The anticipation was at its peak this morning as he dressed in his shirt and tie. We reminded him that today was the big day, and his eyes lit up. "And I will say it loud and clear so everyone can hear."
We had practiced each night, and he had thought of very good things to pray about at primary: gratitude for his teachers, friends, and for Jesus. Blessings for the teachers, and their singing time. He knew he didn't need any help, and that he would be a big primary kid and do it all by himself.
We walked into the primary room and he went to his seat with the rest of his class... but his teacher helped him find the special "PRAYER" seat in the front of the room. He sat in solemnity, and checked the letters on the seat several times to make sure they still said "PRAYER." Paul and I sat with anticipation in the back of the room as they sang the opening song.
After the song, his teacher alerted him that it was time for him to pray. He snapped his head to the podium, then edged off the PRAYER seat, and disappeared behind the podium until his little feet found the step-stool.
His eyes formed into half-squints and he resolutely folded his arms. The room was silent, and he began: “Dear Heavenly Father.” He began to be grateful, then paused for a few seconds. Just then, a presidency member jumped to the podium to help, and the remainder of Michael’s prayer was a soft-spoken repetition of the whisperings in his ear.
I’m not quite sure what she had him say, but I know it was a lot longer that what Michael had practiced—and talked a lot about “Primary…”
I’m only sad that Michael’s thoughtful plans were not put to use as we all intended. Those few seconds of hesitation must have been seen as a “freeze” that needed rescuing. But I am sure his practiced words would have followed with a little more time. Perhaps we should have let them know he was prepared to say it by himself?
All in all, it was a good experience for Michael. He told us later… “Yeah, and I said it loud and clear so everyone could hear… and it was a really long one.”
That’s what we get for encouraging a recited prayer.


23 comments:
good job michael!
have michael pray for jack tonight. he's gonna need it!
we've been avoiding using jack's name around the boy because last season he would come from his bed asking to watch jack.
we'll keep him safe lafe.
I was wondering how the prayer went. I bet he looked adorable. And yes, let's keep him from praying for Jack. There are so many more important things to pray for!
I'm looking forward to hearing about the first scripture and talk and primary program, etc...
Jill... just wait... it's just around the corner for you! There's no way you can prepare for the mix of emotion of walking your child to Primary for the first time... I try not to be over dramatic, but it really was a big deal to me. I wonder what the kindergarten transition will do to me! But he does love Primary, as I KNOW your kiddos will... they are so social anyway.
Yes, we try to keep prayers about REAL life, Peter. A good principle.
Paul has a really, really hard time not watching 24 really, really loud. I think it ended up keeping Michael awake longer than we would have liked one night. So this time we're going to have to wait until he is really, really asleep to start watching it.
jack needs our help. and if prayers will do it, then lets do what we need to do to keep america safe from the 4 extra visitors.
Don't you think 24 is much more graphic than usual? It was almost too much for me in some parts, I'm surprised Lafe sat through it.
Michael: Way to go with the prayer buddy! I teach a class in primary--it would have been so fun to be in your primary watching you!uxzgy
libby: i just had funs with my friends. i got honey on it and tatsted it and it was good. mom is so fun and i go pee pee in my trailer (michael is lightening mcqueen and the bathroom is his trailer).
Micheal,
Sweet helmet and pads. You are speed.
you know michael, lightning mcqueen had many girls at one port.
Jonny... keep your own port protocol to your own progeny.
REMEMBER no 24 spoilers on this post... we just watched this week's episode this afternoon during naptime... I just despise waiting so long between episodes.
Libby... what age kiddos do you and DJ teach?? Those lucky kids.
This week's preschool letter is R, and would you believe that one of the words/activities they focused on this Monday was Racecar?? Michael's teacher sure knows him (and his friend Caleb) well.
sorry amy
jonny: amy's words sounded harsh (she was joshing you). you know jonny, that we would let you tell everything you have ever done to our kids (as they become of appropriate age) without even a little reservation.
True, that. Our children have wonderful aunts and uncles (and more to come as our siblings marry!) to look up to. Thank you ALL for being interested and involved in our children's lives... you make such a difference.
Jonny... you may teach my children about what you learned about porting principles... I just want to be there to reinforce any particularly relevant points. :)
I must have missed something about porting or ports or something... Is this a subject that was covered in the latest installment of the Frandsen family newsletter?
matt: yes. my father, as a young man used to have different 'female interests' in the surrounding rural towns of central utah (ie. manti, nephi, gunnison, salina etc). he called it having a girl in every port. he said it was a reasonable thing to do if you are respectful of the portees.
Amy, I do recall you managing a couple of ports back in the day. Have you planned on providing your previous port protocol position to your progeny?
She is going to kill me for that comment. Can I take it back?
michael.
jack needs your help!
Matt... did you ever actually pay attention to my dating life??
Amy: we teach CTR 6. They're a little crazy, but they're fun and they all gave me a hug on the way out the door on Sunday. In fact, one girl told me I was the best teacher she's ever had (that was after only two minutes of sitting together in Primary when she noticed I brought treats).
Michael: the trailer is a good place to go pee pee. And, you did such a good job reciting 1 Nephi 3:7! I just watched you and I've been telling all my friends about it.
matt U should have paid more att: while reading Amy's journal. But After I was through with you - guess U forgot all that U retained. :)
1
Post a Comment