
Some of you may have seen the cape he got for Christmas: Superman on one side and Batman on the other. It has kind of been in the corner until Paul and I rented "Superman Returns" this week. Paul decided to show Michael some of the scenes where Superman saves people: from falling cars, planes, and a huge globe; from sinking ships, explosions, and huge pieces of alien rock. Michael LOVED it, and recovered his cape from the corner of the playroom right away. Now he can be found flying from room to room, humming the Superman theme song in perfect time. And you guessed it... he prefers to be called by his super name: Superman.

No feat is too small for this superhero. He proclaims his identity as a protector as he keeps Abby from unrolling the toilet paper, blocks Bekah from crawling outside, and rescues toys and papers from the mouths of the babies. He wears his cape to the park, to Costco, to the grocery store... and we're going to have to let him down easy about it NOT coming to church.
His favorite thing is playing Superman with daddy, because Paul holds him in the flying position and takes him soaring from room to room and goes "super fast!" He flies past all the obstacles... past the lamps, over the couches, and around the table--all the while singing the Superman theme song.
The Superman phase seems to be a rite of passage for all little boys... it is just fun to see it happening to Michael.
What about you? Did you have a Superman phase? Supergirl? Whom did you idolize? Spiderman, Batman, the Spice Girls? I remember AJ's 10-year Batman fanaticism (did it ever really end??)... those were good times.

26 comments:
My superhero was Superman, although he was in black and white. Batman? I wondered why he had a cape if he didn't fly. A cape helps you fly, doesn,t it?
those videos are great! Amy, did you make the cape? I don't remember every worshipping a superhero, but I did love the Brady Bunch. I used to hit the tv to try and break it so I could jump in and be a part of their family.
Yikes, Jill. Hope you were never actually successful with that one. I bought the cape at the Quilted Bear in Provo... a good investment for Zach and baby boy???
And dad, Michael wondered about Batman's abilities as well. If you asked him, he'd tell you that Batman does "really far, high jumps" which I'm sure are aided by the cape (plus it looks really cool).
dad r: it is true what you say about batman and flying. michael has been batman lately and asked me if i could make him fly. i picked him up and informed him that batman didn't fly but he dropped. i succinctly dropped him on the bean bag. he loved it and since that time has been asking to help him drop like batman.
jill: you may not want to introduce a cape to zach until he's given the brady bunch and superman a fair shake. who knows he may prefer greg brady to the man of steel...?
i finished richard bushman's rough stone rolling months ago. i absolutley loved it. what a powerful book of faith in the face of a stark, unflinching view of joseph and church history.
some are saying that his book will irrevocably change the landscape of how members and non-members view joseph smith and force reconciliation of previously held biases and notions.
i found this podcast tonight of bushman talking (among several other things) about his crisis of faith while a freshman at harvard. it is a moving discussion of his journey of faith in the face of steep, liberal criticism of all things religious at the harvard.
i haven't listend to it all yet, but the parts i did listen to were moving.
amy, just make sure that paul doesn't tell michael that superman wears his underwear outside of his pants. I blame any of my shortcomings to that traumatic jump rope rime that dad teased me with.
I can't wait for 24
AHHHHHHH, My hero was Mr. Smith in Lost in Space :) Never fear for Smith is here. I use too go around saying never fear for Cracraft's here. hahahaha. AJ I remember too well you zooming from room to room, Batman will live for ever in the Risenmay and Frandsen family, No boy should be allowed to escape the Hero faze. Yes Allan The cape has magical powers and when ever Supreman was falling up or down the cape was needed for the force of take off and landing. Amy only super Nephi's and Moroni's go to church . What a fun stage. Yep I see some super blue blood running through that boys vains.
i had my own version of macho man. and yes the pictures exist... somewhere.
aj: i was thinking about the underwear comment...i guess it's nice that michael didn't notice that 'minor' detail about superman's costume. i will keep it from him for now, in the name of decency and shelter for my little boy.
mary ann: good to know the cape has magical powers. that will add to michael's cape's mystique.
peter: was that the donald duck macho man? we had a tape with donald singing that song.
Mary Ann... I will tell him about super Nephi and Moroni.
Peter... I want to see pictures at the next family reunion. Better yet... on your blog (now that it is private!).
Although it pained AJ to realize that his superhero did not know the proper place to wear his underwear, it did not change his alegience, nor his dedication to Batman. I wonder how many action figures filled our house in those days.
24 tonight... what can Bauer do?
It may be worth telling Michael that it is Kryptonite growing in his nose.
Brinlee is going (still) through a princess stage. It shows the difference between boys and girls. Girls consider dancing around all day in fancy clothes a "charmed life"... (boooooring). Boys prefer having supernatural powers used to destroy the bad guys a "charmed life"... (cool).
i don't want to be politically incorrect or discriminate. maybe i should buy michael a tutu...
Paul-
Even if you buy Michael a tutu, he probably won't wear it. We have plenty of that princess stuff around our house, but Zach just isn't interested. I consider that a good thing. I just showed the kids Michael's flying and they kept saying, "I want to watch it again!" Funny how girls can be into superheroes, but it's not quite as cool when boys are into princesses. Although, Zach does tell me sometimes that he is Prince Charming.
Prince Charming = okay. A good forum for teacing manners and chivalry. Paul is always telling Michael that he should treat his sisters like queens... I love it.
I remember when Matt would be Ken for my Barbies. Remember, Matty??? (Ken DID get to drive a cool red Barbie Ferrari.)
Telling Michael that shmoogies = Kryptonite is an interesting tactic... not a bad idea. I keep thinking that this "phase" will end. It's been... what?... 1 1/2 years?? I still remember when the phase first began. He was "doing the yuckies" as we were driving in the car and I said: "Michael, please don't pick your nose. It's yucky." He thought for a moment and gave a very honest, thoughtful answer: "It's not yucky, mamma. It's yummy!" How can you argue with a 2-year-old's taste buds??
what??! you saw that??
unbelievable. looks like my mom and i need to have a little talk. and it wasn't donald duck, it was the ugly duckling...
Amy! I thought we weren't going to mention the finger in the nose, and that phase would go away. Getting a little impatient?
When I was about 5 I loved Superman. I tried a superman thing once...I tried to fly off the roof of our garage when we lived in Shelley, Idaho. It was about that time I became a real beliver in Sir Isaac Newton,
Love you guys
Also...I am delighted Paul and Amy made it to Santa Barbara. Don't Brian and Taryn live in a beautiful place. The ocean right across the highway from thier place. Aunt Jaon and I are going there again early in April. Did you see any Dolphins playing in the surf when you were on the beach? There is almost always a pod of them just off the beach 100 feet or so.
he uncle doug (and aunt joan?). that's quite the story about falling off the roof...were you okay? did you break any bones?
we didn't see any dolphins. to be truthful, we spent very little time looking at the ocean as our two younglings kept eating sand. did you see the dolphins and refugio or el capitan state beach.
i did ride my mountain bike up on the cliffs above the ocean. it was a pretty cool spot.
when are you coming out? it would be great to see you...maybe we can all meet at disneyland? brian asks the girls every once in a while when they're going to the 'happiest place on earth'. brian's means a bit more poignant since they live next to angelina and brad. what could be greater?
Peter,
Aunt Joan and I would like to get in on the your Frandsen Blog site. Please do what ever voo doo you have to dooo to get us on will you.
our address is 7d9j@mstarmetro.net
thanks
Uncle Doug
Paul, about my jumping off the garage roof, my mom saw me just as I was about ready to launch and convinced me that the cape probably would not help me that much...probably because I was not official SuperMan...it was a dish towel pinned around by neck...It is strange how I can remember all this so clearly back about 60 years but I can walk into a room looking for something and by the time I get there I have forgotten what it was I went for.
The Dolphins we saw were on the El
Cap beach...they always seem to be there. Aunt Jaon and I walk over there along the trail on the ranch property and under the over pass. Did you ride your bikes on that trail. It is beautiful with the ocean and all.
We are probably going to be there again mid April. DisneyLand would be great if the girls are out of school. We will have to see.
i agree. the beauty in santa barbara almost matches that of the fairview property. both are relaxing though.
i'm glad you didn't jump.
amy is coming to utah the end of april. we will be out of town starting the 17th. if you are there before then it might work...
oh, and uncle doug. i sent you some voo doo to get onto my dad's blog.
Post a Comment