Michael was beat. He came to the airport to pick up Dad the night before and didn't get to bed until after 11 pm.
We found parking, put on our BYU paraphenalia (a decision hotly debated as we would be sitting in the student section...) and walked to the stadium.

Michael was fascinated by the 'life size' players and fans to be found in Jonny's binoculars...
The game was filled with frustrating times...
Sweet passes...

And Exciting times...

Much has been written about the greatest game in the storied rivalry, and I won't attempt to wax poetic. The final quarter was PACKED with intrigue, excitement and frustration. We were booed, taunted, mocked and jeered. We were loud, enthusiastic, boisterous and excited. As the last minute wound down I felt tense, hopeful and dejected all at once. I watched the sea of red below us and wondered if we would get out of the stadium without event--regardless the outcome. As we watched Beck dance back and forth behind the line of scrimmage it was surreal...

When Harline caught the ball and we realized what had just happened we erupted with emotion. We were hugging people we had never met. We had a mosh pit of hugging BYU strangers in the middle of which were Michael and I. He was squooshed and lost his gum. It startled him and things were not set right until we replaced his gum. After the drama we celebrated and celebrated. We didn't leave the stadium until we had snaked some poms poms as souveniers, sung the BYU fight song, reveled and yelled at the stadium and generally had our fill.


21 comments:
A beautiful post about a beautiful day. I doubt, however, that the group of BYU fans at the U after the final pass were any louder than the households of the thousands who were watching at home (or wherever we possibly could). Go Cougars! Go Beck! Go Harline!
Micheal, I can understand your momentary confusion and frustration upon loosing your gum. I doubt that it will sour your experience and hope that it is one you will remember forever.
A legendary game, indeed. We have pictures to prove we were there... and it can be a piece of personal trivia Michael can share throughout his life. "Oh yeah?? Well I was at the BYU v Utah win of 2006..." Response: "oooooooooo, aaaaahhhhhh...."
It was a good time to be visiting Utah.
We're still crossing our fingers for some sweet Vegas Bowl tickets.
I will forever be proud to say that I was at the legendary game of 2006. DJ is still feeling the effects as his voice is completely gone and it cracks every time he tries to speak. But it was worth it not only to revel in the excitement of the BYU fans afterward, but to see the looks on the faces of those dreaded U fans. Go cougars!!! Ryan and Cutler: are you gonna jump on our band wagon now?
i'm sorry i didn't completely endulge myself as a true xy frandsen carrier.
i didn't however listen to the first 10 min of the game the last 2 mins of the game (right after utah scored their last touchdown) via the internet on ksl radio.
still yelled and cheered with the one other BYU fan i happened to be with. hig fives were had all around.
so basically everytime drive that i listened to, BYU scored a touchdown. who knows what happened in between that time...
good times...
micheal's gum was lost and he was confused?
Anonymous... please post your name with your comment. It freaks me out when you don't.
Michael lost his gum, and it upset him to the point of tears... at which time his mother heard him and realized he was in the middle of a mosh pit... much to her dismay!
At that point I (the mother) grabbed him out to comfort him, but he just wanted his gum back! Poor little dude.
Paul and I were on the BYU campus doing a little Christmas shopping (lots of cougars on our list, you know!) and overheard lots of people still talking about the game. Paul still hasn't taken the flag off of our car. It is a good thing none of our destinations have taken us into Salt Lake County, or we may not have a vehicle fit to take us back to California in a few days!
wait....BYU played Utah?
my funny brother.
amy.
paul.
white strips...? if so how many?
yes. one box please. thank you.
I can't say I understand what you're talking about
Amy and Paul,
Did you realize that some of us are planning on being in your house watching the BYU game on the 21st? Your mention of being at the Las Vegas Bowl make me think that you do not realize this.
On the other hand... since you are Santa's little helpers, maybe you could tell him how much the Risenmay family would like to congregate in Vegas, watch the game, and caravan the rest of the way to Redlands celebrating the beginning of, dare I say it.... a dynasty.......
Matt... you read our thoughts exactly. Except, I don't think Santa is in on it... but AJ sure is.
While you've been lost to us with your airline fiasco, AJ and dad and I cooked up the plan to meet up in Vegas for the Bowl game before everyone comes to CA. Actually, that is how AJ and I spent the better part of the morning. OSU finally had their tickets go on sale this a.m. at 9 (BYU tickets have all been sold, and Paul and I barely got ours thanks to some family friends). I was on the phone/internet while AJ stood in line at the box office. Our plan was to get 15... plenty to for all of us to attend and extras to make some sweet moolah on ebay. Starting at 8:58 I phoned and refreshed my computer screen over and over and over and over and over....
By 9:20 AJ was at the front of the line and we think he got the last 2... that's right only two. Shortly after that, the phone and webpage told me they are sold out to the "general public." They told me they are selling to the OSU donors, and whatever is left over on Monday at 9am they will sell. I guess this morning's scene will replay on Monday, and hopefully there will be tickets to buy. No promises, I guess. Save up, b/c they are $50 each.
That's the deal. I think it would be a blast for everyone to go. Petey and Steve-o... you want to fly in if we can get you tickets???????? Don't pretend like you don't know what I'm talking about. Cheeky.
Regardless, let the dynasty begin...
If you can't get tickets for me, I'll just tailgate and drink. I would, however, prefer tickets. Let me know if I can help.
i kick myself everytime i think of it, but i was on the phone 4 weeks ago and the lady offered as many $20 tickets as i wanted. i chose not to buy because i wasn't sure who would want to come...i'm a dang fool...
Best rivalry game ever!! Wish i could have been there, but i watched the whole thing with 10 of my best friends (5 cougs, 5 Utes), It was great getting the last laugh.
the best part after 'the catch' was when the camera focused in on whittingham. The look on his face was priceless!!
Wittingham = not impressive. But I am just judging superficially of course... hanging his playbook from the front of his pants just doesn't impress me.
Bronco, on the other hand, is a stud.
And we've been keeping up with Urban and the Gators... he was a stud, too. A class act.
i'm glad you had some utes around to enjoy the win with...
Post a Comment