

More pictures requested ASAP!
And Amy... your "keen sense of smell." You know who you inherited that one from!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails